TechSpot

Microsoft appeals €899 million EU antitrust fine

By Matthew
May 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is back in court today to challenge an €899 million ($1.3 billion) antitrust fine issued by the European Court of Justice in 2008. The fine was a record high…

Read the whole story

2. Emin3nce

Emin3nce TS Rookie Posts: 129

Typical.

3. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

I fully support Microsoft in this. I'm tired of all of these EU fines. Of all of the ones publicized on this website, there hasn't been a single one that I felt was reasonable

4. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

The story of a company playing stupid and getting their sheep slapped for doing so.

5. GunsAblazin

GunsAblazin TS Rookie Posts: 75

Microsoft knows exactly what they are doing and if they hadn't played stupid they wouldn't have to pay the fine. This is typical Microsoft and their non-competitive ways. They deserve every penny of the fine.

6. GunsAblazin

GunsAblazin TS Rookie Posts: 75

The EU don't play that.

7. Microsoft will never learn.

8. yeah... right

microsoft bullying everyone...

9. The EU isn't a pure free market for a reason. They have decided to level the playing field by making sure big companies like MS can't bully other providers out of the market through taking advantage of their monopolies. MS has to play ball in these conditions or they can get out of the market. They still have a monopoly so why get out? They should just comply instead of trying to argue to another country's standards (their own).

10. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 551

You fully support Microsoft outpricing everyone Hampering software development, preventing it moving forward, and preventing new businesses from starting up without having massive debt/ paying massive fees to mircosoft.

The Euro government will not let any company in any business become so big that they control an entire market. If microsoft where a government they would be a dictatorship.

11. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 964   +49

Except, it doesn't?

They have barely touched Google, who seems to be having plenty of problems of its own in Europe. When you really think about it, exhibits quite a remarkable number of similar traits to Microsoft in terms of behavior. It's just more graceful on the outside and in handling things and is everyones favorite big brother, so people don't mind it... as much.

12. SSaywell

SSaywell TS Rookie Posts: 39

I live in the UK and personally hate the EU and view shared by many others for a number of reason. In relation to MS the fine was stupid and I hope MS get there money back, the EU are so annoying, I pay a fair amount a year to get Sky Sport, used to get every match then the f*cking EU said it had to be split between more than one company meaning I'm expected to pay out about £15 ($24) per month so that I can watch my team on the odd occasion they are on that channel, now Sky have put there prices because the EU forced them to put down the prices they were selling there content to other company and paying over a billion pounds for just one of the sports they show ment to cover costs they had to put prices up for there own customers, so now bob down the street pays less to watch the same as I do, again f*ucking EU, it was good how it was leave alone, nobody even likes you. What the hell they are doing fines americans companys is simply beond me.

13. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,577   +47

@S Saywell

I'm with you bud. The EU's been nothing but a thorn in the UK's side for a long time now regarding certain laws and ways. No border control, EU working time directive, the EU human rights act, plus alot of other things.

I'de love to know how they worked out the fine of $1.3 billion...

14. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,910   +91

A rather benevolent dictatorship to be sure, demonstrated by the affordability of their products...(everyone and their dog uses them) The nasty dictatorial tyrant also offers wide ranging discount packages, see student,education,non-profit etc...etc.....and the Chairman of the place runs around the planet spending billions on third world and underprivileged countries, while operating the worlds largest non-operating foundation. _The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

....not exactly Pol Pot ey?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.