Microsoft confirms all Xbox One consoles have been discontinued

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Pour one out for the Xbox One. Microsoft has just confirmed that it discontinued the Xbox One S at the end of 2020, having previously said it stopped manufacturing the other Xbox One versions earlier that same year.

With the all-new Xbox Series X/S on the horizon, Microsoft announced in July 2020 that it was discontinuing the Xbox One X and the all-digital Xbox One S, leaving only the standard version of the Xbox One S (with the disc drive) as the sole remaining previous-gen Microsoft console still in production.

Now, however, Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox console product marketing, has told The Verge that “to focus on production of Xbox Series X / S, we stopped production for all Xbox One consoles by the end of 2020.”

All that’s left now is for retailers to sell whatever remaining Xbox One X/S stock they have left. After that point, their sale will likely be restricted to second-hand stores and auction sites.

Confirmation that the entire Xbox One line is no longer in production comes the day after Sony reportedly decided to continue manufacturing the PlayStation 4 in response to the shortage of PS5s. The company was supposed to end PS4 production either late last year or in 2022, but instead opted to increase output to meet the demand from gamers unable to get hold of a current-gen machine.

While both the PS5 and Xbox Series X are out of stock at most retailers, Microsoft’s less powerful Xbox Series S has been a lot easier to come by. Since the latest Xbox consoles went on sale, the Xbox Series S has outperformed the Xbox Series X in "several key markets,” with an estimated 50/50 split in terms of install base across major territories.

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer explained one of the reasons why the Xbox Series S is in more plentiful supply: “We can actually build more of the Series S [chips] in the same [chip] die space as we can the Series X,” he said. Microsoft also claims that the Xbox Series X/S systems are selling faster than any previous generation of its consoles.

Permalink to story.

Microsoft is doing the smart thing here.
Producing Xbox One consoles at this point is a waste of resources.

#1 The Xbox One S and Xbox One X should have never been split apart. Microsoft should have produced a single console and sold just that so that everyone's performance and specs were equal.

It makes no sense to produce those consoles anymore since they are so weak, they can't run new games well at all (ala Cyberpunk 2077 or Battlefield 2042)

#2 The Xbox One Series S and Series X should only be one console.

This way everyone has the same specs and performance. The Xbox One X and PS5 are inferior to the RTX 3080 (and above) PC, but they are capable of decent gaming if you could find one.

PRoducing just one console would streamline the production process.

#1 The Xbox One S and Xbox One X should have never been split apart. Microsoft should have produced a single console and sold just that so that everyone's performance and specs were equal.

It makes no sense to produce those consoles anymore since they are so weak, they can't run new games well at all (ala Cyberpunk 2077 or Battlefield 2042)

This way everyone has the same specs and performance. The Xbox One X and PS5 are inferior to the RTX 3080 (and above) PC, but they are capable of decent gaming if you could find one.

The free market has spoken, there are multiple profitable tiers of console that Microsoft services. And they want more consoles, as evident by sony selling every PS4 they can make.

#2 is on devs, not on the consoles themselves. It's been explained that games like GTA V, RDR2, and the witcher 3 (built ont he same engine as CP2077) have no issues running on old consoles. CP2077 and BF2042 have been unmitigated trashfires.

I've read other articles that the Series S are made from processors that didn't meet the requirements for the Series X. If this is the case then it is quite genius. If you want to talk about Microsoft making two separate consoles when Sony is making PS4 and PS4 Pros still and with the digital and regular version of the PS5 Sony is actually still making 4 consoles. Also Unreal Engine 5 and the demo for The Matrix Awakens looks amazing and not capable on the older platforms. It may not be for you but the Series S is selling very well and does have a place in this generation.

The Series S is the perfect little machine for Teenagers/ Students and younger because, at the end of the day chances are they have that in there room and are very unlikely to have anything better than a small 1080P tv (Monitor sized) in there room. In which case a lot of the extra horsepower is wasted, they just want something that can play the games.

True long term whop knows what that will bring but One S lasted surprising well considering the state it launched in.

The free market has spoken, there are multiple profitable tiers of console that Microsoft services. And they want more consoles, as evident by sony selling every PS4 they can make.

#2 is on devs, not on the consoles themselves. It's been explained that games like GTA V, RDR2, and the witcher 3 (built ont he same engine as CP2077) have no issues running on old consoles. CP2077 and BF2042 have been unmitigated trashfires.

I do agree. The Free market has spoken. The model was cancelled as a result.

I'm fine by that.

The Series S is the perfect little machine for Teenagers/ Students and younger because, at the end of the day chances are they have that in there room and are very unlikely to have anything better than a small 1080P tv (Monitor sized) in there room. In which case a lot of the extra horsepower is wasted, they just want something that can play the games.

True long term whop knows what that will bring but One S lasted surprising well considering the state it launched in.

I'm a PC gamer through and through, but even I'm thinking that the Series S might be a good companion for my living room.

I'm a PC gamer through and through, but even I'm thinking that the Series S might be a good companion for my living room.

Currently, I have a PC with a 6900xt and a Series X connected to the same TV and even though many times I can see better graphics and better FPS, I am usually using the Series X more, due to the simple controls and "easier" to navigate menus.

Do mind, I dont know if this happens to others, but after almost 45 years of gaming with the main mechanic of it is to kill something, I am not enjoying it as much anymore.

I consider it a waste of resources. Can't even run Cyberpunk lol
Poorly optimized game =! bad hardware, as the free market would attest.
Currently, I have a PC with a 6900xt and a Series X connected to the same TV and even though many times I can see better graphics and better FPS, I am usually using the Series X more, due to the simple controls and "easier" to navigate menus.

Do mind, I dont know if this happens to others, but after almost 45 years of gaming with the main mechanic of it is to kill something, I am not enjoying it as much anymore.
Modern games just are not as well made. They prioritize monetization, use psycological tricks to pressure you towards micro transasctions and lootboxes, and are now staffed by special snowflakes that have to tell the world how unique they are instead of regular people who love making games.

They are, notably, less fun now. The PS4 was an utter dissapointment, I sold it for more then I paid for it, now I stick to the occasional game on my PC. I can still go back to games from the PS2 era I have never heard of, and enjoy them. It's not the "kill the baddie" thing that makes modern games bland, it's modern game design being uninspired trash mad eto push monetization, a social message, or often both, recycling elements from previous games with 0 effort, artistic cohesion, or gameplay focus. Everything now has to be a sandbox of "play it your way" garbage.

there's also the utter death of the "B" market, games made by AAA companies that are smaller, more focused titles. The midnight clubs and jak X combat racings of the gaming world. These titles have almost totally dissapeared, now everything is a multi hundred million dollar affair or an indie, with no in between.
The S would be great, if it had a disk drive.

I still watch blu rays, but I'm not interested in paying $500 for a series X just to have one. So now I have my TV PC, since I also wasnt interested in paying S serie smoney for a last gen one X.

odern games just are not as well made. They prioritize monetization, use psycological tricks to pressure you towards micro transasctions and lootboxes, and are now staffed by special snowflakes that have to tell the world how unique they are instead of regular people who love making games.

They are, notably, less fun now. The PS4 was an utter dissapointment, I sold it for more then I paid for it, now I stick to the occasional game on my PC. I can still go back to games from the PS2 era I have never heard of, and enjoy them. It's not the "kill the baddie" thing that makes modern games bland, it's modern game design being uninspired trash mad eto push monetization, a social message, or often both, recycling elements from previous games with 0 effort, artistic cohesion, or gameplay focus. Everything now has to be a sandbox of "play it your way" garbage.

there's also the utter death of the "B" market, games made by AAA companies that are smaller, more focused titles. The midnight clubs and jak X combat racings of the gaming world. These titles have almost totally dissapeared, now everything is a multi hundred million dollar affair or an indie, with no in between.

That explains a lot, thanks, but even some old games that I am playing kind of bores me.

The type of games that I really seem to enjoy is the Arkham series and perhaps, some Starcraft.

I need to do a dust off of my PS1, PS2 and N64 roms and play the ones I missed.

I still watch blu rays, but I'm not interested in paying $500 for a series X just to have one. So now I have my TV PC, since I also wasnt interested in paying S serie smoney for a last gen one X.

Check this video out, maybe a One X could be a good compromise:

I've read other articles that the Series S are made from processors that didn't meet the requirements for the Series X. If this is the case then it is quite genius. If you want to talk about Microsoft making two separate consoles when Sony is making PS4 and PS4 Pros still and with the digital and regular version of the PS5 Sony is actually still making 4 consoles. Also Unreal Engine 5 and the demo for The Matrix Awakens looks amazing and not capable on the older platforms. It may not be for you but the Series S is selling very well and does have a place in this generation.

It's pretty normal for "regular" CPUs and GPUs. The ones that don't make the cut get parts disabled and released as a lower end product. Sony probably does the same now with the PS4 Pro and PS4.

Back