Microsoft delays tool that ports Android apps to Windows

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has revealed to Recode over the weekend that Project Astoria, the tool it was developing that allowed Android apps to be easily ported to Windows, has been delayed for the time being.

The company refused to reveal whether the utility is still in the pipeline, has been delayed indefinitely, or has been canceled entirely, simply stating the tool is "not yet ready".

Developers have been waiting for Microsoft to release Project Astoria for some time now, as the tool was first announced at Microsoft's Windows 10-focused event in April. It was revealed as one of four 'bridges' that would help developers create apps for Windows, including tools that ported both iOS and Web apps to the platform.

The tools to port iOS and Web apps are already publicly available, while the third tool to port older Windows apps to Universal apps will soon be released. The Android tool, however, is currently in limbo, and it seems Microsoft has been trying to avoid talking about it for several months now.

Project Astoria was arguably the most important of the four tools, as it gave developers an easy way to port apps from the dominant mobile platform to Windows. Microsoft has struggled to get big-name apps developed for Windows, so by having a tool to make the process easy, the company was hoping to significantly increase their app catalogue.

Unfortunately it looks like Astoria won't be coming any time soon, which will make it harder for Microsoft to convince developers to create apps for their platform. Hopefully the project hasn't been canceled entirely, but currently it's not looking good.

Permalink to story.

Just what Windows needs, a flood of crap-tastic Android apps... I really can't think of a single app on my phone I'd want to use on my PC. I personally see this as a potential security risk, so I'll steer clear of it when it does get released.

I really can't think of a single app on my phone I'd want to use on my PC.
Here is my thought. I can't think of an app that could possibly be on a phone that I would want on my PC.

While I agreed with your thoughts with the metro/modern design of the Windows 8 apps, the design language of the Windows 10 (UWA) apps actually feel and work great on PC, even with mouse & keyboard input. I personally use USA Today, Netflix, Weather Channel, Mail (Windows), CBS & Watch ESPN on my PC quite regularly. CBS, Weather Channel & USA Today provide a much better experience than their websites do.

Last edited:
*their

Moderator tip: Try going to Forum Mode and edit your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my thought. I can't think of an app that could possibly be on a phone that I would want on my PC.

Isn't that what I said? Albeit not on point as much. Because I could think up plenty of potential apps that could be useful on both a phone and on my PC, just no one has made them yet. Picking from whats available on the Play Store presently, no, nothing at all.

Moderator tip: Try going to Forum Mode and edit your post.

It would almost be easier to delete the extra post and just edit the original, send them a private message, notifying them how to do so next time. Chances are this will go unnoticed otherwise.

It would almost be easier to delete the extra post and just edit the original, send them a private message, notifying them how to do so next time. Chances are this will go unnoticed otherwise.
You noticed it though didn't you? The mod note had two purposes. One is obviously to alert the poster and the other is to let other members see it so they (those that might not know better) might not make the same mistake. More potential bang for the buck.

As a general practice, I don't edit/correct members posts myself although there are exceptions and I do occasionally fix thread titles. Sure, if you look at just one post it won't take much time but multiply that over all the forums and it's more work than I care to take on. Also, if I make those kind of corrections consistently, the incentive for members to post carefully or fix their own mistakes is reduced, not that many members seem to care about that in the first place. :) Although I have the ability to edit, I'm a moderator and not so much an editor.

You noticed it though didn't you?

Needlessly, what I was trying to say is, people who do notice these things aren't the problem, it's those who don't notice these things in the first place or ignore them, if they did so the first time, they'll do it a second time. It's the whole repeat offender thing, unless you actually warn the individual or make sure they acknowledge the mistake they are likely to keep on doing it. Pointing out the flaw for everyone to see doesn't help the individual who originally made the mistake, it just shames them. Hence why I suggested what I suggested, where I was also suggesting the original poster would not notice that you added your moderator message to his post. Clearly I noticed it, pointing that out is, well, pointless.

Nor do I expect someone to be sitting combing through the forums for little mistakes like this to correct them, that would take the next level of anal'ism, hmm, funny.

That's your opinion and not necessarily so. How do you know whether or not people will notice it or not. How do you know they will ignore them? Yes, some of them might but some of them might not. Other moderators might do things differently than I and perhaps more effectively than I. Sometimes I change or adjust the way I do things. Maybe you are right and I am wrong but for now this is how I choose to do things.

Back