TechSpot

Microsoft discontinues Zune media player, shifts focus to Windows Phone

By Shawn Knight
Oct 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has publically announced that they will no longer be producing Zune media players. Instead, Windows Phone will now be the focus of their mobile music and video strategy.

Read the whole story

2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

You know, I think Google and Microsoft are on the same level now. Difference is Google has only had failed services, not hardware. Microsoft in the other hand, has had both. I just hope they stop being so lazy with Windows Phone, or else, it will just be yet another "Kin," or should say, "Zune"?

3. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

I loved my zunes. Cheap, powerful, good looking, great features, and great sound quality. iPod classic had nothing on the Zune. iTouch had more apps though

4. This isn't necessarily an admission of defeat on Microsoft's part (although undoubtedly Zune was a failure) but just a symptom of convergence, with portable media players being rendered obsolete by smartphones. Apple will at least scale back the iPod, if not drop it entirely soon enough.

5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 950   +22

What about the $100 a month mobile bill?

6. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Not really a surprise, I don't i know anyone that bought a Zune, hell i don't even know where to get one :)

7. Microsoft never put any effort into selling the Zune. Most people dont even know what Zune is. I love zune and everyone I know that has ever had one loves theres. I dont know who is in charge of Microsoft but they are doing a terrible job. I can understand concentrating on the phone but to discontinue zune sales is out right stupid. They probably should of hired someone to replace the person in charge of sales for zune.

I am really disappointed about this and pray that someone helps in getting zune back out there and in the race because it has a lot more potential. I hear great things about the new windows 7 phone. I look forward to getting one of those to acompany my 64gb Zune HD.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.