Microsoft extends support for Skylake-based devices running Windows 7, 8.1

midian182

Staff member

Microsoft has once again backtracked on its decision to end support early for Skylake-based devices running Windows 7 and 8.1.

Microsoft controversially announced back in January that anyone still running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 on a Skylake-based PC after July 17, 2017, would receive only “the most critical” security fixes – and these would only be released if they didn’t "risk the reliability or compatibility" of Windows 7 and 8.1 on other (non-Skylake) systems."

In March, Microsoft pushed this date back a year to July 17, 2018, which still meant support would end earlier than for systems powered by its older Broadwell processors.

But today, the company is pushing the date back again to bring it in line with the support lifetime of Broadwell. January 14, 2020 is now the last day for Windows 7, and Windows 8.1 will be supported until January 14, 2023. This also applies to Windows Embedded 7, 8, and 8.1 devices.

“Enterprise customers are moving to Windows 10 faster than any version of Windows. At the same time, we recognize that, in some instances, customers have a few systems that require longer deployment timeframes. We listened to this feedback and today are sharing an update to our 6th Gen Intel Core (Skylake) support policy,” wrote Microsoft director of Windows business planning, Shad Larsen, in a blog post.

The post also mentions that future Intel chips Kaby Lake and Bristol Ridge will only be supported on Windows 10.

Microsoft says the change is “to help our customers purchase modern hardware with confidence, while continuing to manage their migrations to Windows 10.”

Permalink to story.

"we recognize that, in some instances, customers have a few systems that require longer deployment timeframes. We listened to this feedback and today are sharing an update to our 6th Gen Intel Core (Skylake) support policy,"

Translation : "The corporate sector told us to get our sh*t together"

"Microsoft says the change is “to help our customers purchase modern hardware with confidence, while continuing to manage their migrations to Windows 10.”

Translation : "Intel also told us to get our sh*t together when they realized it actually gave the hundreds of millions of Win 7 holdouts a reason to not upgrade to the latest Intel chips..."

Can't wait for next year's article : "MS backtracks on Kaby Lake support for Windows 7"

I believe that it was Intel and other OEMs that were the reason for the initial deadline of support... THEY wouldn't agree to continue to provide security update validation testing and upgrade testing... Now they HAVE agreed to provide this, so MS is extending their support as well...

Rarely does anything happen in a vacuum... While MS business practices are not always exemplary, why would they provide themselves bad press on purpose?

Try it hard for real
dell vostro, 6 years old with dedicated amd card - all was good, except Adobe CC - indesign and illustrator without antialsing on the menus and so on
and that was the ultimate to reverted to 7 - all fine
the same model in DELL is listed as 'untested' for 10
on the third revert (cos no solution at the time, and MS was unstoppable) the amd card just refused to load - black screen - 3 months to waiting for the replacing part

Its a just picture for you

So, how the models (devices) that are not qualified for 10 are pushed to do it?
you cant install driver on 7 thats not qualified, but u are pushed to install OS?
how

edit:
on monday, ill tell the exact model of the Vostro
or soon

Last edited:
I believe that it was Intel and other OEMs that were the reason for the initial deadline of support... THEY wouldn't agree to continue to provide security update validation testing and upgrade testing... Now they HAVE agreed to provide this, so MS is extending their support as well...

Rarely does anything happen in a vacuum... While MS business practices are not always exemplary, why would they provide themselves bad press on purpose?

Microsoft provide bad press for themselves all the time. It's kinda of hard to avoid a news article about microsoft that is about how they screwed up or forced customers into something they never wanted.

I thought I bought a PERSONAL COMPUTER not one where a corporation tells me that if I don't buy this certain brand of hardware and this certain brand of software my PERSONAL COMPUTER will not function.

"Enterprise customers are moving to Windows 10 faster than any version of Windows."

The above statement came from someone that was in dreamworld for sure. All my corporate clients are not 'moving to Windows 10', they want and need reliability - something that Windows 10 does not have. More and more people are having issues after Windows 10 updates.

I thought I bought a PERSONAL COMPUTER not one where a corporation tells me that if I don't buy this certain brand of hardware and this certain brand of software my PERSONAL COMPUTER will not function.

"Enterprise customers are moving to Windows 10 faster than any version of Windows."

The above statement came from someone that was in dreamworld for sure. All my corporate clients are not 'moving to Windows 10', they want and need reliability - something that Windows 10 does not have. More and more people are having issues after Windows 10 updates.

Enterprise customers are notorious for NOT upgrading quickly.... They want reliability... So the claim that "more people are migrating" is probably true.... It's just meaningless...

And since your clients aren't upgrading, clearly that's an indication that no one is....

TOH NTFS scan line delta gun shadow mask cathode ray tube electrionic color TV (Never The Same Color Twice ) was around since 1954 and until nearly 1970 with black shadow mask CRT there wasn't any significant improvcemt beyomnd a bobded saftey glass in may be 1962 and again with the Dony sreen grid sincle gun CRT that took them all to school and was ultimatly state of the art for CRt dispays.

I don't think a PC without significant improvements for 15 years or more or a 54 year old analog operating system continuing 9 years after that (beginning at the 54 yr time between NTFS analog SD TV and ATSC HDTV digital broadcasting mandates would be acceptable in the marketplace .

If the PC CPU manufactures validate and test windows 7 and 8.1 security and whatever updates on their older CPU I'm sure MS will plug them in but that's a vendor responsibility (like drivers ) and just like you cant expect a 2008 Chevrolet motor to run in a 2016 Chevrolet to current standards without some modifications and ECU changes .

TOH NTFS scan line delta gun shadow mask cathode ray tube electrionic color TV (Never The Same Color Twice ) was around since 1954 and until nearly 1970 with black shadow mask CRT there wasn't any significant improvcemt beyomnd a bobded saftey glass in may be 1962 and again with the Dony sreen grid sincle gun CRT that took them all to school and was ultimatly state of the art for CRt dispays.

I don't think a PC without significant improvements for 15 years or more or a 54 year old analog operating system continuing 9 years after that (beginning at the 54 yr time between NTFS analog SD TV and ATSC HDTV digital broadcasting mandates would be acceptable in the marketplace .

If the PC CPU manufactures validate and test windows 7 and 8.1 security and whatever updates on their older CPU I'm sure MS will plug them in but that's a vendor responsibility (like drivers ) and just like you cant expect a 2008 Chevrolet motor to run in a 2016 Chevrolet to current standards without some modifications and ECU changes .
Reply to self :
above may not apply to Enterprise customers as rigidly but ofc.the marketplace will shake that all out but 54 years is too long for a general purpose PC operating system even though we still l have nuclear ICBM Silos running COBOL dating back from 1959 but thats another thing altogether but it still works on the 5" or 8" floppies no less

Try it hard for real
dell vostro, 6 years old with dedicated amd card - all was good, except Adobe CC - indesign and illustrator without antialsing on the menus and so on
and that was the ultimate to reverted to 7 - all fine
the same model in DELL is listed as 'untested' for 10
on the third revert (cos no solution at the time, and MS was unstoppable) the amd card just refused to load - black screen - 3 months to waiting for the replacing part

Its a just picture for you
makes a good argument to update the AMD d/GPU in Your Dell Vostro if it can be done they can often be had cheap on E bay if its not a modern gaming mobile d/GPU .

My 2013 Core i7 HP Elite Book with a mobile AMD d/GPU runs everything I throw at it fine on Windows 10 .

Back