Microsoft introduces Surface Studio, a 28-inch AIO for content creators

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft at its New York City media event this morning shored up rumors of a Surface-branded all-in-one (AIO) with its introduction of the Surface Studio.

Designed for “creators” and “professionals,” the Surface Studio features a 28-inch TrueColor (multiple color gamuts) touch display (3:2 aspect ratio) in a 12.5mm chassis that features 13.5 million pixels (192 PPI). Microsoft says that’s 63 percent more than a 4K TV.

Redmond spent a significant amount of time talking about the screen and is clearly proud of what it has created. Indeed, the screen – and by proxy, the entire system – looks stunning.

Unlike some AIOs that build the guts of the machine into the back of the display, Microsoft has chosen to put the hardware in the base / stand. Inside, you’ll find up to a sixth-generation Intel Core i7 CPU (no Kaby Lake love?), Nvidia 980M graphics with 4GB of GDDR5 memory, up to 32GB of RAM and up to a 2TB “rapid hybrid drive” for storage. Power comes courtesy of a 270-watt power supply, we’re told.

Connectivity-wise, the Surface Studio offers 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, built-in support for Xbox wireless controllers, four USB 3.0 ports, a full-size SD card reader, a mini DisplayPort and a 3.5mm headphone jack. A 5-megapixel front-facing camera works with Windows Hello, as do the dual microphones.

In addition to being compatible with the Surface Pen, the Surface Studio can also be paired with a new input device called the Surface Dial.

Pressing the dial down will bring to life an onscreen radial menu that can be interacted with simply by rotating the dial left or right. Additionally, the dial can be used as a scroll wheel to quickly zip through websites, documents and so on.

Microsoft is now accepting pre-orders for the Surface Studio with a launch slated for December 15. Pricing starts at $2,999 for an Intel Core i5, 8GB of RAM, a GeForce GTX 965M GPU and 1TB of storage and scales up to $4,199 with an Intel Core i7, 32GB of RAM, a GTX 980M and 2TB of storage.

Permalink to story.

LOL .... well said! They show it used in a somewhat tilted back mode. I'm wondering how many problems the user would have with ceiling lighting???

Considering this is a larger Wacom Cintiq with a computer attached, I don't think the price is THAT unreasonable. Still high, but it is a unique device. It's not just an all in one, it's a 28" tablet

I would love that attached to my 3D workstation. I hope they will release a version of the screen with the dial and the pen.

The back reminds me of another brand... ummm, I don't remember... that windows silver polished logo is remioniscent of another thing I don't quite recall.

Ok, it looks awesome to me, but the price is too high. This is how we get gouged because of branding being the usual way of conducting business nowadays...
It looks cool, it *is* certainly cool to use, but I will not put so much money in such a system. I can build one with a 4K screen with equivalent hardware for half that price! At least...

I can build one with a 4K screen with equivalent hardware for half that price! At least...
But not as an "All in One".... anyone who is saying "I can build something cheaper..." is NOT the target group for this product. The entire laptop industry works the same way... You want something thin and light (aka Surface Book, Mac Air, etc), be prepared to pay extra...

If you don't care about form factor, by all means, build your own - but again... this isn't for you!

It looks cool, it *is* certainly cool to use, but I will not put so much money in such a system. I can build one with a 4K screen with equivalent hardware for half that price! At least...
Hehe no you won't, first of all it's not 4K, it has a bigger resolution, much more PPI AND it's touchscreen.
Too expensive for my budget!!!
It's aimed for "STUDIO" users, more specifically at "CONTENT CREATORS", it's not meant for streamlined usage, the ratio is not meant for watching movies or playing games or home usage, it's a pretty niche of users that will actually find usage for this, and even then, studio designer.

Microsoft shouldn't be making stuff like this, once again more evidence of their aspirations to be Apple (God knows why! other than pure greed) . Also, further stabbing in the back of their hardware partners. Will not end well.

Hehe no you won't, first of all it's not 4K, it has a bigger resolution, much more PPI AND it's touchscreen.

It's aimed for "STUDIO" users, more specifically at "CONTENT CREATORS", it's not meant for streamlined usage, the ratio is not meant for watching movies or playing games or home usage, it's a pretty niche of users that will actually find usage for this, and even then, studio designer.

Video editing and conversion can be done much cheaper AND faster....

Microsoft shouldn't be making stuff like this, once again more evidence of their aspirations to be Apple (God knows why! other than pure greed) .
Yeah, it would suck for them to compete with their main competition, right?...right?
Video editing and conversion can be done much cheaper AND faster....
I'm pretty sure you can even do it in a netbook, that doesn't make it better though. And this is aimed to a totally different audience, again. If you mean you want to edit your YouTube videos sure, you can do it however you like, this is more professionally oriented, and yet again I'll use the "studio" concept.

Yeah, it would suck for them to compete with their main competition, right?...right?

I'm pretty sure you can even do it in a netbook, that doesn't make it better though. And this is aimed to a totally different audience, again. If you mean you want to edit your YouTube videos sure, you can do it however you like, this is more professionally oriented, and yet again I'll use the "studio" concept.

Good luck with that...

Microsoft is a software company !, right, right ???

Back