Microsoft is adding a Games panel to Edge and some people aren't happy about it

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Microsoft has long tried to attract users to Edge by adding more features. The latest addition appears to be a Games panel, though it’s hard to imagine many people switching to Edge just because they can play casual games directly in the Chromium-based browser.

Redditor u/Leopeva64-2 spotted a Games button toggle in the Appearance settings of the latest version of Edge Canary. Enabling the feature adds a Games button on the browser’s omnibar, next to the address bar.

Clicking on the button will bring up a panel on the right side of Edge filled with browser-based titles, many from the MSN Games page, sorted into categories that include Arcade, Board & Card, Puzzle, Sports, Casual, Microsoft classics, and more. Clicking on one of the titles will launch it directly in the browser.

Edge had a 4.19% share of the browser market as of November, according to Statcounter. While that’s more than Firefox’s 3.19%, it’s a long way off leader Chrome’s 64%.

Microsoft has been trying to entice more people onto its product recently, though its methods may sound better in the boardroom than in practice. The company earlier this month told those trying to download “so 2008” Chrome that Edge was better; the buy now, pay later app integrated into Edge was met with anger from users; and there was the whole Windows 11 debacle, though it has since softened its stance when it comes to switching from the default browser.

We don’t know when the Games panel option will arrive for Edge users in other channels, assuming that it does, but judging from the comments on Reddit, a lot of people aren't happy about the addition. "Here comes the bloat!" wrote Encrypted_Curse, while nickthaskater asked "Why the hell does Edge need games built in?"

Permalink to story.

We are bombarded by games on our smartphones and social media.

I don't have a problem with a games tab so long as the games are quality. I've played browser games before and I regularly play Chess.com .

A lot of whiners on the internet are upset about features they don't have to use. What a wonderful world!

To see adverts and bloat in a paid OS tool... and still many people are fine with that.
If someone want it, then there should be a way to add the add-on with this button and side panel. But ading an addon without my consent is wrong way to go. Same with game bar, I'm fine with people installing it if they would want to, but why does it exists on my workstation? Even worse, I can't remove it using OS tools.

Microsoft seems hell-bent on cramming as much stuff as possible into their browser.

They don't seem to realize Google does this because they don't control the OS so they have to put everything inside the browser.

Hey, remember when edge was billed as a lightweight, faster alternative to chrome, instead of being chrome with 78 bells and whistles?

Yeah, good times.
A lot of whiners on the internet are upset about features they don't have to use. What a wonderful world!
Until MS "accidentally" resets your default browser to edge again, because woops!

Then us IT guys have to deal with all the non tech savvy people who cant figure out how to fix MS's latest blunder.

Does the X to close the panel not work?
Are we harassed to close the panel each time the browser is opened?
I don't use Edge so I don't know.
But if you can close it and it stays closed. I don't see an issue.

Hey, remember when edge was billed as a lightweight, faster alternative to chrome, instead of being chrome with 78 bells and whistles?

Yeah, good times.

Until MS "accidentally" resets your default browser to edge again, because woops!

Then us IT guys have to deal with all the non tech savvy people who cant figure out how to fix MS's latest blunder.
Edge is faster. Built in ad blocker is a plus too. And bad news is coming from Chrome so fast people haven't noticed yet apparently.

If by "some" you mean everyone outside Microsoft, then yeah, "some" people didn't like more bloatware Ad crap in a browser that's not even needed, to begin with.
How are you triggered by an optional feature to begin with? And how do you know? You really asked "everyone outside Microsoft"?

"Enabling the feature" seems to me the solution to this problem isn't to enable the feature if you don't want it.

So some people are actually using edge?
yep. I log into my computers with a microsoft account and all my passwords, shortcuts and favorites are save and sync'd between computers. Edge was pretty terrible but Chromium Edge isn't terrible like people make it out to be. It's just as good or bad as Chrome.

Back