TechSpot

Microsoft launches IE6 countdown website

By Emil
Mar 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has been struggling with its poor browser image ever since it stopped updating Internet Explorer for a few years. As a result, IE6 is by far the most hated browser in the world. Today, the software giant is taking a stand by launching "The Internet Explorer 6 Countdown" at theie6countdown.com.

Read the whole story

2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

If you're on IE6 or IE7 do us all a favor and download Chrome or Firefox, please :)

3. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 736   +243

fix'd

4. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 493   +23

fixed

5. catburst

catburst TS Rookie

or opera

6. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TS Enthusiast Posts: 99   +10

well as a web designer / master thy should kill both IE6 and IE7 to make our life waaay easier :)

7. IE6 is my third choice for browser, just after Opera 10.63 and Firefox 3.6.3 and I don't have plans to update to the versions 7 or 8. Obviously I am a happy user of XP.
    :)

8. This we can call: "The XP Conspiracy" :)

9. IE6 was and is a great product!... Ten years and still keeps working!... The same that Windows XP.

10. The countdown will take a long time!
    ;)

11. TrekExpert

TrekExpert TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

Mozilla or Google should have a countdown for people to get off Internet Explorer altogether. After all, friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer.

12. jwdR1

jwdR1 TS Enthusiast Posts: 26   +18

This makes me want to reinstall just to see if I can help make the number go up! :)

13. w3b0n

w3b0n TS Rookie Posts: 38

bahaha very true

14. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

I lol'ed

15. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Does Opera 11 require Vista or 7? I doubt it would, so if it doesn't, why 10.63?

16. Opera's the best!

17. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

On both my XP machines I cannot in any way upgrade to IE 8 because neither PCs will connect once I install it. I have to revert back to 7. Why? I haven't a clue. Both machines predominantly use Firefox but if I want to continue to receive XP updates I need IE.

18. Lurker101

That's a problem with your rigs, not XP. My XP64 connects just fine with both x86 and x64 variants of IE8.

19. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 899   +15

have you tried into IE9 RC?

the moment IE7 was launched I immediately installed it (from Beta 2 to RC2 and finally the final version). by that time i've already used firefox, but i cannot even stand having IE6 as my backup browser.

20. derwynr

derwynr TS Rookie

Have been using IE9 in both beta and RC and loving both. for me the offerings like Opera, Chrome and Firefox just dont cut the musterd, and oh yes I've tried them all.

21. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Yeah, I realize it probably is with my rigs but I am not sweating it considering they run quite well.

As for IE9, I could be mistaking but I thought MS said it would not be compatible with XP. Someone with greater knowledge help me out.

22. Lurker101

There's a good chance that, just like Windows Live Messenger and Microsoft Security Essentials, it'll run just fine on all versions of XP, Vista and Win7, but the installer will prevent you from installing on XP64

23. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Gotta love this statement from Eduard Johnson, NSRR:

"For all of those who has not seen a fully-functional HTML5-website with the truly beautiful CSS3 implemented: you're rather unfortunate - download Chrome, Safari and/or Opera, and experience the full beauty of the World Wide Web" :) .

24. IE9 FTW!!

Apart from give me a downloads shortcut icon plx microsoft :)

25. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Short of having a mission-critical application that runs only on IE6, I can't think of any reason why anyone would still be using that antiquated browser. I very seldom run IE8 and only to connect to Windows Update.