Microsoft licenses Xbox Wireless tech; select PCs will support Xbox One controller without dongle

midian182

Staff member

Using a mouse and keyboard gives PC gamers an edge over their console-owning counterparts, especially in games such as first-person shooters. But there are those titles where nothing beats a gamepad.

The Xbox One controller is a big favorite among computer users. It used to be the case that they needed to be tethered to a PC using a micro-USB cable, but the Windows 10 Wireless Adaptor dongle released last year removed this requirement.

Now, Microsoft has announced that it is making things even better by licensing the Xbox One wireless tech to PC OEMs and accessory makers. Essentially, this means you'll be able to link your Xbox One controller with a compatible Windows 10 PC as easily as you would with Microsoft’s console – no need for a dongle or tether.

“Going forward, you should expect to see both new PCs and new accessories that support Xbox Wireless as we create new ways for our fans to play seamlessly across devices,” said Microsoft.

The first PC to incorporate the technology is the new Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube. It’s an optional feature that’s built straight into the chassis (no word on how much extra it will cost), allowing you to connect all Xbox One wireless accessories without the need for adapters, dongles, or wires.

The good news for PC builders is that Microsoft also plans to embed the wireless tech directly into motherboards with its hardware partners.

Microsoft decided to use its wireless system over Bluetooth because of its lower latency, its ability to handle eight devices simultaneously, and support for wireless stereo sound.

The Redmond firm is currently working with several firms to bring its wireless tech to accessories other than gamepads. These include Astro, HyperX, Mad Catz, PDP, Plantronics, Razer, SteelSeries, and Turtle Beach, so expect to see joysticks, headsets, and other add-ons that can connect directly to both PCs and Xbox One consoles.

Permalink to story.

Elite controller has a very good feel but when I add batteries it comes too heavy and my wrists tire and start to ache. Also I hardly even notice the cord and it's long so no need to go wireless. Bit sad that it won't work on any bluetooth adapter but microsoft is all about making money so I get they don't wan't to give anything free they can charge for. Still wondering why anybody didn't sue them when they decided only xbox 360 controllers work on windows, I have loads of useless logitech stuff and will never buy non microsoft controller as there's a chance it won't work after windows update. When will they make it so that only microsoft mice and keyboards are supported? Fearing when my g27 will stop getting support in games. Also the haptic triggers would be nice but guess they only work on uwp apps.

They should really make an optional pci-e x1 card for their controllers. Nobody fills their pci-e x1 slots now.

So now I can finally use my Razer Atrox One on my pc for SF5.

Is the Razer Atrox any good? I'm still using my MVC2 Tournament edition stick, but its seen much better days and I could use a new stick, but fear the Razer quality is sub par.

Funny. If you have Windows 10 and the Oculus Rift, the Xbox One controller comes with it. But don't dare update your Win 10 with Microsoft's new "Anniversary Update", it makes the Xbox Controller USELESS!

That's right, the latest Win 10 update will just brick your xbox controller. It's been 2 weeks since the update with no fix in sight. Fat Cats at Microsoft are in no hurry to fix this problem, even it's their own product they broke!

Meanwhile Oculus users that have updated their Win 10 to the "Anniversary Update" are upset and losing their minds. But if you have this problem, just roll back your Win 10 to the previous update, pre-Anniversary Update and your controller will work fine. That way you can still use your Rift, while Microsoft drags their butts to fix this!

Just Microsoft being the buzz kill again! This will not end, unless there is a real competitive operating system! For our gaming PC's! That may not happen in my lifetime however!

Funny. If you have Windows 10 and the Oculus Rift, the Xbox One controller comes with it. But don't dare update your Win 10 with Microsoft's new "Anniversary Update", it makes the Xbox Controller USELESS!

That's right, the latest Win 10 update will just brick your xbox controller. It's been 2 weeks since the update with no fix in sight. Fat Cats at Microsoft are in no hurry to fix this problem, even it's their own product they broke!

Meanwhile Oculus users that have updated their Win 10 to the "Anniversary Update" are upset and losing their minds. But if you have this problem, just roll back your Win 10 to the previous update, pre-Anniversary Update and your controller will work fine. That way you can still use your Rift, while Microsoft drags their butts to fix this!

Just Microsoft being the buzz kill again! This will not end, unless there is a real competitive operating system! For our gaming PC's! That may not happen in my lifetime however!

What are you talking about? Mine works perfectly fine.

Bit sad that it won't work on any bluetooth adapter but microsoft is all about making money so I get they don't wan't to give anything free they can charge for.

New ones work fine on Bluetooth. I imagine the next Xbox One Elite controllers out will do too.

Still wondering why anybody didn't sue them when they decided only xbox 360 controllers work on windows

My DualShock 4 works fine, and the DualShock 3 before it. Got a friend who uses a Logitech controller fine. The hell are you on about?

Back