Microsoft makes Windows free for select devices, announces universal Windows apps

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft windows xbox one build 2014 universal apps

Microsoft on Wednesday revealed plans to make Windows free for manufacturers to use on smartphones and tablets with screen sizes under nine inches. Furthermore, a future version of Windows for the Internet of Things will also be completely free – moves that will no doubt help the Redmond-based company better compete with Android and increase market share in the red-hot mobile sector.

The company also used its Build 2014 keynote to announce universal Windows apps. As the name suggests, this is a method that will allow developers to create a single app that will work across Windows PCs, phones, tablets and on the Xbox One.

Specifically, developers will be able to reuse much of the code they wrote – in the language of their choosing – on one platform across all others via Visual Studio. From there, only small tweaks will be needed to fine-tune the app for each platform – like adding support for the Kinect and controller on the Xbox One or adjusting the look based on the form factor.

As Microsoft operating system executive David Treadwell pointed out, users may not have to buy a different app for each device because it’s the same app in use across all devices. It’ll be up to developers to decide if they want to require a user to pay for their app on the PC and the phone, for example, or allow a single purchase to grant access across all platforms.

What’s more, activities like notifications and in-app purchases should sync across all iterations of the app via the cloud.

It may all sound a bit boring but truth be told, it’s a really big deal for Microsoft that’ll likely entice more developers to code for Windows and to encourage them to bring established apps to less established platforms. In the end, that means more app choices which is a win for everyone.

Permalink to story.

Please tell me microsoft isnt pushing this one design for all thing with metro on pc? if so it is MEGA FAIL!!!!!
Metro is the biggest flop since the word flop was created, and no I mean as in metro apps THEY ARE PATHETICALLY BAD!

Please tell me microsoft isnt pushing this one design for all thing with metro on pc? if so it is MEGA FAIL!!!!!
Metro is the biggest flop since the word flop was created, and no I mean as in metro apps THEY ARE PATHETICALLY BAD!
You really need to get off your Microsoft hate train dude...

They made Microsoft OS free, plus the Metro theme skewed across all devices (Mostly in this case on the mobile market) is where its needed. You can complain all you want about the apps and what not, but the fact is this is how touch screens benefit along with apps being used to reduce energy over the usual system OS that takes much more resources to use. In fact I recall an article on here talking about the different programs (Video Players) and their counterparts playing the same videos showing which gives the best battery life in which the apps did better.

Last edited:
Well, I guess that this being the internet and public domain and all, everyone is entitled to their small opinion!

They made Microsoft OS free, plus the Metro theme skewed across all devices (Mostly in this case on the mobile market) is where its needed. You can complain all you want about the apps and what not, but the fact is this is how touch screens benefit along with apps being used to reduce energy over the usual system OS that takes much more resources to use. In fact I recall an article on here talking about the different programs (Video Players) and their counterparts playing the same videos showing which gives the best battery life in which the apps did better.

Whoa guessing you are still on windows 7, if you used windows 8/8.1 metro apps you would notice how terrible they are.... they have far less features then their desktop based counterparts.

lets take skype for example, you have less features and no x button to close the small call window so if you have someone nude on skype you have to live with it.

I AM NOT ON THE MICROSOFT HATE TRAIN..... I just hate that they dont make things equal I mean if your gonna make a metro type thing you could atleast make it all equal.

Or am I somehow missing the fact that microsoft is a tiny company with next to no money to spare on such a tiny feature....

Whoa guessing you are still on windows 7, if you used windows 8/8.1 metro apps you would notice how terrible they are.... they have far less features then their desktop based counterparts.
lets take skype for example, you have less features and no x button to close the small call window so if you have someone nude on skype you have to live with it.
I AM NOT ON THE MICROSOFT HATE TRAIN..... I just hate that they dont make things equal I mean if your gonna make a metro type thing you could atleast make it all equal.
Or am I somehow missing the fact that microsoft is a tiny company with next to no money to spare on such a tiny feature....
Chip-on-his-Shoulder--78521.jpg

Is that a chip on your shoulder?

They do have a x to close for apps in preview 1 of 8.1, I been using it for about two weeks

They do have a x to close for apps in preview 1 of 8.1, I been using it for about two weeks

Well thats a first.... I am using 8.1 and so are a few of friends and they are same plus I work with building/repairing PC's for a living and not one 8.1 machine has a x on it and I also find it hard to navigate around its just well.... slow...

http://gyazo.com/1cf9cb2acdba64b4ad7573ca27076276
Does that answer your question? That is also from my gaming desktop If you could

You seem to be on that train because every thread that mentions Microsoft you hiss at them especially when talking about the Xbox ONE.

Also while the apps work just fine, on the desktop especially your not in any way forced to use them so theres no problem there. For phones and tablets they work as they should and give the functionality they should so I don't see the problem (Especially coming from the fact I have around 10 people I know who swapped to Windows Phones).

http://gyazo.com/1cf9cb2acdba64b4ad7573ca27076276
Does that answer your question? That is also from my gaming desktop If you could

You seem to be on that train because every thread that mentions Microsoft you hiss at them especially when talking about the Xbox ONE.

Also while the apps work just fine, on the desktop especially your not in any way forced to use them so theres no problem there. For phones and tablets they work as they should and give the functionality they should so I don't see the problem (Especially coming from the fact I have around 10 people I know who swapped to Windows Phones).

You just took a screenshot from your metro tab... why?

I'm not hating on microsoft for a change...Windows 8.1 runs great on my old pc that I built ages ago 3ghz conroe core2duo with 8 gigs ram and a 680gtx classified ssd's etc no raid.....I have had less issues than any other windows version...I do not use metro that much tho what I mean is I stick to desktop...but it is there....win8.1+Object Desktop by stardock I can make windows 8.1 look like anything I want but I'm much older than when I first started putzin with dos 5 and windows 3 lol So I don't customize to much but I do have my toolbar setup old school and my start button...the fact you can sync your windows devices with metro I'm sure is great for those that have windows tablets and phones etc... I personally don't I have a nexus 7 fhd and a Kindle Fire HD 7...I have chromecast, apple tv, and amazon fire tv on the way with fire game controller....I have no other devices that use windows cept my pc....I believe microsoft is a little late on releasing the freebies now...but they gotta do something to get back in the game...Not saying they are out of the game but if they continue on the same path they have been with consumers and some programmers they will be in the future.

For a few months now I've switched from Android smartphone to Windows 8 smartphone can't be more than happier doing so.

Simple and works out great in the end. No more issues with Android smartphone and also those annoying unwanted callers can be blocked and deleted. Built-in app in Windows 8 does that job right the first time.

Of course you can do this with Android but for a price, and I don't want to spend anymore where it should be in the Cell OS already and not as additional software purchase.

Microsoft Rocks here!

There is an update to 8.1 this Tuesday that will allow you to close with the red X within apps.

Back