Microsoft: Office 2010 turns one, is the fastest-selling version ever

Emil

One year after the release of Microsoft Office 2010, the company behind it has some milestones to share. Microsoft says its business customers are deploying Office 2010 five times faster than they deployed Office 2007.

Office 2010 adds multimedia features for creating better-looking documents, social media integration with Outlook Social Connector, more tools for managing email overload, and online capabilities with Office Web Apps. To celebrate the one-year anniversary, Microsoft has created a Top 10 Office 2010 Features slideshow.

The company has also declared Office 2010 the fastest-selling version of Office ever, though it didn't offer specific numbers to back that claim up. The software giant did, however, reveal that nearly 50 million people worldwide use Office Web Apps to view, edit, and share their documents from anywhere with a browser and an Internet connection. In a recent survey of Office 2010 users, 9 out of 10 said it's the best version of Office they've used. 96 percent would recommend it to others. If you're interested in more numbers like this, Microsoft has put together an infographic, which we've embedded below:

"When we released Office 2010 to the world one year ago, our critics weren't easy on us," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "They said we were heading in the wrong direction by continuing to invest in our desktop applications in addition to the cloud. Even more recently, there've been more predictions of the PC's demise. But the reality is, based on the market results we see in our sales and adoption data, people continue to love Office on the desktop and they're embracing Office in the cloud."

Microsoft Office 2010 was released to retail customers on June 15, 2010. It is available in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors, and in 96 languages.

On November 17, 2010, Microsoft sent out invitations on Microsoft Connect to a select number of testers to test a beta build of Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1). The final release of SP1 is slated for later this year.

Permalink to story.

I have been using Office 2010 for 9 months now and when I go to use another version of office I can say I do miss it. Great product

With OpenOffice and LibreOffice there is no reason to pay for MS Office anymore. Cant believe people and corporations are still paying for this.

They force u to upgrade, if dont upgrade can't use new version of excel and access.

Guest said:
With OpenOffice and LibreOffice there is no reason to pay for MS Office anymore. Cant believe people and corporations are still paying for this.
Actually there are reasons to pay than just processing documents. Like Exchange, cloud integration, live author collaboration through cloud, linked/interfaced data with each programs(Outlook to Word, Word to Onenote), customizable and more polished ribbon interface, and many more.

But you can't go wrong with free right?.

Also 2007 sucks, skipped it.

You can't believe it because you never used it in a business corporate environment. There is outlook, which libreoffice and openoffice do not have, onenote which is also a great product. Add in a ton of third party add-ins for msoffice and integration with each other. This isn't writing simple letters son, this is adult stuff.

"^ Seconded; OpenOffice is awesome. "
Softmaker office 2008 free version is WAY better than libre/openoffice in terms of startup speed, msoffice similarity, and most important, compatibility with msoffice docs. openoffice and libre office

@Guest 1
Open and Libre office are not even half as good as MS Office is in a business environment, however, for a freebie, they are decent enough for a home user who occasionally type a letter or do some calcs.

@Guest 2
I don't remember MS ever forcing me to purchase a new version of office whenever it came out, so, I think you are bit delusional in that respect.

Guest said:
You can't believe it because you never used it in a business corporate environment. There is outlook, which libreoffice and openoffice do not have, onenote which is also a great product. Add in a ton of third party add-ins for msoffice and integration with each other. This isn't writing simple letters son, this is adult stuff.
+1
Could agree with you more, having used open office i can say its good for uni or school work, but in the real world, it just doesn't cut it. MS office is on a completely different level when it comes to actual business use.

Prior to the introduction of Office 2007, price was the main concern for a lot of home users looking to buy retail copies of Microsoft Office. However, the Home and Student version of 2007 and 2010 has pretty much eliminated the price barrier for purchasing Microsoft Office. If you can live with less features, Libre Office is pretty good too and the price is unbeatable.

Regarding Office 2010 usage, Microsoft introduced the starter edition, which comes for free on many laptops and is fully usable (but limited) as opposed to previous trial versions. Assuming Microsoft counts this version, it would certainly explain why more people are using Office than ever.

As for alternative offices, my past experience with OpenOffice is that whenever you want to do something a little advanced, it fails to match MS Office. For example when I needed large spreadsheets I couldn't find anything that matched MS Office. Plus I found OpenOffice generally sluggish.

And I agree that for everyday use SoftMaker Office is the best. It's currently my office suite of choice. It would still lose to MS Office for advanced stuff, but for home use I think it's the best.

To put things in perspective, I have an irrational dislike to MS Office, and have been using other suites for ages even though I've had MS Office licenses, so when I say that I found MS Office better in some cases believe me that it doesn't come from bias, and that I really looked for alternatives at those times.

Microsoft Office 2010 is just awesome. You can do more than you expect with this office suite. It's worth paying.

Our company has switched to Open/Libreoffice and I'm just glad we have old licenses for Office 2003. Doing anything with formula in the spreadsheet application gets painful fast in Libreoffice. And there are a lot of bugs or at least "quirks" that make it almost as painful to use as that bloody stupid UI Microsoft implemented in Office 2007. I still use 2003 but with compatibility addon from MS so I can work with xlsx files.

Office 2010 ROCKS!

Oh, and free alternatives don't have any equivalent to the single best Office app - OneNote!

If you haven't used OneNote before, TRY IT! It will organize your life!

Office 2010 has been great.
Less deployment issues then its predecessors.
I'm just waiting for service pack 1, or even an acknowledgement of some of the bugs.

its likely to be used more than 2007, as most companies (that can afford it) are deploying new Win 7 systems with Office 2010 together to save time/money (but it can cause a huge issue for users, if you jump from 2003 & attempt the 64bit version), i just wish they would get their finger out with the service pack, as that's what holds up most businesses from doing the upgrade.

We moved to 2007 in late 08, start of 09, took our time, planned and gave basic training/presentations to all staff. I'll wait till the end of the year before making any upgrade plans for our company.

Come on boys !!!

OpenOffice is OPEN and LibreOffice is LIBRE !!!

Do you want more ?... then, spend your money !!!

When is the release of Office 2010 SP1. IT was told in the last week of June but have not heard anything from Microsoft yet.

Talking of SP, it just showed up on my system update, so I guess I'll be checking this out soon, its roughly a 585 MB download by the way.

i used to do some work through GO OpenOffice. the program is good enough for me. of course, I have tried MS Office XP, 2003, 2007 and 2010. they look better, they launch faster, but they also cost money.

there's one thing I like about Office 2010: Starter version. Instead of 30-day trial on new notebooks and netbooks, i get free basic word and excel. sure you said it's damn basic. but unless you do some serious work, the starter word and excel will do.

Back