Microsoft preparing to launch Zune-like smartphone?

By Matthew
Jan 19, 2010
  1. Microsoft's long-rumored and ever-denied "Pink" phone project is surfacing again. Speaking to clients today, Jefferies & Company analyst Katherine Egbert said that Redmond is preparing to launch a Windows Mobile 7-based handset. Egbert claims that the software giant will introduce a "Zune-like phone" within the next two months -- possibly at February's Mobile World Congress or CTIA in March.

Read the whole story
  2. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 824   +53

I hope the cpu in it is fast enough to make the phone work. My current older htc polaris doesnt come out of standby until about 4 rings leaving me 3 to pick up. Performance is the major factor for me when it comes to picking a smartphone having had the slow polaris and my sometimes slow 3G iPhone. I want a fast device goddamit!!
  3. The Zune phone is all very good. But what happens to the Windows Mobile phones of today? Do we trash them?

What if you're buying a phone? Avoid a standard Windows Phone which it seems will be obsolete with the arrival of the Zune phone?

Is Microsoft ending the standard Windows Mobile Phone 6.5 / 6.6? Is it the end of the line for this phone OS?
  4. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

Please let this news be true! Please!
  5. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

This would be awesome :) . I have both an Ipod and Zune and much prefer the latter. I would very much be interested in a Zune smartphone. Just curious how it'll stack up against already established smartphones like the Iphone.
  6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

These always seem to come out after I buy a phone and get stuck in a contract! :)

I've read rumors from Microsoft whom said that in this version they plan to make it much more consumer friendly than the previous phones - which were geared towards the work force. I've heard some unofficial news form MS employee's that this new phone is better than what's available from a company named after a fruit. And similar to Google, they're making the OS available to other hardware vendors so expect a hundred or so different hardware options for you to find the one that you like.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.