Microsoft Releases Virtual PC 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Mac users can get closer to the PC world thanks to Microsoft Virtual PC 7, a complete emulation of standard PC hardware, and is capable of running any application compatible with the Pentium processor, allowing users to run a full version of Windows and Windows applications in a virtual machine on their Macs.

This new version is compatible with G5-based Macs, and has had speed problems found in previous versions corrected. It also offers easier installation, automatic printing to the Mac's printer, and increased graphics speed. It is available both as a stand-alone product with a client license for Windows XP Professional for $249, and as a bundle with Office 2004 for Mac for $499. So far, there is no "without-any-OS" version, making it impossible as yet for Mac users to use it to run Linux. But an OS free version is planned for the next few months, with pricing as yet undecided.

What about Virtual PC for Windows? Are they going to update it anymore?

Originally posted by Unregistered
What about Virtual PC for Windows? Are they going to update it anymore?
I hope you're joking. O_o

Originally posted by MaskedBurrito
So is this thing going to play dx9 games?

If it can, it's extremely slow. Don't even bother trying.

Someone please tell me - I guess Microsoft deliberately did not make a Mac version of Access, Project, and Visio to keep too many business from migrating to the Mac platform, which would mean a loss of operating system sales. So now you have to buy Virtual PC to share files with our coworkers. I'm sure that Microsoft has worked out the formula where they come out ahead, and they deliberately keep Virtual PC slower so that businesses won't move off of Wintel too quickly. Once again we are pawns to the number crunchers in Redmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back