Microsoft releases Windows Live Essentials 2011

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has released the final version of Windows Live Essentials 2011 over on explorer.live.com. The updated programs are available in 48 languages and will work on Windows Vista and Windows 7, but not on Windows XP. The software giant also announced that Dell will be the first global PC maker to start Windows Live Essentials on its Windows 7 PCs.

The Windows Live Essentials team says it focused on updating the applications in a way that complements Windows 7. Specifically, Microsoft says it aimed on making three tasks easier: creating and sharing photos and movies with your closest friends, organizing your e-mail accounts in one place, as well as synchronizing files across your computers and accessing them from anywhere with an Internet connection. All applications now use the new ribbon UI and Windows 7's Jump Lists.

Windows Live Essentials is a suite of Windows client applications that includes Messenger, Mail, Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Writer, Family Safety, Mesh, and the Bing Bar. The apps have been in beta testing since this past June.

Permalink to story.

I'm still NOT buying O/S 7, period!!!
i still like XP better!! and yes i do have 7 on my desktop
p/c but i still prefer XP over 7.
7 still leaves a lot to be desired!!
Maybe O/S 8 will give us what we want and need
in a O/S without all that extra rubbish that don't amount
to nothing except to fill our HDD, forcing us to buy
larger HDD ............ etc....etc......etc

Guest said:
I'm still NOT buying O/S 7, period!!!
i still like XP better!! and yes i do have 7 on my desktop
p/c but i still prefer XP over 7.
7 still leaves a lot to be desired!!
Maybe O/S 8 will give us what we want and need
in a O/S without all that extra rubbish that don't amount
to nothing except to fill our HDD, forcing us to buy
larger HDD ............ etc....etc......etc

Good job not convincing anyone. Protip: an arguement has to have factual basis and not just rambling.

I actually like Windows 7. On my laptop is XP, my second desktop for my kids is Vista Ultimate and 7 on main desktop. The 1st guest may have been rambling but, he does have a valid point. On my desktop with 7 I performed a clean install of 7 using my 250 gb hdd, I'd previously been using XP. I purposely didn't reinstall all my games etc. that'd accumlated for several years. My hdd with XP had close to 50% free with tons o useless games etc.. With 7 installed( since March 10) and waaaaaaaaay less games etc, I have less than 25% free space. Not investigated why yet, but need to. One thing I know 7 does is create a .jpg for all your emails (WHY) I gotta find out how to kill that part of 7.

Guest said:
I actually like Windows 7. On my laptop is XP, my second desktop for my kids is Vista Ultimate and 7 on main desktop. The 1st guest may have been rambling but, he does have a valid point. On my desktop with 7 I performed a clean install of 7 using my 250 gb hdd, I'd previously been using XP. I purposely didn't reinstall all my games etc. that'd accumlated for several years. My hdd with XP had close to 50% free with tons o useless games etc.. With 7 installed( since March 10) and waaaaaaaaay less games etc, I have less than 25% free space. Not investigated why yet, but need to. One thing I know 7 does is create a .jpg for all your emails (WHY) I gotta find out how to kill that part of 7.

Hard drive space is like 4 cents a gigabyte now. People complain about lack of storage when they can get like 500gb of space for 30-40 dollars if they look around.

Some people just don't know when enough is enough. Come out of the dark ages and realize that XP was a fine OS but it does not even compare to 7 or Vista for that matter. I have run Vista for nearly 3 years now and had far fewer problems than XP. I like 7 even better and will switch all my computers over to 7 within the next couple of months. The age of small hard drives is over guys. Wake up and smell the coffee. The day has begun and you are getting left behind.

Some people just don't know when enough is enough. Come out of the dark ages and realize that XP was a fine OS but it does not even compare to 7 or Vista for that matter. I have run Vista for nearly 3 years now and had far fewer problems than XP. I like 7 even better and will switch all my computers over to 7 within the next couple of months. The age of small hard drives is over guys. Wake up and smell the coffee. The day has begun and you are getting left behind.

The point is not the cost of a hdd, or what windows O/S is better. I prefer 7. The point is what kind of crap is being put on the hdd by 7, that does not need to be there. Totally useless, unnecessary things that eat space and add time to a full AV scan, time to a defrag, etc.

Guest said:
The point is not the cost of a hdd, or what windows O/S is better. I prefer 7. The point is what kind of crap is being put on the hdd by 7, that does not need to be there. Totally useless, unnecessary things that eat space and add time to a full AV scan, time to a defrag, etc.

I just checked my win7 install and you guys must have a copy with bloatware. Mine is the ultimate edition and it doesn't take up near as much as you guys claim.

princeton said:
Guest said:

I just checked my win7 install and you guys must have a copy with bloatware. Mine is the ultimate edition and it doesn't take up near as much as you guys claim.

Well what are the cold hard facts? How much space does it take?

@ princeton, I bought and d/l full version of Home Premium from MS. It did not take much space to install 7. I had some pics of my family on my PC and musta been having a senior moment and couldn't find them. Performed a Serch for .jpg, walked off from it as it searched, the search completed, as I scrolled through the thumbnails, I noticed .jpg's named email (several thousand of them). My deal with hdd space used by Win 7 is ( I know I need a bigger drive btw ) if Win 7 adds files like a .jpg of emails, what else is it adding that unecessarily takes up space? I've not really dug into files to see what is there.

Guest your a tool and princeton is right.

go back to 1990 with your 286 and stop putting your FUD on the net.

Windows 7 is better than XP hands down, the only people that prefer XP are users on POS old computers who are too cheap to upgrade. Try running XP with a Quad core and 8 GB's or ram with an SSD!

What useless stuff is windows 7 adding that your 40GB's HD can't handle?

1TB drive is under $100 are you that cheap?

I'm guessing you are new to computers, this is how the industry is things change and it waits for no man. Either you roll with the punches or get left behind.

You gonna be running windows XP in 2020 still LMAO!

XP is a Virus and Spyware magnet good luck with that!

Your loss, I've had 7 since before it came out (beta) and XP before. I've never trouble with 7 but had a hell of a lot with XP (many formats and reinstalls)

My Windows 7 installation is 15GB at 70,439 files and 14,793 folders. I cannot understand why people still complain it takes so much space when hard drives are so inexpensive these days.

The GUEST who hates win 7 still defrags. lol ..

Who still defrags these days? I thought we all have SSD now.

This what happens when you try to reject newer technologies like win 7 over XP, SSD over defraging... etc

If I take out roughly 14GB for the games, only 21GB have been used by Win7 x64 + all the software (including MS Office suite) I use. Hence, all this fuzz about Win7 taking too much space seems to be nothing more than inflated imagination of someone from the 1990s.

Although, I do suspect most people put things on their OS/HDD which they use once in a blue moon, hence the space on OS partition just keep getting lesser, so yo can't blame OS for your own lack of vision I'd say.

I have to agree there. :)

Even with my recent influx of game installs (that's around 20GB alone), I'm still only using 48GB (of 256GB) on my SSD. Hardly anything to write home about tbh!

Thats with W7 Pro, x64. with crap loads of software installed as well.

Interesting to see that there's no discussion of Windows Live Essentials here at all. I wanted to comment about it, but reading all the comments just made me think "whatever".

Whatever to most of you, bunch dill weed know it alls. DKS, living outta your computer chairs, got no clue about nothin.

@Guest on October 3, 2010 1:20 PM "Whatever to most of you, bunch dill weed know it alls. DKS, living outta your computer chairs, got no clue about nothin."

Hey kid, don't get into personal attacks or judging other people that you have never met in your life. Just because people don't agree with your opinions doesn't give you free reign to do that.

I don't know much about most of the WLE 2011 programs. I do use and like Messenger and Mail. Also Windows 7 rules.

From TweakGuides.com

Unfortunately although Windows Live Essentials 2011 contains some improvements, it also installs a new service and several aspects of itself which are unnecessary, especially if you don't sign in using a Live account. The 'Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant' service cannot be disabled if you want certain Live programs to work such as Windows Live Mail - set it to Manual. However a range of Windows Live-related background programs, tasks, etc. can be disabled using Autoruns; see the Startup Programs chapter of the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for general instructions. Alternatively, stick with your existing versions of Windows Live programs, as the newer versions don't necessarily contain any dramatic improvements aside from adding the Ribbon interface, which some may even find undesirable.

Guys, not everyone is a computer geek like you, that has no life and simply "has to" get the latest OS and the latest hardware to feel alive.

some people have bettter things to do that hug their computer at night in their sleep.

only a nerd would suggest that SSD drives are very common piece of hardware in businesses or otherwise, or perhaps you guys get your HW for free from work, and then look down at people that don't.

I suggest you get a life, because windows 7 has not real value to personal or business users other than the "amazing" 4 GB RAM support , which to a normal user is bogus.

As if windows 7 have such an amazing arrray of tools that we simply couldn't live without...
get real...

Guest said:
Guys, not everyone is a computer geek like you, that has no life and simply "has to" get the latest OS and the latest hardware to feel alive.

some people have bettter things to do that hug their computer at night in their sleep.

only a nerd would suggest that SSD drives are very common piece of hardware in businesses or otherwise, or perhaps you guys get your HW for free from work, and then look down at people that don't.

I suggest you get a life, because windows 7 has not real value to personal or business users other than the "amazing" 4 GB RAM support , which to a normal user is bogus.

As if windows 7 have such an amazing arrray of tools that we simply couldn't live without...
get real...
I think you went a little heavy on the ignorance and poor grammar with this comment.
But if you are just trolling, good show.

Back