Microsoft reportedly in discussions over partnership with Dailymotion

Justin Kahn

French multinational telecommunications company Orange is apparently in talks with Microsoft regarding some kind of partnership with the company's video website Dailymotion.

Orange CEO Stephane Richard told the French television network BFM that discussions continue between the two companies but that there is no guarantee a deal will be made, according to The Wall Street Journal. Orange has since confirmed Richard's comments, but Microsoft is yet to make an official statement on the matter.

Details on the sort of partnership the two are discussing are thin at this point, but according to transcripts from the French television report, Richard said that Orange would likely remain in control of the company and that the partnership with Microsoft would be mostly "industrial."

Orange was founded in 2005 (about a month after YouTube) and remains a competitor to the video site giant. While it maintains a fairly healthy presence globally, the company is very focused on growing its user base in the US.

Reports from last year said that Orange was in talks with a major US company regarding some kind of deal with Dailymotion. After the French government blocked the sale of the video site to Yahoo, and with Orange's interest in growing Dailymotion's US presence, Microsoft both seems to be a suitable fit and could help the French video site take on the seemingly impossible task of going up against YouTube.

Permalink to story.

Dailymotion the only place that is that old and ancient it takes a microsoft to think its gonna go anywhere with a deal like this, Youtube is MASSIVE compared to this site I never even use this site... its terrible.

Dailymotion the only place that is that old and ancient it takes a microsoft to think its gonna go anywhere with a deal like this, Youtube is MASSIVE compared to this site I never even use this site... its terrible.

I've used it, more than a couple of times it's great when you don't want the limitations of youtube to embed content into sites.

Why is it for everyone the one choice or the other? Why not both?!

I've used it, more than a couple of times it's great when you don't want the limitations of youtube to embed content into sites.
Agreed, but for some people, you see, they like to be Microsoft hating twats, because... hey, well... it's Microsoft, and Microsoft must be hated, but I digress...

Well mainly because Dailymotion is like a grave yard and Youtube is like the worlds biggest party its full of content and stuff you need but Dailymotion has like what 1-2% of what youtube does?
Quality on Dailymotion isnt all that great either specially as its not like youtube where you can get paid tons of cash and its full of content.

Its like people saying Why netflix why not go with Walmarts new thing vulu well a few reasons: No where near the kind of content netflix has and netflix is cheap.

Back