Microsoft reportedly killing Games for Windows Live in July 2014

By Scorpus
Aug 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. According to a since-deleted support page from Microsoft, discovered by Polygon, Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. At least one title that relies on the service, Age of Empries Online, will be affected by the...

Read more
  2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Good.

Bury that **** 20 miles deep.
    LukeDJ, St1ckM4n and Darth Shiv like this.
  3. mccartercar

mccartercar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 111   +15

4. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Guru Posts: 675   +39

I hated games for windows live, kill it with fireeeee! If they plan on making something, either make it good or nothing at all.
  5. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 506   +134

Not surprised. People didn't like it (even petitioned against it).
    I however have had no problems with it (besides not being able to join an XBL party)...
  6. jeffz6

jeffz6 Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

Good. GFWL killed many great games
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +707

It's no loss. It never worked anyway.
  8. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

So what happens to games that are anchored by this worthless piece of DRM, such as Fallout 3?
  9. ddg4005

ddg4005 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 220   +22

I have several games that use this service. What's going to happen to them if the service is shuttered?
  10. Divvet

Divvet Newcomer, in training Posts: 57   +19

Iv'e never once used a GFWL account, and yet I have completed Fallout 3, so don't think that will be an issue.
  11. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 968   +147

I think I only played aoe online about 4x then I forgot about it (and my pword).
    I played aoe2 more than any other game except starcraft broodwar; will probably buy aoe2 hd via steam when price hits less than 5 dollars (loooong time :) )
    currently, my games for the week are l4d and l4d2 and for next week, I'll probably play d3 again.

I think MS is remiss in promoting GFWL as even the free aoe online is not popular in my town.
    (I love city building games but even aoe online is meh.)

12. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,025   +91

The worst gaming service I've ever used. it made the hate closing and opening batman and I even had a lot of trouble installing it. so dam stupid
  13. Now, if they shutter the Metro interface the world will be a better place.
  14. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,195   +69

Oh god you heard me!!! This is the best news ever!
  15. Ever since an early patch, Fallout 3 requires GFWL to be installed in order to run.
  16. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 388   +34

I hope they provide some sort of patch or workaround for those of us who still want to play some older games at times. I enjoyed the Batman games so much I've played them 3-4 times over now, and probably will want to continue to do so in the future. I still play GTA IV every once in a while, and if V doesn't come out on PC then I probably still will want to in two years time.
  17. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

You're forced to install it with the last update for some insane reason. If you try without GFWL, it complains about missing .dlls.
  18. Kevin82485

Kevin82485 TechSpot Member Posts: 43   +9

I read that they were shutting down the GFWL Marketplace (to buy DLC for GFWL PC titles), not GFWL itself.
  19. tmcclelland47

tmcclelland47 Newcomer, in training

The only game I liked was Tinker, and I got that when I threw Vista Ultimate on my netbook (BTW, Vista runs really well on my netbook.) I wanted Halo 2, but thanks to a certain Pirate we all know and love, I got it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.