Microsoft rolls out emergency fix for critical flaw affecting all versions of Internet Explorer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has issued an emergency update to patch a critical vulnerability that affects all supported versions of Internet Explorer. If you haven’t already installed the fix, it’s recommended that you do so ASAP as hackers are said to be actively exploiting it. Here’s everything you need to know.

Security bulletin MS15-093 pertains to a remote code execution flaw found in found in all supported versions of Internet Explorer (IE7 and newer; Microsoft’s Edge browser for Windows 10 isn’t at risk) including 32- and 64-bit variants.

Specifically, the vulnerability deals with improperly accessing objects in memory which could subsequently corrupt memory in a manner that allows an attacker to run code remotely. Said hacker could also gain the same user rights as the current user. As such, those with full admin rights are at a greater risk than users with restricted access.

Microsoft says an Internet Explorer user visiting a specially crafted website designed to exploit the flaw could become victimized. What’s more, attackers don’t need their own site as the bug can be exploited over ad networks used on legitimate sites. Getting users to a compromised or crafted page is actually easier than it sounds as a phishing attempt via e-mail would certainly do the trick.

Again, Microsoft notes that the vulnerability is being actively exploited although it didn’t provide any further details on the matter. Users can grab the patch via Windows Update or obtain the standalone fix via the Microsoft Download Center.

Permalink to story.

Do NOT install the recommended updates. M$ has secretly hidden an nVIDIA driver there. None of the recommended updates' details say ANYTHING about any of them being a display driver or driver for that matter. After a restart, it even went as far as turning DSR on GLOBALLY (2.00x) and after trying to uninstall the driver and everything with it (physx, 3D etc) the end result was nothing named nVIDIA was in add/remove or Revo Uninstaller.

I did a Clean Custom Install (driver and PhysX only) of the same driver and the proper entries are installed and showing in add/remove.

I have not had a single graphics driver appear in Windows Update until today. Something really freaking fishy is going on. I am running Windows 8.1.

Last edited:
I use Deep Freeze, so I don't have to care about any virus and malwares. It's like wearing a condom as you surf. LOL.

@hahahanoobs, it's best to disable driver updates at - System - Advanced System Settings - Hardware - Device installation settings - Never install drivers from Windows Updates -
That's a must with Windows 10 since we have less control with Windows updates.

I use Deep Freeze, so I don't have to care about any virus and malwares. It's like wearing a condom as you surf. LOL.

@hahahanoobs, it's best to disable driver updates at - System - Advanced System Settings - Hardware - Device installation settings - Never install drivers from Windows Updates -

They are set to Never install. That's why this is so fishy. I've had this same W8.1 install since W8.1 came out and this is the first time this has ever happened. I don't even know what one of the recommended updates is the driver. In the update history it does not say (ie: KBxxxxx).

Update: Ah so I just hid the 6 recommended updates and hit back arrow, and did another check for updates and guess popped up? Yup, the nVIDIA driver. Man this doesn't make any sense....

Last edited:
Which is why I am riding the fence on whether to upgrade to Windows 10. My main rig has Professional so I have a choice, but other machines in the house only has Home.

That setting is not implemented, I tried it on two separate installs of Win10 Pro and Enterprise.
Impossible to prevent driver updates :(

That setting is not implemented, I tried it on two separate installs of Win10 Pro and Enterprise.
I'm running into the same problem. Silly AMD driver keeps installing over top of my manual install and creating all sorts of issues. If anyone finds a workaround for this, I'd be happy if they'd let me know.

That's a bummer. :(
It works fine on 8.1. Updates for my GTX 750 Ti are not showing up any more.
I bet most gamers won't be upgrading anytime soon, unless MS changes their imposed automatic Windows Updates.

Back