Microsoft sells over 2 million Xbox Ones worldwide in 18 days

Justin Kahn

microsoft xbox microsoft xbox one 2 million gamestop bob puzon john love xbox live playstation 4

Microsoft has now come out with the early launch sales numbers for Xbox One saying that units flew off the shelves at "a record-setting pace" for the brand. Since its launch 18 days ago, Microsoft has sold over 2 million consoles worldwide.

Not only have gamers been scooping up the consoles at a rate of about 111,111 units per day since launch, according to Microsoft gamers are putting the systems to use as well. So far users have logged over 83 million hours playing games, using apps and watching TV on Xbox One.

According to Xbox corporate vice president of strategy and marketing, Yusuf Mehdi, Xbox One owners have already dropped more than $1 million in paid transactions (including both digital games and video content purchases) over Xbox Live.

John Love, the director of video games at Amazon said that at "peak demand, customers were ordering the Xbox One console at over 1000 units per minute on Amazon.com.”

Bob Puzon from GameStop said that the chain is experiencing high demand from its "customers for this innovative console" and that it is "working closely with Microsoft to receive more units to fulfill" holiday shopping lists. Walmart echoes both GameStop and Amazon saying that Xbox One "was a top seller this Black Friday."

In comparison to what we we have heard so far regarding PlayStation 4 sales numbers, it appears as though the two are fairly close and that both consoles are selling well. According to reports, Sony sold 2.1 million PS4s in its first 16 days of availability, but that number only accounts for two days of sales in Europe and Australasia. While that does appear that Sony is in the lead, it is important to keep in mind that Xbox One is only available in 13 regions right now compared to the 32 countries PS4 is currently sold in, not to mention the one week head start Sony had.

Permalink to story.

Pretty impressive sales numbers for both units, especially considering they aren't backwards compatible. I guess people were just ready for some decent looking games. ;)

Over 2 million who bought into an overhyped, expensive Xbox v1.5. Including myself. My XOne is watching me have a blast on my Wii U.

Xbox ones sales figures arent as good as sony's simply because microsoft like crippling their user base and sony got 2.1mill in 16days and microsoft got 2mill in 18days it kinda shows that people dont like being screwed over and people just like consoles with say 50% more power thats $100 less than the competitor.

Over 2 million who bought into an overhyped, expensive Xbox v1.5. Including myself. My XOne is watching me have a blast on my Wii U.
Wow... a Wii U owner in the wild, not something you see everyday (joking)
Play on what ever you like best! Fun and joy is what matters.
On a personal note I really don't get what people see in Nintendo games, but hey, that's just me.

Xbox ones sales figures arent as good as sony's simply because microsoft like crippling their user base and sony got 2.1mill in 16days and microsoft got 2mill in 18days it kinda shows that people dont like being screwed over and people just like consoles with say 50% more power thats $100 less than the competitor.
I've begun noticing that you don't read at all, do you? You also interpret things your way, despite the black and white text on the wall, especially when it comes to Microsoft related news... not to mention your comments read like the ranting of a prepubescent child.

I am genuinely shocked how much Xbox One stuff I've seen around my way, seriously, I'm shocked how stupid people are. Most the machines features don't even work in my country and it's seriously expensive yet people are yapping it up "because the controller is good". What's worse is EVERYONE who has given me that excuse hasn't even given the PS4 controller a try, it's a very sad day to see a less powerful console which equally try's to shove Kinect down your throat selling so well :(

I am genuinely shocked how much Xbox One stuff I've seen around my way, seriously, I'm shocked how stupid people are. Most the machines features don't even work in my country and it's seriously expensive yet people are yapping it up "because the controller is good". What's worse is EVERYONE who has given me that excuse hasn't even given the PS4 controller a try, it's a very sad day to see a less powerful console which equally try's to shove Kinect down your throat selling so well :(

Plus if you love the xbox one controller soo much you can always buy one of those xbox one ps4 controllers lol they look like a xbox on controller but work on the ps4!

For me when I am playing a FPS game I prefer the xbox controller tbh so I just got a xbox one-ps4 controller for best of both worlds lol

Am I the only one who noticed that Microsoft knows how many people have used the TV software and apps on the Xbox One? Does no one find this wrong? Microsoft admitting they know what you do with your Xbox One? I find this extremely disturbing but hey, not like most people care anyways, right?.

Am I the only one who noticed that Microsoft knows how many people have used the TV software and apps on the Xbox One? Does no one find this wrong? Microsoft admitting they know what you do with your Xbox One? I find this extremely disturbing but hey, not like most people care anyways, right?.

If its just a counter like if they access the app it sends a packet to the microsoft server that then logs that on a global counter then its fine but once they start logging exactly what their users are doing then we have a problem, its bad enough they made the NSA camera mandatory(lol).

This XboxOne is only good for the U.S region. In my country the TV features is of no use. I got me a PS4.

If you're surprised with this, don't read tech news. Assasin Creed 4? They know exactly how many chickens have been killed.

You thinking only MS does this is even more disturbing. Open your eyes man.

If you're surprised with this, don't read tech news. Assasin Creed 4? They know exactly how many chickens have been killed.

I think there's a difference between in-game telemetry like; how many chickens have been killed, or how many shots have been fired vs what your using your console for and for how long. One is a neat little stat you and your friends can laugh about, the other a more serious concern for a lot of people these days, throw in an obligatory camera and of course there will be a problem.

As per those sales figures, I guess they're alright, but the PS4's are better. Only 41.5 hours of use per console on average over 18 days, 2.3 hours per day. For a new console that's suppose to be your one stop entertainment/media center in a box, that really isn't impressive at all. I use my PS3 more per day than that, for both media function and games, especially now that GT6 came out.

And to Mr. "I've begun noticing that you don't read at all, do you?" Guest, how about sign up and make an account so we can notice your trends and see if you have anything valuable to add to the forum.

I only mentioned the chicken stat because I thought it would be obscure/funny. The developers were on a Reddit AMA a while ago, and they have plenty more stats.

They can see:
- Anything related to deaths, etc
- HP of your character after boss fights
- The exact coordinates, character action, time point .. of where you died.

It's just analytics. With an always-connected device and a EULA that supports it (and a camera), you'd be silly to think that any and all usage isn't logged.

Maybe the launch games are better on Xbox One? Maybe people prefer Xbox Live to PSN? Maybe the Kinect is actually freaking awesome and changes the way you interact with the console? Maybe people don't give a crap how powerful the console is because (shock and horror), its all about the games?

Maybe the launch games are better on Xbox One? Maybe people prefer Xbox Live to PSN? Maybe the Kinect is actually freaking awesome and changes the way you interact with the console? Maybe people don't give a crap how powerful the console is because (shock and horror), its all about the games?

So you'd pay £430 for launch games? I guess your new to this console thing then, Launch games are never anything special, later down the line is when the good games come out, usually a year or two after launch, Sony have the better first party devs (Microsoft lost most of their decent developers years ago) so, as a long term investment, the PS4 is the better bet for games.

Xbox Live vs PSN is kinda the same thing, I've used both and find both just as annoying, only difference is the prices and Sony's are better cheaper, sometimes even free.

The Kinect is not freaking awesome, it's a cool gadget that wow's you for all of 5 seconds, you soon turn off the voice commands when your friends keeps yelling at it to switch game every time he's losing and the whole IR Blaster thing is turned off because it turns your bloody TV off when you switch the console on after watching TV. Plus their are plenty of articles and youtube videos of people with various accents talking to kinect and it really doesn't work as well as if said person had an American accent.

If It's about the games, Kinect doesn't bring anything new to the table, just improves what already existed, it also takes a 10% performance hit on the already underpowered GPU, great for people who don't want to use it I suppose?

If It's about the games, Multi-platforms run better on the PS4, they have some seriously good First Party Devs AND the console is cheaper, give it time when they update the firmware it'll do more than it currently does as well.

And lastly, if it was about the games, Why has Microsoft had to U-turn on all their original decisions? Why is their less powerful console more expensive? Why do you have to pay for Gold for simple things like recording game play? Why use 32mb of ESRAM instead of just some decent RAM? Making more work for the developer?

I've used both extensively and purchased neither, I will purchase ONE console when a decent game that peaks my interest comes out that is not on PC, which means it will probably be on PS4 Since The Last of Us was seriously good and the same guys who made that golden nugget of the game are making an Uncharted game for PS4. Only game that interested me on Xbox One was Titan Fall which is also on PC.

I'm using guest because I can't recall my password here any more, but I joined up long, long ago. I own both Xbox360 and PS3, I favored both main console competitors from the first, software is the true telling factor of how well a console fairs, but on top of that is what it's got on tap, even if it's just input and output jacks, how well the optical disc works or Wireless/Broadband capability. I plan to get the cheap one first, but with PS3, I went after the expensive one first, then got into Xbox, I spent over $500 there now with all the RRoD units I encountered! Cheap pay as you go though

This isn't personal data, though; they're not singling out individual users and providing their personal statistics.

Wish both consoles would bring out some decent games. Other than bit of battlefield 4 (which does look great) I have hardly played my PS4 . There's just no games worth playing . Ended up playing hearthstone and xcom EW on my PC. Sure it will get its use when some decent games come out.

Wish both consoles would bring out some decent games. Other than bit of battlefield 4 (which does look great) I have hardly played my PS4 . There's just no games worth playing . Ended up playing hearthstone and xcom EW on my PC. Sure it will get its use when some decent games come out.

Whether games are good are just up to opinion. I haven't gotten the Xbox one yet but I'm excited for most of the games so far (Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, NBA2K14). I stopped playing on my PC because there was nothing I wanted during the holiday sales.

Not everyone who plays games cares about how powerful their console is or what the controller is like. There are plenty of factors for why someone might choose one console or the other. The PS4 never crossed my mind because it's just not something I desire. If it doesn't work in your country, don't buy it, but since I'm in the US, that's not a problem.

Back