Microsoft to unveil first Nokia-less Lumia smartphone on November 11

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft -nokia lumia nokia smartphone lumia microsoft lumia

Microsoft’s first Lumia device without Nokia branding will be unveiled on November 11. The Redmond-based company recently made the announcement on its Nokia Conversations blog alongside a teaser image of said device sporting a camera module in what appears to be the front right corner of the handset.

The brief post says Microsoft is delivering the power of everyday mobile technology to everyone. Come back on November 11 to find out more. They also threw in #MoreLumia for good measure.

The photo is the third in a series of images released by Microsoft. The other two reveal Microsoft branding on what looks to be the front and back of the handset. Judging by the photos alone, the phone will carry a colorful plastic shell which seems to fit with earlier rumors suggesting this won’t be a flagship but rather, a budget-minded device.

Chinese site Tenna recently leaked specs for a phone known as the RM-1090 which is believed to be the Lumia handset in question. Those specs include a 5-inch HD screen, a 1.2GHz Snapdragon 200 processor, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of onboard storage, dual-SIM support, a 5-megapixel rear camera, a VGA front-facing shooter and a 1900mAh battery.

The site claims the phone will come in black, white, gray, blue, orange, and green.

Some expect the phone to launch as the Lumia 525 but we won’t know for sure until next Tuesday.

Permalink to story.

Apart from the screen, if it's 1080p, those specs look pretty low end to me but as long as the price is right I can see it selling as well as the Lumia 520 did.

Low end? you do realize that WP is optimized to work with low specs, like iPhone is set up. unlike
Android, where it has beefy specs, but does absolutely no justice for it most of the time.

Apart from the screen, if it's 1080p, those specs look pretty low end to me but as long as the price is right I can see it selling as well as the Lumia 520 did.
Yeah I guess they are targeting the low-end device market since they cannot compete in the high-end one.

Am sorry, but this wont sell well. The Nokia brand was what gives M$oft the recognition they wanted in the mobile space and that brand is no more... I only see downhill from here on for Microsoft. They will bankrupt in 3 yrs.

Am sorry, but this wont sell well. The Nokia brand was what gives M$oft the recognition they wanted in the mobile space and that brand is no more... I only see downhill from here on for Microsoft. They will bankrupt in 3 yrs.

You must be a master or have a doctorate in economics, your claims sound legit...

Back to reality... Like someone said already, windows is pretty well optimized for mobile devices so the specs don't need to be compared to android ones, it's like comparing an android quad 2,3 ghz to the iphones dual 1-1,2 ghz.

If they want to succeed, bring back the "Nokia" logo and then put the small size 'microsoft' logo below the 'Nokia' logo or they can just put the microsoft logo whenever the device reboot/restart/shutting down.

Apart from the screen, if it's 1080p
Other tech news outlets have claimed the screen is 960x540.
WP is optimized to work with low specs, like iPhone is set up.
I hope you're not saying the iPhone has "low specs". The Apple A8 is an ARMv8-based chip and is faster than Snapdragon 800 SoC's, so seeing the words "1.4 GHz dual-core" and thinking that means "low specs" is a remarkable display of ignorance.
If you only mean that iOS is more efficient than Android, sure, it was until now. But that will no longer be the case after the transistion to Lollipop and ART (or at least not as much as before).
Am sorry, but this wont sell well. The Nokia brand was what gives M$oft the recognition they wanted in the mobile space and that brand is no more.
The Nokia brand, after almost four years selling WP devices, afforded Microsoft a measly 2% marketshare, which is now shrinking, by the way. Sorry, but I fail to see all this success that the "Nokia" brand recognition was supposedly bringing to Microsoft. It's almost as if the people who speak of this are ordinary people on the internet who have no clue what they are talking about.
I only see downhill from here on for Microsoft. They will bankrupt in 3 yrs.
Yes! Microsoft will go bankrupt soon due to getting rid of the Nokia brand, of course! It's not like they are an gigantic company that still has over 90% share on PCs with Windows, a huge Office market and a steadly growing cloud services division as well as Azure, is it? If Microsoft fails on making smartphone hardware, they are done for good!
If they want to succeed, bring back the "Nokia" logo and then put the small size 'microsoft' logo below the 'Nokia' logo or they can just put the microsoft logo whenever the device reboot/restart/shutting down.
And here is another incredible, life-saving business tip, straight from the great mind of Mr. Average Joe! You'll now be getting a call from Microsoft with an offer to be a high-level executive with them any day soon.

Apart from the screen, if it's 1080p
Other tech news outlets have claimed the screen is 960x540.
WP is optimized to work with low specs, like iPhone is set up.
I hope you're not saying the iPhone has "low specs". The Apple A8 is an ARMv8-based chip and is faster than Snapdragon 800 SoC's, so seeing the words "1.4 GHz dual-core" and thinking that means "low specs" is a remarkable display of ignorance.
If you only mean that iOS is more efficient than Android, sure, it was until now. But that will no longer be the case after the transistion to Lollipop and ART (or at least not as much as before).
Am sorry, but this wont sell well. The Nokia brand was what gives M$oft the recognition they wanted in the mobile space and that brand is no more.
The Nokia brand, after almost four years selling WP devices, afforded Microsoft a measly 2% marketshare, which is now shrinking, by the way. Sorry, but I fail to see all this success that the "Nokia" brand recognition was supposedly bringing to Microsoft. It's almost as if the people who speak of this are ordinary people on the internet who have no clue what they are talking about.
I only see downhill from here on for Microsoft. They will bankrupt in 3 yrs.
Yes! Microsoft will go bankrupt soon due to getting rid of the Nokia brand, of course! It's not like they are an gigantic company that still has over 90% share on PCs with Windows, a huge Office market and a steadly growing cloud services division as well as Azure, is it? If Microsoft fails on making smartphone hardware, they are done for good!
And here is another incredible, life-saving business tip, straight from the great mind of Mr. Average Joe! You'll now be getting a call from Microsoft with an offer to be a high-level executive with them any day soon.
Do not think Nokia was all to blame for that market share. I am not sure but as I remembered Microsoft’s OS could not support higher resolutions screens and in the current market where "Retina Display" and “1080p” is all the craze, people went for other alternatives. Many dislike the OS interface itself with its bland titles and lack of customizability.
Nokia is a well known name and has made recognizable and symbolic mobiles phones across the years. Nokia phones were known for their built quality and durability.
Losing the Nokia brand name would not affect Microsoft in a negative way however most of us oldies will miss Nokia in general; the Nokia name, their slogan “Connecting People”, the boot up sound and those hands reaching for each other.:'(

however most of us oldies will miss Nokia in general; the Nokia name, their slogan "Connecting People", the boot up sound and those hands reaching for each other.:'(
This does not mean that the Nokia brand will disappear forever. Microsoft did not buy the Nokia brand, they only bought the mobile hardware division. The brand still belongs to the original Nokia (the finnish company that sold their mobile division to Microsoft), and Microsoft merely "licensed" the brand to use during this transitional time. The fact that Microsoft would eventually stop using the Nokia brand was part of the deal.
Besides, the original Nokia company is only contratually obligated to stay out of the smartphone market until 2017, if I'm not mistaken. After that (and given Microsoft will already have stopped using the Nokia brand, as per contract), they are free to enter that market again if they desire.

however most of us oldies will miss Nokia in general; the Nokia name, their slogan "Connecting People", the boot up sound and those hands reaching for each other.:'(
This does not mean that the Nokia brand will disappear forever. Microsoft did not buy the Nokia brand, they only bought the mobile hardware division. The brand still belongs to the original Nokia (the finnish company that sold their mobile division to Microsoft), and Microsoft merely "licensed" the brand to use during this transitional time. The fact that Microsoft would eventually stop using the Nokia brand was part of the deal.
Besides, the original Nokia company is only contratually obligated to stay out of the smartphone market until 2017, if I'm not mistaken. After that (and given Microsoft will already have stopped using the Nokia brand, as per contract), they are free to enter that market again if they desire.
Thank you for the update Guest, I did not know that. =)

"And here is another incredible, life-saving business tip, straight from the great mind of Mr. Average Joe! You'll now be getting a call from Microsoft with an offer to be a high-level executive with them any day soon."

don't know whether you were serious with that comment or you just didn't get it, the whole idea 'put nokia logo back' was only for joke/sarcasm..

Yeah I guess they are targeting the low-end device market since they cannot compete in the high-end one.
Believe me they'll be fighting tooth and nail and getting their asses kicked (although I'm not so sure of that) in the high end market long before you can say "Windows Phone 9". MS certainly isn't going hang around in the low/med level and call it a day. This could just be an updated Lumia 525 with a 720p screen and a few other obligatory upgrades. I'm sure Scorpus will tell us soon.

Back