Microsoft tweaks Windows 10 in new preview build

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has released a new preview build of Windows 10 to Insiders currently on the Fast Ring. Build 10122 is largely a collection of minor changes and updates, as Microsoft begins finalizing the operating system for its public release later this year.

Several of these improvements relate to the Start menu. Microsoft has "refined the visual layout of Start" by grouping File Explorer and Settings with Power and All Apps, while the toggle to switch between Start menu and Start screen has been removed. Continuum has also been improved to deliver a better interface to those in tablet mode.

Microsoft has made a couple of additions and changes to Edge, the company's new browser that will effectively replace Internet Explorer in Windows 10. Most notably, the new tab page has been completely revamped, and the Chakra engine that powers the browser has received a range of performance enhancements.

Several features that were previously available in Internet Explorer are now included with Edge as well, including InPrivate browsing, and the ability to pin websites to Start.

Other notable improvements to Windows 10 in build 10122 include changes to the way the OS handles default apps, an overhauled Insider Hub, and fixes for font rendering on high DPI displays.

Microsoft does note that users with AMD GPUs might experience crashes while trying to run Edge in this latest build of Windows 10. If you do have an AMD GPU, it's advised you switch to the Slow Ring until Microsoft fixes the issue or AMD releases a new set of Windows 10-ready drivers.

Permalink to story.

I really wanna try this out but I have no empty partition (1 Hard Drive, 2 Partitions). Can I install it on D:\ without formating the partition and later just deleting the OS after I'm done with it?

Not to bad but takes up to much room in hard drive and than you have 2 sets of windows in your hard drive you should be able to delete 8.1's to make more space in your hard drive but it won't delete so I only have half a hard drive left and it slowed down my computer. if you can't put a bigger hard drive in you will have to pay a tech like me a 150.00 to put a bigger one in and than reload windows which is 200.00 because 3 set of windows to load. window 10 is a poor ideal sorry but thats how it is unless you can delete other window to free up hard drive.iTS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

@ Nobina,

If your NON-System partition (probably D:) has enough space, you could download & install Oracle's VirtualBox virtual machine package for your version of Windows, and then install Windows10 Preview as a "guest" virtual machine in your VBox "host". You can blow away Windows10 Preview at any time (for instance when there's a newer Win10 Preview version).
I've used VBox hosted in Linux to checkout Win10 earlier Preview version as a "guest" OS. VBox is cool!

I like 10122 except for the AMD driver.
When trying to play a 1080 mkv file using mpc-hc with madvr I get audio but a green screen.
I tried to play Project Cars and in a race with 56 cars and Thunderstorms I couldn't get more than 10 fps.

I uninstalled the Windows 10 drivers and put Catalyst 15.5 beta and it went back to 25/30 fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^
Yeah,just a pity they don't work,was hoping that it would help with Project cars at least.

I really wanna try this out but I have no empty partition (1 Hard Drive, 2 Partitions). Can I install it on D:\ without formating the partition and later just deleting the OS after I'm done with it?

I'd highly recommend using a Virtual Machine instead. VMWare player is far better than VirtualBox in my experience.

Download the win 10 ISO, download VMware player, and use VMWare player to install the OS. Be sure to give the OS about 4GB of ram and 2 to 4 CPU cores for best performance.

I've just downloaded and installed the new build. Like its predecessor, it is slow to the point of frustration to start with many black screens and when started is still sluggish. It took a very long time to install.
I am using an I7 3.4 quad and an ssd and on my other disk windows 8 is extremely fast. This is the third build I have tried and same problem with others. I am using an adequate page file. Are others experiencing this problem.

No black screens and it shows that my PC is starting up about 2 seconds quicker,using BootRacer to measure.
The only problems I have is trying to get a Windows 10 GPU driver that works well.

Scratch that 2 seconds quicker,when I tested before I posted, I got a time of 25 seconds just did a quick tweak in the registry and restarted and got it down to 12.3 seconds with the same programs and apps that I would use on Windows 8.1.
So it starts quicker than 8,1 and 7 SP1 for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
No black screens and it shows that my PC is starting up about 2 seconds quicker,using BootRacer to measure.
The only problems I have is trying to get a Windows 10 GPU driver that works well.

Scratch that 2 seconds quicker,when I tested before I posted, I got a time of 25 seconds just did a quick tweak in the registry and restarted and got it down to 12.3 seconds with the same programs and apps that I would use on Windows 8.1.
So it starts quicker than 8,1 and 7 SP1 for me.

Could be a disk problem. Will try another one.

Not to bad but takes up to much room in hard drive and than you have 2 sets of windows in your hard drive you should be able to delete 8.1's to make more space in your hard drive but it won't delete so I only have half a hard drive left and it slowed down my computer. if you can't put a bigger hard drive in you will have to pay a tech like me a 150.00 to put a bigger one in and than reload windows which is 200.00 because 3 set of windows to load. window 10 is a poor ideal sorry but thats how it is unless you can delete other window to free up hard drive.iTS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

Frown, have completed about 6 upgrades for Windows 10 involving fresh installs and in place upgrade. I noticed the Windows.old directory as well and it took me less than 2 min to figure out how to remove it.

Link below if you want to remove
http://blog.laptopmag.com/delete-windows-old-folder

So all in all if you have windows 8.1 then windows 10 is free (which is good), it can be done by windows updates (which is good), provides better performance (which is good), better features (which is good) and you don't have to pay a tech (which is good).

I fail to see the downside.

Build 10074 from ISO ; nothing kept ; FAST ring ; update to Build 10122 ; Cortana not fully functional---voice problems ...GOOD NEWS ...DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth finally works ; also sfc /scannow works...not sure, but hoping Cortana is fixed...

AMD really has to pick up their game and release at least a Windows 10 beta driver! nVidia is smashing them in the driver game and it is becoming a blood bath lol.

Just tested driver version 1023.3 in project cars on the LeMans circuit with 56 cars in total and at the time there were 3 cars in front of me and the weather set to thunderstorms I was sitting between 30/38 fps with everything on max but the aa was on MSAA,Res is 1080p
There were a couple times when it dipped to about 25fps but it was for a split second.
With the last driver I couldn't even get more than 7fps so this is a huge step up,at least for me in Pcars.
Now I just need to figure out why my videos wont play when using DXVA.

All you have to do is right click C drive then go properties then disc clean-up
Maybe something different is done with Disc Clean-up but I've always just right clicked on Windows.old and deleted. Never noticed any ill-effects from that.

Back