Microsoft unveils motion control for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

As speculated, Microsoft today unveiled the long rumored motion-sensing device for its Xbox 360 console that will allow players to control games with the movement of their bodies. Dubbed Project Natal, the new accessory consists of a camera, depth sensor and multi-array microphone that can track full body movements, recognize facial expressions and even voice commands.

The company hopes to emulate the success of Nintendo’s Wii, without the need for a controller, noting that Project Natal will offer more than just a set of “preset waggle commands.” You can use the system to control your Xbox Live avatar, navigate through the Xbox 360’s dashboard using gestures captured by the camera, and control games specifically designed for the device – development kits are said to be going out today. It might be a while before this motion-sensing bar hits the market, but Microsoft is nonetheless teasing us with a short video demonstrating how the system could be used to control games.

The announcement was made at the company’s E3 press conference, where Microsoft also unveiled a number of exclusive titles and the ability to access social networking sites Facebook and Twitter as well as streaming music service Last.fm on the Xbox Live service.

Permalink to story.

im glad someone thinks that this is a great idea - I would never buy one. The Wii was bad enough - but any camera based system - who's not believing that this system will be wrought with problems
(lighting, background movements, etc..) Microsoft could be placing this development money in much better places.

Well it's totally something new, you cannot compeer it to the Nintendo Wii, as I was reviewed it on E3 yesterday, it's pretty amassing and it didn't show any delays, it was tested in different lightning, and regarding to background movements it only acknowledge the person that got scan'd with the voice recognition when the console starts up.

i had fun playing with the ps2 eyecamera. if this works as well as suggested and doesnt need additional controllers, it will be interesting and get some more people playing games who might have been put off by joypads.

if you believe the future of gaming is to evermore press plastic buttons rather than waive gestures in the air and interract with intelligent characters on the screen then you wont like this. personally I think its going in the right direction. just listen to spielberg creaming over the creative possibilities :)

Like any new product, Natal will have its issues, but I'm glad to see Microsoft going in this direction. Even if the implementation doesn't turn out perfect, it's a step in the right direction. Now that there is competition between major console makers, perhaps the the next generation of motion controlled systems will be better.

Remember the graphics on the original Nintendo? Super Nintendo? Nintendo 64? It took a while to for graphics to get to the point we're at now. I expect the same will be true for motion control technology.

Zechieo

The name could be better tho. Project Natal will send shivers down many a blokes spine..

I like the interaction with the menu's, as well as the voice recognition - but not so sure about the jumping around etc... how big would my living room have to be !

That some are opposed to development of this is beyond me. While I agree it probably wont be perfect and have its bugs. It is finally the next step in the right direction of personal home technology. The possibilities are endless and just think what the next step from this could be? I mean Lionheads Milo which uses Project Natals hardware to interact with people is amazing. The coming years imo look very exciting indeed for all of us.

I'm with Relic on this one... you guys are nuts for tossing this innovation aside and calling it gay/lame/or otherwise. How many years/decades have people been wishing/hoping to be able to become more involved with video games, jumping into the experience ala virtual reality, etc. This is a big step in innovation (as was the Wii), and I personally can't wait to see the software that will be available for this. I also can't wait to see the next generation hardware units for this, as I can only imagine things will get better.

Silliest people in the world, you can't just quote a new invention like that, unless you tried it, and you know whats going to be planed for it...Unless your a PS3 Fanboy, but then again PS3 is going the same direction. SO HUSH KID's

I think that depth perception (and other simmilar aspects) will be hard to get used to without any tactile feedback for the user.

Then again I suspect that it may not have games that require tactile feedback. OOooohhhhh look I get to play as a shiny bouncing pig.

*Gets bored, grabs controller, starts shooting zombies!*

the violent,fighting and killing games will be great with this technology,
i wish to have one with those games,how the crysis would be?? i think it would be great
and how about the strategy games like c&c games,or guitar hero games(be a drumer)
maybe thats the best thing that people will have(extreme realistic)
but if they will make sex games;-)))) what would happen??>>sorry guys (just imagination)
wish you more advance microsoft & xbox guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back