Microsoft Vulnerability Research discovers two Chrome flaws

By Neowin
Apr 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft's Vulnerability Research program, started on Tuesday, April 19th, has begun its work with two exploits in Google's Chrome internet browser. The two bugs Microsoft discovered have since been reportedly fixed. According to Google, the bugs disclose by Microsoft are 'quite old', and were fixed by the end of last year. The specific issues Microsoft drew attention to were code-named MSVR11-001 and MSVR11-002. As Network World reports, these bugs are known for the following reasons:

Read the whole story
  2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Not to to sound grumpy or anything, but why publish this if these issues were already fixed? Chrome is very secure, but not invulnerable; that's a given with pretty much any software. How is this any different than publishing an article about 2 bugs Microsoft found in Firefox, which have been fixed a year ago, for example? In that example, and in this case, I just don't see the... how should I put it? Well, relevance.
  3. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TechSpot Maniac Posts: 481   +8

Now let's talk about IE...
  4. example1013

example1013 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 280

So bugs from 2 release cycles ago make news...?
  5. Are they aware this will eventually backfire at them?

Nonetheless, fair competition is always welcome and will benefit everyone in the end.
  6. dunebeetle

dunebeetle Newcomer, in training

This news article makes me think I'm reading a tabloid...
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,408   +835

You are reading a tabloid, electronically! ;)
  8. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 942   +42

I think the point is that both exploits were reported as fixed but MVR is saying they are working with the exploits *now*, not that they are messing with exploits from old builds (as doing so is more or less pointless since chrome auto-updates all the time). But there is a bit to be desired regarding the explaination of what they're actually saying.
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,408   +835

If if serves no other purpose, it lets people know that flaws were actually found. M$ is good about the open remediation of its vulnerabilities. Other business models may vary, such as fixing flaws, and not telling users they were ever there.
  10. Saturday

Saturday Newcomer, in training

The fact that Microsoft is willing to spend time looking into exploits on a competitors browser, while still having one of the most easily exploitable browsers of their own, is pretty sad.
  11. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 388   +34

How about fixing your own software first Microsoft?

12. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,035   +70

@Captain
    Exactly, you said 'others' but I always suspect Google 'silently' patches up its baby, and tell us 'it has released a new version' ...... how convenient !

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.