Microsoft wants Xbox to be the entertainment hub for all your devices

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In a pre-E3 pep talk, Microsoft highlighted the Xbox 360's ongoing success and teased some plans to keep its momentum rolling. The company has sold 67 million units since the console launched in 2005, generating over $56 billion at retail and earning Microsoft a 47% share of the current-generation console market. An increasing number of Xbox 360s are sold each year and that trend is expected to continue in 2012.

xbox box

Microsoft says much of its recent sales have been fueled by Kinect (19 million sold), but it also attributes sales to improved entertainment options on Xbox Live (40 million members). As with Sony, Microsoft is putting forth a considerable effort to position the Xbox as a full-fledged entertainment hub instead of strictly a game console. Just yesterday, Xbox Live users gained access to Amazon's Instant Video streaming service.

Live subscribers spend an average of 84 hours per month playing games, watching videos and listening to music, a 30% increase on-year. Currently, that's only possible through the Xbox 360, but Microsoft wants to go "beyond the box" by pushing Xbox as an entertainment hub for all your devices, including your PC, tablet and smartphone -- a plan that may come to fruition this year with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

"We understand that entertainment has become a multi-screen experience where you and your friends are watching TV, listening to music, and playing games while interacting with your tablets and phones in new ways. We've got ideas for making all the entertainment you love more personal, interactive and social across the devices you love -- and on the phenomenal Windows 8 devices that are to come," the company wrote.

Unfortunately, that's all Microsoft is saying until its E3 event begins next Monday, June 4 at 9:30AM PT. Being a press-only conference, you likely can't attend in person, but you can tune in on live television through Spike TV, as well as online via Xbox.com or Xbox Live. It's also worth noting that Microsoft will deliver a keynote on a variety of Windows-related topics at Computex next Wednesday, June 6 at 2:00PM (11:00PM PT).

Permalink to story.

The fact that this 2005 console still sells for $249-299 with an annual Live fee shows how delusional console customers have become when it comes to technology and value. I bet MS could be selling this thing for 10 more years if they knew Sony wasn't around for PS4.

Mandatory Kinect integration for the next Xbox, yes, let's make it even more kiddie...

Can anyone else think what compute product still sells for $250-300 7 years after its launch. This think should have been $99-149 by now. Even using the most basic math $300 console + 2 years of Xbox Live fees is probably as much as PS4 will cost. That's as much as a GTX670 ffs.

All I got to say to Microsoft is if you want to serve all my entertainment needs, then you better learn how to stream .mkv's. Not being able to annoys me to no end.

Xbox wants to be the entertainment hub? They said this in 2005 when the xbox came out. They're gonna pull it off now with Win 8?

I completely agree about the MKV files. The console needs to be able to stream all popular media content. I had to use a 3rd party transcoding app (TVersity) to get mkv playback. I eventually went to Boxee and now currently use Plex. I don't need to transcode and have a great interface that keeps track of what I have watched and what's up next. The interface on the 360 is pretty ugly. It's quite childish compared to DIY home theater solutions.

<p>The fact that this 2005 console still sells for $249-299 with an annual Live fee shows how delusional console customers have become when it comes to technology and value. I bet MS could be selling this thing for 10 more years if they knew Sony wasn't around for PS4. </p>

I agree, it really suprises me that people haven't gotten bored with the eXcrementBox yet. Everyone always talks about how quickly technology moves but these consoles were old 4 years ago and I don't hear any of the consolites complaining about them. I guess they just don't know any better or they actually think that the gaming capiblities of the thing are still impressive... it would be funny if they weren't by sheer force of numbers holding back the entire gaming industry while devs continue to aim games at a machine with about the same amount of processing power as a cell phone.

<p>The fact that this 2005 console still sells for $249-299 with an annual Live fee shows how delusional console customers have become when it comes to technology and value. I bet MS could be selling this thing for 10 more years if they knew Sony wasn't around for PS4. </p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>Mandatory Kinect integration for the next Xbox, yes, let's make it even more kiddie...</p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>Can anyone else think what compute product still sells for $250-300 7 years after its launch. This think should have been $99-149 by now. Even using the most basic math $300 console + 2 years of Xbox Live fees is probably as much as PS4 will cost. That's as much as a GTX670 ffs.</p>

The current 360 is both smaller and quieter than the previous versions. It also features five standard USB 2.0 ports (two more than previous models). A 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi[36] and a TOSLINK S/PDIF optical audio connector are also built-in. The hard drive bay is designed such that a specially formatted laptop hard drive may be loaded in. Other notable hardware changes include the use of one larger fan compared to the previous Xbox 360 models (which used two smaller ones) and the design of the vents.

+ The prices dropped. The 250GB was US$399.99. It is now US$299.99.

Source : Wikipedia

49343f48_PC_Gaming_Master_Race.jpeg

That is all.

spectrenad

"stop crying about the "outdated" technology. not everyone wants to buy a new console every f** year -.-'"

Uhh maybe you need to recap that thought, 7 yrs old is not a short time..

Also in the age of sega genesis etc there was a new one quite a bit more often if I recall sega master system then the genesis I think was only 3 yrs gap between those two even though the master system was still selling strong 10 yrs later.

TIP: because you dont want to upgrade does not mean there is not a massive consumer market awaiting to upgrade, if the console does what you want presently then stay with it the games will only get cheaper if a new one arrives so win - win for you. and win - win for the others who want to upgrade

Next you can justify a relaunch of the original ford Pinto with $300 worth of 'vast improvements'... it will add to the joke you just said.. or were you serious in thinking that those ' upgrades' are actually worth anything.. optical audio? welcome to my Laserdisc setup. Wifi? every $100 smartphone has that.. pretty sure any 'new' hardware that professes to be leading edge now uses USB 3.0. Larger HD, to DL all that zero day DLC that's already on the game disk. Not even going to respond tot he fan and vent 'upgrade', if was any other device it would have been a recall and class action lawsuit. But why bother when the average buyer of a 360 will just ***** on-line and buy a new one or wait 2 months for a repair, a repair that is literally a hair drier and a chip press.

360 was outdated by a generation already before it was built, how people justify it being relevant as a top shelf product now is well beyond me..

<p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>The current 360 is both smaller and quieter than the previous versions. It also features five standard USB 2.0 ports (two more than previous models). A 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi[36] and a TOSLINK S/PDIF optical audio connector are also built-in. The hard drive bay is designed such that a specially formatted laptop hard drive may be loaded in. Other notable hardware changes include the use of one larger fan compared to the previous Xbox 360 models (which used two smaller ones) and the design of the vents.</p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>+ The prices dropped. The 250GB was US$399.99. It is now US$299.99.</p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>Source : Wikipedia</p>

They probably didn't mention how bad the failure rate was on the first design.
It's one of the leading causes of thier console sales.

I went through 2 Xbox Elite's before I got my 360S:Reach LE console.
As far as the console itself, I like thier idea's but it's got a LONG ways to go before its more then just another console under my TV.

[FONT=Helvetica]spectrenad,[/FONT]

Using North American launch dates:

N64 = Sept 29, 1996
PS2 = Oct 26, 2000 (4 years later)
Xbox 360 = Nov 16, 2005 (5 years later)

In 9 years, the industry has moved from N64 to Xbox 360. That's innovative.

In 7 years, the industry has moved from Xbox 360 to Xbox 360.

All the things you listed are hardly improvements. Historically speaking, this is the longest, most overdue, and most outdated console generation in the last 15 years.

By the time the next Xbox launches, in the past we would have gone through 2 generations.

Because current consumes are happy buying 7-year-old hardware for $300, they are holding back progress. That's sad to me since when I was a console gamer, I looked forward to next generation of consoles and didn't cling to old tech like modern console gamers do. Since then I realized the current generation of console gamers are nothing like us from NES, SNES, PS1 and N64 and PS2 days, etc. Modern gamers just want the same COD style games with same crappy graphics from 2006 and they don't want change at all. When I was growing up, none of my friends thought like that. We always wanted the next best console and went out and bought it.

In my honest opinion, most of the hardcore console gamers from my era have abandoned consoles to the PC because we still desire innovation and only PC continues to deliver.

[FONT=Helvetica]spectrenad[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica],[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]Using North American launch dates:[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]N64 = Sept 29, 1996[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]PS2 = Oct 26, 2000 (4 years later)[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]Xbox 360 = Nov 16, 2005 (5 years later)[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]In 9 years, the industry has moved from N64 to Xbox 360. That's innovative.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]In 7 years, the industry has moved from Xbox 360 to Xbox 360.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]All the things you listed are hardly improvements. Historically speaking, this is the longest, most overdue, and most outdated console generation in the last 15 years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]By the time the next Xbox launches, in the past we would have gone through 2 generations.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]Because current consumes are happy buying 7-year-old hardware for $300, they are holding back progress. That's sad to me since when I was a console gamer, I looked forward to next generation of consoles and didn't cling to old tech like modern console gamers do. Since then I realized the current generation of console gamers are nothing like us from NES, SNES, PS1 and N64 and PS2 days, etc. Modern gamers just want the same COD style games with same crappy graphics from 2006 and they don't want change at all. When I was growing up, none of my friends thought like that. We always wanted the next best console and went out and bought it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]In my honest opinion, most of the hardcore console gamers from my era have abandoned consoles to the PC because we still desire innovation and only PC continues to deliver[/FONT]

Very Very well said. I started console gaming with the Atari, and later became a NES diehard. The Xbox and PS3 fustrated me so much that I went to PC gaming. The fact that microsoft wants 40-60$ per year to use thier online system is a bit much for me. Believe me It took me some time to realize this myself. PS3 pissed me off when they started taking away features of the cosole I actually used in order to punish pirates. PLus I didn't care for thier buggy PSN. The 360 will be the last console I buy, no more pre-ordering crap, and no more buying games at launch.

I'm amazed to see how the 360 still kicks *** when it comes to graphics. Of course most modern pc's are more powerful but it's a HUGE difference of price and maintenance imho.

Btw, I own a ps3 and a good pc...

<p><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica'"><span style="color: #000000"><a href="https://www.techspot.com/community/members/spectrenad.309907/" class="internalLink"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: #000000">spectrenad</span></span></a>,</span></span></span></span></p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>Using North American launch dates:</p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>N64 = Sept 29, 1996</p>
<p>PS2 = Oct 26, 2000 (4 years later)</p>
<p>Xbox 360 = Nov 16, 2005 (5 years later)</p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>In 9 years, the industry has moved from N64 to Xbox 360. That's innovative. </p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>In 7 years, the industry has moved from Xbox 360 to Xbox 360. </p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>All the things you listed are hardly improvements. Historically speaking, this is the longest, most overdue, and most outdated console generation in the last 15 years. </p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>By the time the next Xbox launches, in the past we would have gone through 2 generations.</p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>Because current consumes are happy buying 7-year-old hardware for $300, they are holding back progress. That's sad to me since when I was a console gamer, I looked forward to next generation of consoles and didn't cling to old tech like modern console gamers do. Since then I realized the current generation of console gamers are nothing like us from NES, SNES, PS1 and N64 and PS2 days, etc. Modern gamers just want the same COD style games with same crappy graphics from 2006 and they don't want change at all. When I was growing up, none of my friends thought like that. We always wanted the next best console and went out and bought it. </p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>In my honest opinion, most of the hardcore console gamers from my era have abandoned consoles to the PC because we still desire innovation and only PC continues to deliver.</p>
Hey, you just described me. Class of 2000 baby!

I dont WANT it to be my entertainment hub, thats what my PCs and stuff are for. All I want on a gaming console is to play games (primarily exclusives).

And I dont CARE what they do to xbox as long as it doesnt downgrade the GAME playing experience.

I just want to say this.
In the past, after a few years the devs would want new consoles to be able to do more with.
This time it hasn't quite happened like that.
A game engine, the amount of time a game takes to make, the amount of money a game takes to make, and the other resources involved in making a game have REALLY increased, and another console generation or something could lead to them being very difficult to make a solid profit.
A lot of gamers don't have a massive outcry for a new console.
Consoles might be a thing of the past at some point, but who knows.
We'll see how it all turns out.

It seems some people are hurt over something or a ps3/pc fanboi *sigh*

First of all, we don't live in a generation where having a console come out every few years is a viable thing to do, so stop complaining as if it should.
Secondly, you can't complain about the 360 without complaining about all of this generations consoles too. It takes away from your "argument" (this also stacks with my first point).
And lastly, PC will always be superior when it comes to [upgradable] power, but consoles will always be superior when it comes to typical convenience (if its playing a new game or playing online). So as a fellow PC gamer, stop sounding so ignorant.

Otherwise, whatever. If it can do all that, great. As long as it can game well I don't care. I have my PC for most of that stuff anyways :3

"We've got ideas for making all the entertainment you love more personal, interactive and social across the devices you love -- and on the phenomenal Windows 8 devices that are to come,"

..."the devices you love"

They're not really talking about competitors products are they?
I would be floored if they came out with an app that ran on idevices to integrate with the xbox. Not that I would ever buy an xbox, but kudos to them if they do.

And relating to the other discussion in this forum:
I've been waiting 3 years for an upgrade to my PS3.
(and I want it to be backwards compatible w/PS1/PS2/PS3, old cd/dvd drives don't last forever)

This is what the console have done to consumers it makes them lazy. Those "upgrades don't justify anything. The consoles represent the least amount of effort with HUGE profit margins thats it. Don't be fooled in thinking anything else.

How is the XBOX going to my entertainment anything when it doesn't play BLURAY? As a "entertainment" device I think it needs to support the highest quality disk format available.

In MS world I go down to my basement, turn on my 65 inch plasma, connected to my 7.1 receiver/speaker system, to watch the Dark Knight on DVD? MS still doesn't get it.

I[FONT=Helvetica]n MS world I go down to my basement, turn on my 65 inch plasma, connected to my 7.1 receiver/speaker system, to watch the Dark Knight on DVD? MS still doesn't get it.[/FONT]

Nope, in the MS world you would go down to your basement, turn on your 65 inch plasma, switch on your Xbox and buy the Dark Knight in HD to download/stream from their store. This way they make money.

Back