Microsoft working with partners to fix trackpad behavior in Windows 8.1, first round of...

By Jos
Jul 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is working towards fine tuning all aspects of Windows 8.1 ahead of release later this year. Despite its touch-centric nature, one area where the operating system hasn’t really shined is in its support of gestures across different laptop trackpads....

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

Updates are good, but providing compatibility with third-party programs is confusing for an OS, as it is usually done from the other end.
  3. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 304   +62

I think that might explain my issues with AVG when I updated to the preview. I'm glad they're fixing it though.
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Mac trackpads are the best. I love PCs more than macs, but the PC trackpads are just bad.
  5. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 304   +62

They are really good! I like the Samsung Series 9 trackpad about as much as a mac's, but the scrolling was always inoperable with Microsoft's programs. Hopefully this gets fixed!
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  6. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,926   +185

I can't tell you how pissed I got with the charms bar popping out at the most inoppertune times when I used my touchpad, this in Windows 8.1 preview.
    Thankfully the Synaptics interface allows to turn this "future" off!
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

I got Windows 8.1 with all the updates, then the latest Bootloader. And the trackpad on my 2011 Macbook Air works very well now.

Also updated Start8 to version 1.17 which supports Windows 8.1. The only problem I faced - BitDefender doesn't support Windows 8.1 yet, and it is not known when it will.
  8. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

They are definitely improving! The trackpads just need improvement on the OS side to be on par with OS X's (tutorials, responsiveness, etc).
    ReederOnTheRun likes this.