Microsoft XP sp2 help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear friends,
I just enrolled in this forum which looks like a big help.

I am using Dell Inspiron 2200 with o/s XP HOME sp2,

My laptop today, started acting crazy,
i seriously need some help,
The xp home boots normal, but upon showing the desktop after logon screen, the DESKTOP never loads the ICONS and its like blank screen with just a mouse which can be moved but still none of the right or left click neither the keyboard works.. All it appears is the background wall paper with NO icons at all neither task bar.

I tried into safe mode, but its the same with safe mode,,the "safe mode" word appears on the four corner of the screen, rest is blank..
I did system restore from safemode 3 times to earlier time but still it doesnt help.

I dont have a Win Xp Home Sp II cd cuz because the dell people never gave me one!

Any way i can recover?

Please Help

p.s. if you need extra information let me know :)

You could try creating a boot floppy, from which you can access the recovery console - but that's assuming you know some command line. It's all pretty basic, and there's a help command for those some-what confusing statements. In any case, it sounds to me like a corrupted explorer.exe error - you may want to do as I stated above and try a few commands like 'fixmbr' or 'fixboot'.

In the worse case senario, you could get Dell to send you a recovery CD; I'm not sure if they charge shipping or anything of that nature. On the other hand, you can contact a few friends to see if they have the system disk @ hand - then you can use the Windows XP serial code located somewhere on your Dell casing.

Anyways, good luck...

See if you can get a bootdisk from bootdisk.com.

Also, welcome to techspot:)

Regards,

Korrupt

Hmmm...

It seems to me that your shell doesn't load. Explorer shell, of course!
Not sure but that how it looks.
You tried starting the shell manually?

Peace out!

I Need More Help

Mr. Teknerd..thanks for your explanination but how am i suppose to load SHELL manually? i dont know how to do it...please let me know.

Mr. DesChut3s your explaninations is quite reasonable but where exactly am i suppose to punch in the fixmbr or fixboot? Sounds like i have to do it in Command prompt, now the command prompt i can accesss is from 'safe mode with command prompt' option
Hence, if there is any other idea about it please let me know.

I'll appriciate your reply...

To open the Explorer Shell manually, open Task Manager->File->Run->explorer.exe
If it does load properly, then it probably means something is wrong in your registry, which is preventing it from opening.

Mr. Teknerd..thanks for your explanination but how am i suppose to load SHELL manually? i dont know how to do it...please let me know.

Ah, well...how he said:

To open the Explorer Shell manually, open Task Manager->File->Run->explorer.exe
If it does load properly, then it probably means something is wrong in your registry, which is preventing it from opening.

Anywho, you may want to go to this key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
and see if there is a reg_sz value with the name shell and the value explorer.exe.

PS: i forgot to ask if u have a multiuser system. So, do you?

Hope it helps!

Peace out!

Additional help will suffice...

Upon doing Explorer.exe, it flashes and refreshes but doesnt open anything..
hence if registry is corrupted, what do u advice?

Does explorer.exe stay open, or does it close straight away? If it doesnt stay open, then from task manager->file->run, open cmd.exe, and then run sfc /scannow.
If explorer does stay open, then see tekNerd's advice about the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back