TechSpot

Microsoft's Courier detailed, might arrive by Christmas

By Matthew
Mar 5, 2010
  1. Although it was first exposed last September, Microsoft's Courier tablet device has mostly been shrouded in secrecy -- until now. Engadget has received a handful of details from an "extremely trusted source." According to the unnamed tipster, the Courier will serve as a "digital journal," and is engineered for ultimate portability.

Read the whole story

2. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Maniac Posts: 579

I wonder how good the Handwriting recognition is?

What if you are a Doctor?

3. ourboyblue

ourboyblue TS Rookie Posts: 19

<What if you are a Doctor?>

if your a doctor you don't care, you don't have to read it.

It looks nice, seems like a huge step up from apple's pad and phone os.

4. ourboyblue

ourboyblue TS Rookie Posts: 19

Oh, I forgot, yeah, I want one.

5. danteoz

danteoz TS Rookie Posts: 41

I wonder how much one will cost, i've been looking at different tablets,hopefully they will beat out Apple in price, since it could easily beat the OS

6. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 903   +52

Very impressive, I'd actually own one. Let's hope they release it world wide at launch and not US only. I'd own a HD Zune if they were available in Canada.

7. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

I hope it is compatible with a keyboard. As cool as writing on this device seems, it is much faster to type that url than that person took to write it.

Browsing would be too slow if it were handwritten.

8. theoscentral

theoscentral TS Rookie Posts: 17

Whoa, I like how the pages get smaller when you activate the search!!! Sweet!

9. thats it...? this is gona beat the ipad?......

10. All they have to do to beat ipad is make it more lifestyle enhancing then the ipad. Id much rather be able to use this as a fully functional comp downloading streaming ect. make it have all the things ipad lacks dont charge me 200$ extra to surf the web dont jail me to only microsoft products and last of all kick apples butt into the ground they have gone on to long unanswered......... go Microsoft!!!!

11. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +23

A giant Iphone, or a sweet courier tablet? Somehow I think this courier will be a sweeter piece of hardware. It will probably have a bigger hard drive and more ram because Apple hasn't figured out that these components are cheap. I saw this thing a while ago. I would buy one.

12. elroacho72

elroacho72 TS Rookie Posts: 124

Any thing but an ipad. I think Microsoft is answering Apple's Ipad quite nicely here.

13. windows 7 handwriting recognition is excellent , so if anything like that it will be awesome.

14. Very nice tablet! The best so far, very nice touch gestures.

15. Funny, and the PC in the background running XP + IE6?? :)

16. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,074   +100

It has a really cool interface, but it seems too focused on books. A more windows design would have been better.

17. megrawab

megrawab TS Rookie Posts: 93

This would be more useful for busy people so that they could carry their schedule with ease and mobility. The input method is gives less fatigue. Do you also have an update on Microsoft's project Gazelle? Present articles state that this browser project would surpass the performance of all other browsers in the present. :)

18. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

I hope this will crush the ipad into tiny pieces. The lack of freedom on apple mobile devices such as the ipod,iphone and ipad is astounding and jailbreaking is pretty much the only way to go.

19. I think its more of a digital notepad with internet access than anything else and well, I have yet to find a device which can possible be a good replacement as a pen and paper notepad.

The Ipad is more of a giant Ipod touch in my honest opinion.

20. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 TS Rookie Posts: 145

Priceton has got most of my thoughts covered, if this is executed right with great features, customization, self upgrade ability, a great app selection like Firefox's add-ons or the Apple store, and the right price the iPad will fall most definitely.

21. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 TS Rookie Posts: 60

Looks like a cool device. If the price is reasonable enough i would buy one in a heartbeat.

22. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Cool tablet, sweet features and nice gestures
    I hope the handwriting recognition is decent, it will have good connectivity options and a reasonable price..

23. pipopaz

pipopaz TS Rookie Posts: 70

Now thats is innovation! Hope I can get one this year.

24. jacob007

jacob007 TS Rookie Posts: 25

So, the real question is.....

Is 2 Big iPod touches better than 1 Big iPod Touch?

25. AfricanTech

AfricanTech TS Rookie Posts: 71

It looks very good - better than ipad - traditionally MS products attract good third party support. And it mimics a book for reading - i.e. two pages side by side - I mean when last have you read a book that is a single page!

Horrible music in the endgadget video though - I mean really, you could hardly hear the narrator.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.