TechSpot

Microsoft's first laptop ever: meet the Surface Book

By Julio Franco
Oct 6, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. cldmstrsn

cldmstrsn TS Booster Posts: 101   +51

Man that 1500 price tag is a little steep for me but goddamn that is a great looking laptop with the power to back it up.

The Chad likes this.
  2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 TS Booster Posts: 166   +41

16GB GDDR5 RAM ?

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

Not quite, read again ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    NightAngel79 likes this.
  4. Docus

Docus TS Rookie

Wow. This is the first laptop that I would want to buy despite its price tag, rather than choosing a budget machine for working on the go. I'm more of a desktop guy, but this machine seems worthy.

The Chad likes this.
  5. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

No USB-C?? Would be nice if it had that.
    Is that a thunderbolt connection? Not sure how one looks like.

H3llion likes this.
  6. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +710

The basic SB model is probably the first legitimate Macbook Air competitor Microsoft has produced..but their still not Apple so they can't expect much success at that price. And its big brother? For less money you could have a more powerful gaming laptop *and* either a large, top-end Android tablet or the latest iPad Air. Is the two-in-one factor really that compelling? I just don't see it.

7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 7,059   +646

Finished writing just now, sorry for the mistake or two in the process... Microsoft didn't publish final specs until about an hour after the presentation was done. Reload and read again :)

NightAngel79 likes this.
  8. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,557   +862

It is to me. This is literally everything I have ever wanted from a device. Ability to game and do serious work (although at a lesser level than a desktop workstation, obviously) on a more portable system. This replaces my laptop, tablet, and my desktop. I'll wait until I at least see the general consensus of reviews though I'll probably wait until the second generation anyway, but this is super exciting to me.

The Chad likes this.
  9. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

So basically, it's an XL surface pro, with the port replicator style cover so many of my friends wanted, with a battery slice AND a discreet GPU that takes over when "docked"? Hot damn, can't wait to see a review. =o

The Chad likes this.
  10. OortCloud

OortCloud TS Booster Posts: 119   +31

Looks awesome, I'm getting one. With specs like that it should keep me happy for years. Oh and the big brother nonsense is really tired.

11. darkzelda

darkzelda TS Addict Posts: 251   +86

I want it, it seems like the right device for a productive person who likes the power to do everything.

The Chad likes this.
  12. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 957   +273

Looks pretty good.... wonder if it will have a docking station for the enterprise market. I'm quite happy with my SP3. Windows 10 could still do with improvement though.

13. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Booster Posts: 200   +44

They showed the docking station hooked up to it

14. The pen is actually included!!
    (Unlike *cough* Apple)

The Chad likes this.
  15. Peter Farkas

Peter Farkas TS Addict Posts: 214   +67

lol
    on the other hand don't compare this with that apple crap... they are not in the same league. Ipad pro runs mobile OS, meaning it is a joke when it comes to productivity or enterprise usage...
    And don't forget that Apple calls it "Pencil"... not just pen... you know, they invented the "Pencil"... LMAO

Peace

The Chad, Techman3 and OneSpeed like this.
  16. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

why go thunderbolt? I would stick to the usb standard, than follow apple. bold move not to have the urge to follow them.

The Chad likes this.
  17. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

ipad air will not play games like this machine with the nvidia chip. no comparison. now, about the price...

18. cartera

cartera TS Addict Posts: 296   +78

Ooooooooooooooo.... I like :)

the detachable GPU is interesting, gaming laptop owners have been screaming for a universal one of these for years. One step closer.

The Chad likes this.
  19. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 TS Booster Posts: 166   +41

Woah... I think I imagined it ;)

20. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,195   +589

The detachable GPU is the best part about this. Now people can finally have a device that fulfills the needs of a laptop and a tablet without making battery life sacrifices.

I think this could only be the start too. What if the detachable interlink was standardized so that OEMs could sell the base and screen parts separately? This would give laptops that customization appeal that desktops have, to a certain degree at least.

madboyv1, spectrenad and ikesmasher like this.
  21. DeWeller

DeWeller TS Rookie Posts: 21

Looks nice, but how it works - that's the question :)

22. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,507   +2,055

I was watching those shills from M$ brag about it on stage during their presentation and honestly, I like it but next years offering will be better still.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  23. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,507   +2,055

It works just like any other Windows laptop you've ever seen or used except this one has a detachable display and can be used like any of their Surface tablets. Does that answer your question?

24. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,511   +503

Hahaha it seems like you don't Surface too much. Whole corporation runs on those and are A-mazing.