Microsoft's Redstone update coming in June and October 2016

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft hasn't even released Windows 10 to the general public yet, and the company is already talking about updates. According to a report from Neowin, Microsoft is preparing a series of updates codenamed 'Redstone' that will hit various devices in June and October 2016.

Like with Windows 10 itself, Redstone updates will be delivered to Windows Insiders ahead of their final release, giving enthusiasts a chance to trial the changes and notify Microsoft of any issues.

Microsoft isn't saying what features will be included in Redstone updates, as they build upon what Microsoft will deliver in Windows 10. The company is now hard at work fixing bugs and polishing features for the Windows 10 release, so any extra functionality that was planned, but didn't make it to the final release, will likely end up in Redstone.

It's also worth mentioning that Redstone is not the next version of Windows, but instead an update in the same mold as Windows 8.1 (codenamed 'Blue'). Redstone will target a whole range of devices and products, including Xbox, Surface Hub, HoloLens, Band, Office and smartphones.

In the meantime, Microsoft will release monthly updates to Windows 10 that include bug fixes, minor tweaks and small additions. The operating system is set to be released to the general public this summer.

Permalink to story.

Please don't pull a, "it's windows 8... now it's windows 8.1"

Make it Windows 10, update windows 10, and when that is done have windows 11.

That would conform with the whole windows thing..

Wow, such old software I would have thought they gave this up for better cleaner smaller code written for todays hardware devices yet they reuse the same bloatware and cram it into tiny devices that squeal and cry their way to 100% max cpu everytime you load an app. Windows 10 fixes the compatibility problems by just deleting your programs that are not compatible. Now that none of my programs work and the hardware runs like it was made in the 80's, paying money for this would seem pointless.

No, because its not a new operating system, just a big update. Windows 8 and 8.1 was just an update, Windows 10 is a new operating system

Wow, such old software I would have thought they gave this up for better cleaner smaller code written for todays hardware devices yet they reuse the same bloatware and cram it into tiny devices that squeal and cry their way to 100% max cpu everytime you load an app. Windows 10 fixes the compatibility problems by just deleting your programs that are not compatible. Now that none of my programs work and the hardware runs like it was made in the 80's, paying money for this would seem pointless.

wat

There was a time when version numbers had a technical meaning - now they're just advertising.
No, Windows 10 is not a new OS, whatever MS tries to tell you. It's just what Windows 7.1 (or, if you prefer 7.5) should have been. Windows 8 should never have happened. (And let's face it: Windows 7 should just have been a service pack to Vista.)

Marketeers: loathe them or leave them, you're not allowed to hit them with a shovel.

Meh, I'd rather they stuck with "Service Pack 1". Or maybe "Feature Pack 1".

Windows 10.1 and Windows 11 seems a bit weird if they do name it like that. I found it also confused the average Joe when their computer said "8.1" at first, I even had a call as someone thought a virus had taken over it!

wat x2

If it only made sense...

So anyone names software like 100.02.13-b2.1 and nobody bats an eye, Microsoft puts a .1 and everybody looses their minds

Windows 10 or Windows 11 New Operating System but if they do that best remove all the old apps included with all the OS Versions of Windows 3.1 to now. Looks with each new update or full versions of the OS they always still have the old code program lurking within.

They should call Windows 10/11 - Microsoft Windows Now! (Now meaning current generation of Intel and AMD APU Chipsets)

Seems confusing to me - or is that "marketing"..

I will probably get at least one copy, but if it doesn't run the software I want then I will look elsewhere.

No, because its not a new operating system, just a big update. Windows 8 and 8.1 was just an update, Windows 10 is a new operating system

He's saying don't go calling the major "Redstone" update Windows 10.1 --- and I agree.

Is this a term stolen from their Minecraft game? Seems that Microsoft is all about games in their development titles! "Cortana" is an AI character from Halo. "Spartan" is the hero from Halo. And "Redstone" is the crafting item which transmits power.

Is this a term stolen from their Minecraft game? Seems that Microsoft is all about games in their development titles! "Cortana" is an AI character from Halo. "Spartan" is the hero from Halo. And "Redstone" is the crafting item which transmits power.
You fogot that Windows 10 is codenamed "Threshold", which is also in HALO.

Back