TechSpot

Microsoft's Windows XP countdown gadget doesn't work on XP

By Emil
Apr 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft this week released the Windows XP End Of Support Countdown Gadget. You can grab the 50KB bugger from the Microsoft Download Center.

Read the whole story

2. Does have some slight use as IT that is using 7, but supports clients who use XP.

3. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

As useless like the Picture Puzzle, keep it up Microsoft.

4. ... as Buzz used to say... XP to infinity ... and beyond !!!
    ;)

5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

It would be useful to us... as a reminder we need to get some 100 PCs off of XP, and we are talking about a financial institution...

6. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 911   +22

My college still uses XP on all of its computers. The college is called COD, like the game. Business seems to just go with the OS that came with the computer.

7. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

If this is a mistake, it's ridiculous o.o.

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I have several file servers using XP, a couple with propitiatory software that doesn't work on later versions... so this gadget would just stress me out.

9. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

Can't help it Microsoft....,but all I would say is LOL!!...:D

10. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

I suspect this is targeted at Corporate customers for two reasons, i) all new PCs now come with Win7, ii) they are running majority of XP machines.

11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,306   +100

Well until 2014 is a lot of time anyhow

12. I suspect it was posted at the writers of XP rootkits

13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,811   +920

Well, either that, or disconnect them from the internet.

All this nonsense about countdown to end of support for XP, doesn't mean squat, if you can't install Win 7 due to drivers issues. So, that's sort of a tacit way M$ is asking you, "would you mind buying a 100 new computers"?

The interesting thing is Window 7 is more secure than XP, "natively". However, aftermarket security levels the play field quite a bit. Well, nothing would help IE-6 save for buying off the malware publishers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.