TechSpot

Minecraft creator explains why the game isn't on Steam

By Shawn Knight
Aug 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson was asked at PAX last weekend why his game wasn’t available on Steam in order to reach a wider audience. Upon returning home from theā€¦

Read the whole story

2. You buy Dirt 3 DLC in game from the Microsoft store, so I don't see how the creators see Steam as a roadblock in that regard. Even Global Agenda and many other free to play games have purchasing systems in place where items are purchased from the dev website. This proves anyone can create a DLC based game using Steam where purchases are possible outside of Steam.

3. SkyFall

SkyFall TS Rookie

So why not something like Desura instead?
    Or perhaps Notch just likes it the way it is right now.

4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

I agree with Notch. I didn't like the idea of Minecraft on Steam either.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

That's true the DLCs that came with Dragon Age had to be activated on the website IIRC.

6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

Same with Mass effect, I had to go online to the EA website to activate the DLC. I really don't see the problem with this...

7. Bullshit. There are MMOs on Steam that are also sold through other channels. They use Steam to distribute a copy of the client, nothing more. Any in game item sales use their normal methods.

He may have a reason for not wanting to use Steam, but this explanation falls on its face.

8. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,724   +63

steam=home owners association

9. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Translation: I want to nickle and dime the userbase.

10. Eddo22

Eddo22 TS Enthusiast Posts: 162   +6

11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,443   +124

Ok let me put it this way... Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam.

Go google it and the issues it has had on steam.

12. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,443   +124

Although Notch, you could easily sell a serial key to activate the account on the site, pretty much as eve online does and not needing to have the game on steam to play it.

13. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,172   +37

I like this! There is a lot of truth to what you speak. Steam is not the end all-be all as some Steamaholics want you to believe.

14. Notch has his reasons and I'll follow him blindly.

15. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 467   +85

Same reason BF3 isnt on steam.

16. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

You mean this reason?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.