TechSpot

Minecraft creator Markus 'Notch' Persson wanted to create a Valve, not work at Valve

By Shawn Knight
Dec 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It’s sometimes interesting to take a look back and realize how a single decision could have had a drastic impact on something today. Such is the case with Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson who was offered a job with Valve...

Read more

2. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TS Booster Posts: 147   +19

Inspiring story.

3. fteumer

fteumer TS Rookie Posts: 16

hardly, he could've had his cake and eaten it too.

I doubt he'll ever have a big project come out that isn't some addendum to minecraft.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,093   +1,520

I've heard stories, that Indie projects need more time than full-time jobs allow. I'm sure he realized this or he would have taken the job. And if he had taken the job, I could plainly see Valve trying to take credit for anything he might have done.

5. WithoutAnyMilk

WithoutAnyMilk TS Rookie Posts: 28   +10

Indeed. I have nothing but respect for people who are willing to take risks to follow their dreams, especially now that Notch has a huge head-start on whatever those dreams may be. I say best of luck to him for not compromising himself or his creative liberty in exchange for a guaranteed salary.

Job security and fiat paper promissory notes do not make a man, anyway - they're just debt. Knowing that he has done precisely what he set out to do while enriching the lives of others; now that makes a man.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.