TechSpot

Minecraft creator Markus 'Notch' Persson wanted to create a Valve, not work at Valve

By Shawn Knight
Dec 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It’s sometimes interesting to take a look back and realize how a single decision could have had a drastic impact on something today. Such is the case with Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson who was offered a job with Valve...

Read more

2. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TS Booster Posts: 128   +19

Inspiring story.

3. fteumer

fteumer TS Rookie Posts: 16

hardly, he could've had his cake and eaten it too.

I doubt he'll ever have a big project come out that isn't some addendum to minecraft.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,820

I've heard stories, that Indie projects need more time than full-time jobs allow. I'm sure he realized this or he would have taken the job. And if he had taken the job, I could plainly see Valve trying to take credit for anything he might have done.

5. WithoutAnyMilk

WithoutAnyMilk TS Enthusiast Posts: 29   +10

Indeed. I have nothing but respect for people who are willing to take risks to follow their dreams, especially now that Notch has a huge head-start on whatever those dreams may be. I say best of luck to him for not compromising himself or his creative liberty in exchange for a guaranteed salary.

Job security and fiat paper promissory notes do not make a man, anyway - they're just debt. Knowing that he has done precisely what he set out to do while enriching the lives of others; now that makes a man.