Minidump analysis for random crashes please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, First post here,
I have a self build that has started crashing with BSOD's at random times with no particular thing that im doing at the time.
The system is about 11 months old although some parts. like the GFX and PSU are only 4 months old.
There seems to be no correlation to any hardware changes.
My specs are entered in my profile but it did'nt ask for my PSU, its a Corsair HX 520.
I have read & followed the sticky about Minidumps with no success, I thought it was down to a Hauppage Satellite tuner card but that was taken out as part of fault finding two days ago but i got a crash last night which is my latest dump file.
I also re-loaded windows about two weeks ago, no change.
I imaged that OS installation to a brand new HDD, No change.
My CPU and North bridge temps are reported as 30 to 32 Degrees C at idle and do not go over 40 playing back Bluray or gaming.
Not sure what else you need but here are my dumps
Much appreciated, thank you for looking.

minidump 111308-01, minidump 111608-01(with a bugcheck of 0x4E)
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x24
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Possible solution

you will want to run memtest on your RAM, it can be gotten from www.memtest.org Get the iso version and burn it to a CD with your favorite burning software then with the disc in the drive restart your computer...make sure your computer is set to boot the cd drive first so the cd will boot and work. Let it run for a minimum of 7 passes. Note: There are several tests performed per pass.

Also check for updates to you motherboards drivers here http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P5N-E SLI&SLanguage=en-us

You may also want to run the manufacturers diagnostics tool on your hard disks.

One possible cause of this bug check (0x24) is disk corruption. Corruption in the NTFS file system or bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk can induce this error. Corrupted SCSI and IDE drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, thus causing the error.

To resolve a disk corruption problem: Check Event Viewer for error messages from SCSI and FASTFAT (System Log) or Autochk (Application Log) that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. You should also run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer. Run Chkdsk /f /r on your hard disks to detect and resolve any file system structural corruption. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition.

Minidump 111908-01
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E
Probably caused by: nv4_disp.dll

The driver nv4_disp.dll is associated with your nvidia graphics card

Possible solution:

Download driver cleaner pro from http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745 install it, go here and read over this thread http://www.driverheaven.net/windows...stalling-installing-ati-drivers-properly.html ..print it out if you need to have reference material. The guide is for ATI drivers, just replace ATI with nvidia in your case. One option that the guide doesn't mention a lot about is the cab cleaner feature. Once you have cleaned the drivers in safe mode, on the driver cleaner window click tools--->cab cleaner and clean driver.cab and then clean SP*.cab (Note * is a wild card for the current service pack you have installed)

After that has finished, rstart your computer normally then download the latest drivers from the manufacturers website and install them

After doing the above stated, please post back and let us know if the issue has been resolved or not.

Hi and thanks for looking at my problem,
My original RAM was OCZ platinum Rev2 4-4-4-12 (2 x 1 gig sticks). This passed several runs of Memtest during my fault finding.
To Rule out RAM I bought some standard kingston Ram (2 x 1 gig sticks) from the Asus QVL list. Even though my tests on OCZ had all passed. I did reset bios timings for the new RAM.

My OS was re-installed from fresh about two weeks ago including SP3. This was also part of fault finding.

To rule out HDD, even though I had ran Checkdisk and Hitachi disk utilities on the original with no errors identified, i bought a new one and imaged the OS to the new one a couple of days ago.

I have checked the ASUS website chipset drivers for updates and they are the same version number as on my MOBO cd-rom.

None of the above has changed my random BSOD's with random error messages.

I have now gone back to the nvidia driver supplied with the Card on CD using add/remove programs, but, the latest nividia drivers were running on top of my clean OS install.

Today I have found info on ASUS website forums that the latest BIOS for P5N-E SLI (BIOS 1301) was brought out to reslove issues with Nvidia 8800 series cards.
Im going to flash my Bios with that tonight and try that.

Update:

I updated my BIOS to the latest. The system was stable for four days then a BSOD stating PFN_List_Corrupt shortly after the desktop had finished loading up.
Stop 0x0000004E

I've had this error before amongst all the other random errors.

One new condition occured at the time I booted it up though.
I was not intentionally listening but I dont believe i heard the post beep and although i could hear the hardware running the monitor did dot awaken from standby. There was also a ticking noise which sounded like a fan blade catching something but that stopped after 20 seconds or so.
I switched off, it posted fine second time, no ticking sound but after the desktop was up i had the BSOD i mentioned above.

I have heard that ticking sound before on initial start up from cold and tried to narrow it down. I checked the side case fan, the CPU HSF, the Rear exhaust fan and the GFX card fan. I could not see any problems, fouling nor could i repeat the sound.
The primary HDD is new, that only leaves the large fan on the underside of the PSU that I cannot get to or a fan in either my DVD RW or Bluray drive.

Im starting to suspect either my GFX card (Gigabyte GV-NX88T512HP with the Type B Zalman Heatsink fan)
Or my PSU (Corsair HX520)
Neither of these is more than 6 months old.

What do you guys think?
Its getting expensive territory now considering i have already replaced the RAM and proved there was nothing wrong with the old RAM and replaced my primary HDD in trying to resolve these random bsod and stop error codes.

Got another PSU you could try?

Is there a hardware monitor in your BIOS where you could check the temps immediately after a crash to see if they are high?

Are your slots arranged so that the graphics card has plenty of room to circulate air?

Hi, thanks for your reply,
I only have a bog standard cheapo 450Watt PSU I could try but I dont imagine it has the Balls (or the amps on the12V rail) for the 8800GT. It was the original PSU I started with on this build but upgraded the PSU with the GFX card.
It does not have the 4 pin power connector for the GFX card either.

I cannot monitor the GPU temps but the CPU and Mobo temps are reported at around 30-35 degrees C at idle.
The system does not need to be under stress to BSOD.

The GFX card has plenty of room around it and a 120mm AKASA side case fan blows directly in the cards path and in the direction of the Northbridge/CPU area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back