Minnesota burglars are using Wi-Fi jammers to disable home security systems

midian182

Staff member
In brief: In another story that illustrates the increasing tech-savviness of thieves, police in Minnesota say burglars have been using Wi-Fi jammers to temporarily disable homeowners' connected security systems. The perpetrators are believed to have used the technique in nine robberies over the last six months.

Police in Edina, Minnesota, said that the string of burglaries over the past half a year doesn't involve victims who are chosen at random; instead, the criminals are watching homes in affluent neighborhoods and entering when they are unoccupied to avoid confrontations.

What's interesting about this case is that those behind the robberies are using Wi-Fi jammers to knock out the homes' security systems, such as surveillance cameras. Once inside, they steal safes, jewelry, and other high-end luxury items.

Cyber security expert Mark Lanterman told KARE11 that jammers don't block signals, but overload the wireless networks so the real traffic cannot get through to the devices.

As per the FCC, federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment that interferes with authorized radio communications, including cellular and personal communication services, police radar, and global positioning systems. There are no exemptions for use within a business, classroom, residence, or vehicle, and local law enforcement agencies do not have independent authority to use jamming equipment.

But the Wi-Fi jammers can still be purchased online from outside the United States for between $40 and $1,000. There have been cases of these devices being used to circumvent connected home security systems, such as Ring video doorbells, for a few years now.

Some of the suggested ways to mitigate the risks posed by Wi-Fi jammer burglaries include using a hardline camera inside/outside your home that connects directly to local storage. It's also advised that people install security alarms and lights that don't rely on wireless networks. And given that these burglaries took place when the houses were empty, leaving lights or the TV on might make your home a less appealing target.

H/t: Tom's Hardware

Permalink to story.

Hardline is always superior to wireless.
True I recall my previous home's wireless system did have a whine that alerted you if there was a loss in signal. It was not connected to the home network but an lte to central station and each unit had a direct connection to the HUB.
My current home already came with a wired security system. I was going to use the Ring retrofit kit, but I believe it has a wireless vulnerability from the looks of it.

Thanks for the article.

It doesn't matter what kind of security you have. If someone wants in, they'll find a way. Sure, some security methods may help deter burglars more than others, but no home system is going to be 100% secure.
True story, the wireless system that I had in my previous home did somehow spook a Bulger away by the sheer sound of the alarm that went off when the perp broke a back door open with a Crowbar. When I got home everything was still intact. Thank goodness. Maybe it was amateur hour to my favor.

I agree, if a bulgur wants your goods there is little you can do. I have seen plenty of video feed where business have Gates pulled by vehicle with tow capabilities and a group just running in grabbing merchandise and running away. Also bulgurs breaking walls in next door neighboring business and or from the room and ceiling mission impossible style.

True story, the wireless system that I had in my previous home did somehow spook a Bulger away by the sheer sound of the alarm that went off when the perp broke a back door open with a Crowbar. When I got home everything was still intact. Thank goodness. Maybe it was amateur hour to my favor.

I agree, if a bulgur wants your goods there is little you can do. I have seen plenty of video feed where business have Gates pulled by vehicle with tow capabilities and a group just running in grabbing merchandise and running away. Also bulgurs breaking walls in next door neighboring business and or from the room and ceiling mission impossible style.
There is a business that my wife and I utilize from time to time. At one point during the forced lock downs from the stupid covid crap this business was broken into from an adjacent business - right through the wall to avoid the alarms on the doors and windows. After they took what they wanted, instead of just leaving the worthless piece ofshit burglars ransacked the place and destroyed equipment and even turned the water on to flood the business.

Even after insurance the sheer lack of downtime to rebuild nearly put them completely out of business.

Some people suck and aren't worth keeping in this world.

There is a business that my wife and I utilize from time to time. At one point during the forced lock downs from the stupid covid crap this business was broken into from an adjacent business - right through the wall to avoid the alarms on the doors and windows. After they took what they wanted, instead of just leaving the worthless piece ofshit burglars ransacked the place and destroyed equipment and even turned the water on to flood the business.

Even after insurance the sheer lack of downtime to rebuild nearly put them completely out of business.

Some people suck and aren't worth keeping in this world.
Reminds me of the wet bandits from Home Alone 1. Hopefully they get Karma!

I have two sets of security cameras in my house. both old and new cameras use wifi but the new one also has onboard memory card. not a problem when the router is down it will still record. I put both of them working in opposite sides so they both record what's going on from the two directions.

if you want more security, redundancy is key. now we've already got solar or battery powered surveillance cameras which could record to memory card for days without a charge. that combined with a separate hardwired surveillance camera will give you better protection than the average joe.

My current home already came with a wired security system. I was going to use the Ring retrofit kit, but I believe it has a wireless vulnerability from the looks of it.
IMO, any device designed for the IoT fad and using WiFi is a security hole in the network it is connected to. For most manufacturers, security is the last thing they consider if they consider security at all. Manufacturers of such devices are interested in only one thing, IMO, and that is making a profit off of the IoT fad; they could care less whether your home network gets hacked, your home gets robbed, or whether someone figures out how to get their device to mine crypto or become part of a zombie bot-net.

My home's network is wired and I would not have it any other way. I do have a WiFi thermostat, but I rarely connect it to my home network.

As far as "home security" goes, home security device manufacturers should, IMO, rename them "home insecurity systems." Yes, I realize you state you had an incident, but incidents, IMO, are few and far between. For you, it sounds like having the security system did nothing to prevent the perp from breaking in even though it scared the perp when it alarmed.

Just curious: Did you have some sort of signage outside of your house that said something like "This home is protected by so-and-so security system?"

IMO, any device designed for the IoT fad and using WiFi is a security hole in the network it is connected to. For most manufacturers, security is the last thing they consider if they consider security at all. Manufacturers of such devices are interested in only one thing, IMO, and that is making a profit off of the IoT fad; they could care less whether your home network gets hacked, your home gets robbed, or whether someone figures out how to get their device to mine crypto or become part of a zombie bot-net.

My home's network is wired and I would not have it any other way. I do have a WiFi thermostat, but I rarely connect it to my home network.

As far as "home security" goes, home security device manufacturers should, IMO, rename them "home insecurity systems." Yes, I realize you state you had an incident, but incidents, IMO, are few and far between. For you, it sounds like having the security system did nothing to prevent the perp from breaking in even though it scared the perp when it alarmed.

Just curious: Did you have some sort of signage outside of your house that said something like "This home is protected by so-and-so security system?"
No outside signs. It can be challenging and costly to make a wired system. For me it was practical in my previous home. Not sure if these things help with mitigation, like leaving on a light when not at home to perceive like someone is home. Motion lights, Doorbell Ring camera that states you are being recorded, wired surveillance cameras on the premises, closed off backyard ( which my previous home had non of these) and wired motion sensors at home,. I would argue even a decoy camera is better at mitigation that no visible cameras.

Not if a dedicated UPS is used exclusively for the security system.
If the UPS also powers the cams and if the UPS doesn't die after 20 minutes like most do under load. Also cutting the cable connection will prevent most security systems from connecting to the Internet. In other words, a wired system is still vulnerable.

If the UPS also powers the cams and if the UPS doesn't die after 20 minutes like most do under load. Also cutting the cable connection will prevent most security systems from connecting to the Internet. In other words, a wired system is still vulnerable.
My SimpliSafe outdoor cam has its own solar recharging battery, The base station has a similar battery, that is charged by an APC 1500 UPS (which also supplies the cable modem and wifi/ethernet router). Also, the Simplisafe base station has its own internal comms backup for loss of home cable comms/power with a dedicated Verizon SIM for communicating with their monitoring service, and providing other info via the cellular network to their app on my phone and my wife's.

That will have to do...

It doesn't matter what kind of security you have. If someone wants in, they'll find a way. Sure, some security methods may help deter burglars more than others, but no home system is going to be 100% secure.

Security Cameras don't stop people... it records them.

Jammer allows them to be unrecorded.

I knew a teacher that used one of these in her classroom over a decade ago when students were first allowed to have their phones in school. It was very effective

One sort of security device wouldn't suffer the shortcomings listed above.
A large unfriendly dog.

Security systems help. But good laws and functional police does better.
A crime ring selling huge amount of stolen items was caught some time ago.
And I wondered if giving people ability to steal things to resell those to that criminal amazon
helped that ring to function much easier with much higher profits.
Yes, that was California, the state that thinks people should not be punished seriously if they steal less than 900 in value. Besides, what's a $900? Thinks a rich Californian liberal. It is nothing compared to a life destroyed by judicial system for such tiny sum. They see these laws as life saving measures paid by a very small price (paid by ordinary people) for saving lives and showing humanity worthy of our society.
All anti theft measures need to work together.
And unfortunately, bad laws help criminals much more than weak security systems.

Security systems help. But good laws and functional police does better.
A crime ring selling huge amount of stolen items was caught some time ago.
And I wondered if giving people ability to steal things to resell those to that criminal amazon
helped that ring to function much easier with much higher profits.
Yes, that was California, the state that thinks people should not be punished seriously if they steal less than 900 in value. Besides, what's a $900? Thinks a rich Californian liberal. It is nothing compared to a life destroyed by judicial system for such tiny sum. They see these laws as life saving measures paid by a very small price (paid by ordinary people) for saving lives and showing humanity worthy of our society.
All anti theft measures need to work together.
And unfortunately, bad laws help criminals much more than weak security systems.
I remember hearing stories that there are towns that are so safe they people don't even lock their doors. I wonder what's Minnesota's stance on 2a? Ah it all makes sense now. Some people are wondering if Marxism/fascism hybrid is coming. Seems like the beta testing phase is almost over.

Welcome to the world of countermeasures and counter-countermeasures. A wire is your best bet, but failing that get cams with some internal storage and place a couple so they can see the car in the street doing the jamming. If all your cams have internal storage they should still capture the scene even if they don't upload it right away. Failing getting wired cams, attach a cable so it looks like they are wired, it may deter them. Best I can come up with on the fly.

Back