Missing hard drive space after system restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

death

Hi;

I have Windows XP Pro. I installed "Call of Duty" on my computer this evening. It worked fine, but I was trying to find no cd key for this game on internet and somehow my internet stopped working. I wasn't paying attention to "NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2005" telling me to block few programs as I was on internet. I have DSL internet. Internet explore 6 browser. Anyways, I couldn't think of anything to make my internet work, so I "restored" my computer to earlier time (about 5 hours back). Now, the game "Call of duty" is gone from my computer and so is my 3.0 GB of disk space. I do have 80GB of hard drive (still left with 40GB), but I just want to know where that 3 GB went to. It just dissappeared.

Help me get it back..............if anybody have any Idea. Thank you guys.

It`s ok nothing to worry about just reinstall the game and it should be fine.

The missing space on your hdd is where the programme is even though you can`t use it without reinstalling it.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

I'm glad your problem is resolve - but in the future please label your thread titles discriptively. I've changed the title of this thread.

Missing Hard Drive?

I'm having a similar problem. I have a Dell E1505 with Windows XP. I had problems with my internet and Internet Explorer 6 one day, so I decided to use system restore. Now, I'm down to about 15.4 GB available to where I had over 36 before. Why's this?

I Actually believe that System restore sucks! it doesn't help by much, dissapear HDD storage and even the registry entries are still there, I have that same issue about HDD space, but couldn't fix it until reformat, and if the problem is solved when he reinstall the game, what if someone doesn't have the sofware anymore or dont want to install? any other options? I don't even think reformat is the best option, but what has worked on you guys?

rmdl51 said:
I Actually believe that System restore sucks! it doesn't help by much, dissapear HDD storage and even the registry entries are still there, I have that same issue about HDD space, but couldn't fix it until reformat, and if the problem is solved when he reinstall the game, what if someone doesn't have the sofware anymore or dont want to install? any other options? I don't even think reformat is the best option, but what has worked on you guys?

Do not be too harsh on Windows restore, it has help a lot of individuals get back up running quickly after a bad app or bug hit.The HDD space that seems to be missing is not gone.The files etc. that disappear can actually hold some very bad stuff.The older registry that gets loaded just cannot see these files.You can recapture all your space via command prompt and a couple simple tools, or as Howard suggested above.

:p i guess you are right, as an emergency recovery could help, but since i had so many problems in the past dealing with the HDD space and some errors poping up just after doing a restore point and manually have to clean the registry I believe I've waste a lot of time on this concern, that's why I try to avoid any system restore. I don't know that could be just me, but when your system goes crazy and don't know what to do, (specially the ones with no experience on computers) system restore could be heaven for them.
BTW, I would really appreciate if you could tell me how do you restore your lost HDD space without having to reformat, via command prompt? That’s interesting, never tried that way before. Well thanks! :wave:

I agree , there are better ways to recover from some disaster if you are Backed up with a repair program or system.

There are many things that can be done to regain lost items after a System restore and it depends on exactly what is missing after the restore. As I said earlier very often the" space is not missing " The space is just taken up by files that the System restore's new registry, cannot see.(The Case above).
Start a Command window before booting to windows and you will see directories not listed in Explorer.
You could Delete some obvious files right there. There are too many scenarios to go thru here , but I will also leave you this hotlink . It discusses other ways to deal with problems in system restore via command prompt
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back