missing mouse win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have looked everywhere I can find for info on this problem, I have a thinkpad laptop which was running win98 perfectly, I installed win2000 and lost my trackpoint mouse completely, I download the latest ibm driver for win2000/xp and it didn't work at all, then I upgraded to xp and the pointer is in the middle of the screen but don't move. nobody seems to have a clue of what caused this and I find win98 too ancient to use, is there another driver out there that I can use? thanks

Welcome to Techspot.
Since you downloaded the update for mouse drivers from IBM and they are the correct version for your hardware ,Right ?
Then you should stick with them.
Sometimes drivers don't get loaded correctly or the download file is corrupt.
Try a fresh downloaded file, and then uninstall the mouse in Device manager, Delete the files from recycle bin. Reboot and guide windows ( Don't let windows install by itself) to use the new file.

Welcome to TechSpot

romasweb said:
I have a thinkpad laptop which was running win98 perfectly, and I find win98 too ancient to use
Hmm... for any particular reason?

You know there is hardware 'designed for' certain versions of Windows. Sometimes it really means it won't work correctly in others.

missing mouse

Yes I have tried new installments and everything else that I can think of, maybe I should just be satisfied with win98 I guess, I thought that if ibm had a driver for the exact model that I have maybe I was doing something wrong. like maybe I had to change something in bios or that there may be another driver I could use to do the trick, thanks

romasweb said:
maybe I had to change something in bios or that there may be another driver I could use to do the trick, thanks
There could be, depends on your computer. It's been said many times that "Plug and Play" should be turned off in BIOS for Windows versions newer than 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back