Missing or corrupt System file...

By Dan Ledbetter
Jul 16, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Working on a XP Home PC for a friend. Child was playing a game and the screen went blank. Would not boot after that. Stops with the msg about missing or corrupt C:/Windows/System32/Config/System file. :blackeye:

Tried the "Windows XP recovery console - cannot load" thread of "01-01-2004 10:35 AM" response "You probably need to restore the registry" of "01-02-2004 05:06 PM" by ak_in_charge and now there is no message, but PC will not boot. Locks up after the initial screen. There is a full restore point, RP449, that should be available, but do not know how to get it restored. When I try "Last Known Good" boot, there is no effect. :(

Keep in mind that while the HDD was in the host XP Pro PC to do the work, ran virus search and found several hundred viruses and removed them. :suspiciou

Thanks for any assistance. :)
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

might try an OS repair install, otherwise you will likely be needing to do a clean install, which isn't a bad idea since you say you found and removed several virii.
  3. Mudshark

Mudshark Newcomer, in training Posts: 143

I don't know if this will help. but I have gotten a message which
    looks a lot like:
    "missing or corrupt C:/Windows/System32/Config/System file"
    During the boot process, while over clocking the system both
    while OC'ing the DDR and/or
    the CPU. Once the correct parameters are re-entered into the
    BIOS the "problem" goes away.

However, I second what StormBringer says about the clean
    re-install because of the number of vivri you found..... that can't
    be good.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

The error message you have recieved means your Windows registry is corrupted.

You don't have to do a clean install or even a repair (although that may be the easiest).

Rowdy6680 shared this information with us. I've used it a number of times in the past to fix your error as well, and it has worked nearly every time.

The link is the important inforamtion you'll need to check out.
  5. Dan Ledbetter

Dan Ledbetter Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

What about the Restore Point?

Guess I will do a clean install. Hard to believe that there is no way to get XP Home to recover back to a Restore Point.

Thanks for the help folks... :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.