Missing pixel shader + TF2 = Bad news bears

Status
Not open for further replies.

I GOT SERVED

So I bought Team Fortress 2, and everything has downloaded fine. The issue is that when I run the game, I get an error message saying that my "graphics hardware must support at least pixel shader version 1.1". However, I doubled checked my system against Steam's system requirements, and I forsaw no issues.

Here's my specs, straight off of a dxdiag run:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 555MB used, 692MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

The minimum requirements for Steam:
* 1.2 GHz Processor
* 256MB RAM
* DirectX 7 capable graphics card
* Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
* Mouse
* Keyboard
* Internet Connection

If you need info on video card, etc. just lemme know.

So I'm guessing you do not have a videocard?

A integrated videocard ( one that comes with the computer ) is not efficient enough to run TF2 or almost any new game that is coming out today, do you have a budget that will allow us to help you pick out a videocard?

So I'm guessing you do not have a videocard?

A integrated videocard ( one that comes with the computer ) is not efficient enough to run TF2 or almost any new game that is coming out today, do you have a budget that will allow us to help you pick out a videocard?

That depends. I haven't done any computer upgrading in quite some time. How much does a half-decent video card cost these days?

We would need more specs to answer that question such as motherboard model to know what graphics ports you can use ie AGP or PCI-E etc, how much wattage does your power supply have so we dont go over in terms of power or you may have to get a newer more powerful one if it's to low. also what price range are you looking at as that would help narrow down the options a bit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103167

So I talked with a local computer repair guy, and he suggested a Radeon 9250 card. Because this site won't let me post links yet, I put it up in the title for this post.

However, because I don't know very much about video cards (let alone buying stand alone computer parts), I'm still unconvinced for some unknown reason. Anybody know of anything else that'll work on my PCI slot at a reasonable cost?

Well, you really haven't told us what your wattage level on the powersupply is, open the side panel of your computer case and look at the sticker on the powersupply. Either take a picture for us or type everything it says.

Also, you could tell us what bus slot you have by looking at the rectangle extensions that look like these:

400px-AGP_PCI_PCIE_PCIEx1_Bus.jpg

AGP and PCI-e bus slots have latches on them that hold the videocard in place, AGP are usually brown on older motherboards.

Ok, the 9250 just plain won't do. I have one, I know, it will not even run CS:S very good, so yeah.

The PCI means your best bet would be (if you live somewhere in Europe) would be the 8500 or 8600 PCI versions, but if you live in the US then I'd go with the Geforce 6200 which is cheap and can run CS:S on High, sacrificing MSAA, etc., so it should run TF2 without any problems.

Your power supply is not the processor, so it isn't "3.00GHz", which is the speed of the processor. The power supply will be located in the top, left hand corner of the computer case, inside of course, and will have a sticker stating the specs. It will have a list of different volts 5v, 12v, etc. and will tell how many AMPS are given to that rail. If the power supply was, say 350 watts, its possible that it wouldn't run it as it may not have enough AMPS on the 12V rail.

Ok, the 9250 just plain won't do. I have one, I know, it will not even run CS:S very good, so yeah.

The PCI means your best bet would be (if you live somewhere in Europe) would be the 8500 or 8600 PCI versions, but if you live in the US then I'd go with the Geforce 6200 which is cheap and can run CS:S on High, sacrificing MSAA, etc., so it should run TF2 without any problems.

Your power supply is not the processor, so it isn't "3.00GHz", which is the speed of the processor. The power supply will be located in the top, left hand corner of the computer case, inside of course, and will have a sticker stating the specs. It will have a list of different volts 5v, 12v, etc. and will tell how many AMPS are given to that rail. If the power supply was, say 350 watts, its possible that it wouldn't run it as it may not have enough AMPS on the 12V rail.

Sorry about that first goof up with the processor. I'm not very computer literate, so to speak.

After poking around I found this out. I'm not sure how much of it is useful, and how much of it is junk, so I'll just post all of it:

AC input - 50-60Hz 100-127V~/6A
DC output - +5V=/22A +12V=/6A +3.3v/18A -12V=/1A

+5V and +3.3V shall not exceed 150W

Max output power: 250W

Ok, problem there. I just blew a 350 watt with about 8 amps on the 12 volt rail with a 6200, and you have 6. I would really recommend getting a new power supply that you can use now, and when you upgrade, and a graphics card. I can't really help a whole lot anymore, but I am sure someone will pick up from where I left off.

Ok, problem there. I just blew a 350 watt with about 8 amps on the 12 volt rail with a 6200, and you have 6. I would really recommend getting a new power supply that you can use now, and when you upgrade, and a graphics card. I can't really help a whole lot anymore, but I am sure someone will pick up from where I left off.

Thanks for you help anyways. Since the 6200 obviously isn't going to work for me, then should I just settle for the Radeon 9250? Or is there something else out there that's better but won't fry my computer?

Just so I know all of my options, let's say I didn't want a new PSU. What might be a step down from the 6200?

It's not that you don't want a new PSU, it's that you need one. Any videocard you install into your PCI slot will overload your PSU causing it to die and possibly taking other system components with it which will cause you to spend more money than just buying a new 500w powersupply.

The choice is yours to make up, not ours.

Well, since you put it that way...I suppose I'm between a rock and a hard place on this one. Anybody know how much a new PSU costs? Including having a repair guy install it?

Sorry for bludgeoning everyone with questions, but I'm a complete newbie at computer repairs.....

I'm not really good at picking out powersupplys that are on budgets, so you're going to have to wait for another person to post a good one for a cheap price.

I have a question though, why do you want to get a tech hook it up for you when you could do it yourself for free and gain the knowledge on how to do it?

I have a question though, why do you want to get a tech hook it up for you when you could do it yourself for free and gain the knowledge on how to do it?

The issue is that I'm worried that I'll just f**k up my computer even more. I'm not really one of those do-it-yourself kinda guys.

Also, I was poking around newegg for a cheap psu, and I found these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817192002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817255010

What do you think? Good/bad?

The issue is that I'm worried that I'll just f**k up my computer even more. I'm not really one of those do-it-yourself kinda guys.

It's actually really easy to install a powersupply, it's just like installing anything else that requires cables. If you ever plugged in a console like a Xbox 360 or a PS3 you'll pretty much get it, it's just aligning the cables with where they go. There are tutorials all over the place for installing hardware to a computer, plus if you do it yourself you can do the cable management yourself without having to get someone else to change it around.

-edit-

I'm not really good at picking low-level power supplies such as the one you need, but looking around for a low budget but really nice powersupply I came across this one: Antec Earthwatts, I wouldn't go and spend money just yet though, I'd wait for a second or third opinion before buying. Perhaps someone will stroll along and lend advice.

It's actually really easy to install a powersupply, it's just like installing anything else that requires cables. If you ever plugged in a console like a Xbox 360 or a PS3 you'll pretty much get it, it's just aligning the cables with where they go. There are tutorials all over the place for installing hardware to a computer, plus if you do it yourself you can do the cable management yourself without having to get someone else to change it around.

-edit-

I'm not really good at picking low-level power supplies such as the one you need, but looking around for a low budget but really nice powersupply I came across this one: Antec Earthwatts, I wouldn't go and spend money just yet though, I'd wait for a second or third opinion before buying. Perhaps someone will stroll along and lend advice.

Yeah, after poking around for a bit, it really doesn't look too hard to install...

And thanks for the suggestion on the PSU. I wasn't going to buy anyways until a few more people offered their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back