Mixing different RAM DIMMs

Tharbad

Hi,

I currently have 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800 from G.Skill (Part number: F26400CL5D-4GBNT) which no longer being sold here (I don't live in USA).

My motherboard is GA-M720-US3 Rev1.0

I want to upgrade to 8GB.

Any Guidelines? Is it OK to mix different voltages (My current is 1.8v and I can find onlt 2.1-2.2)? Different brand? Different CLs? Different MHz?

Thanks

It's actually easier to mix RAM that has different speeds, than different voltages.

For example, you could run 800Mhz and 667Mhz together,but the memory will then all run at the slower speed. (667).

"Generic" RAM mixes best. That is, DIMMs that exactly meet the spec for that type of memory. This is with respect to voltage and timing.

So, in direct answer to your question, you CANNOT mix voltages and timing, you can only mix speed.

Depending on the board and chipset, none of this is a given. So, there's an element of luck involved as well.

Which actually mean I should sell my current and buy a new 4x2GB new (Just to be on the safe side)?

Back in the early days of ram, mixing was not tolerated at all. Now, with newer technology, you are given some leeway as to what you can mix, but you will never get it to run as fast as you wold using the same modules.

Back