Mobile data cost rankings: the U.S. is one of the most expensive countries, Israel has...

DragonSlayer101

Staff
The big picture: The average cost of a gigabyte of mobile data in the U.S. is $6, while the most expensive data plan in the country offers a gig for $83.33. That makes the U.S. one of the most expensive countries in the world for mobile data, even though some plans can still get you a gig for as low as $0.75. The situation in Canada isn't much better, with an average price of $5.37 per GB, but it's much cheaper to surf mobile internet in the U.K., thanks to an average price of $0.62 for a gig.

The information comes from an interactive map published by British price comparison site Cable.co.uk, which gathered information about 5,603 mobile data plans from 237 countries this year to arrive at its conclusion. Per the report, Zimbabwe was the most expensive place in the world to buy mobile data, with one gigabyte costing an average of $43.75.

On the flip side, Israel emerged as the country with the cheapest mobile internet plans in the world, with an average cost of just $0.02 per GB. The cheapest plans in the country offer data for as low as $0.001 per GB, while even the most expensive plans still only cost just $0.22 per gigabyte. According to the report, Israel has a higher smartphone market penetration than the United States and multiple carriers offer extensive 4G and 5G network coverage.

Italy is the second best place in the world to surf the internet on-the-go, thanks to an average mobile data cost of just $0.09 per GB. The cheapest plans here offer data for just $0.03 per GB, while the most expensive plans offer data for $2.14 per gig. Once again, one of the key reasons for the cheap plans is competition, as a dozen or so carriers operate in the country, with 5G connectivity now available to around 95 percent of the population.

Besides Israel and Italy, other countries in the top 10 list in order of affordability include Fiji, San Marino, India, Pakistan, France, Colombia, all of whom get mobile data for $0.20 or less per GB on average. On the other hand, the most expensive countries to surf mobile internet include Zimbabwe, the Falkland Islands, Switzerland, Cayman Islands and Yemen.

Explaining the reasons for the discrepancy in pricing, researchers say that countries with world class telecom infrastructure and ubiquitous 4G and 5G networks typically have cheaper mobile data, while countries that have "overburdened infrastructure" and limited mobile data usage tend to have expensive prices. Wealthy countries with less-than-stellar wireless networks also have expensive data plans.

Permalink to story.

1st world problems
it's true but some states do offer a free phone and free internet for those who are income dependent as well as the fed offering migrants the something similar. Someone is definitely paying for that. I wonder if other hemispheres have such social programs and ips services that scale to 8 gigabit fiber options 🤔?

Last edited:
When cell phones started out...the voice plans were very expensive. Then, they added texting, and voice became cheaper, and SMS texting was very expensive (even though most texting rode on the back end of the cellular signal, pretty much costing the carrier nothing). Then data came along and voice, texting was "unlimited" but they charge for the data. Once something comes along to replace data, it will become cheaper as everyone milks the next cow, until it is a piece of beef jerky.
Plus, There are only a few carriers in the USA, which makes it expensive because of less competition.

Yes, we have cheap mobile rates in Italy... but bandwidth and connection are mostly crap :-D

Using the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot when my home broadband is down is simply horrendous...

Poor Zimbabweans.
Although, any country that punishes people for their race should end up
just like this country.

I have Xfinity (aka Comcast) internet, so I bundled my cell service with them. Verizon is the actual provider. It is unlimited voice and text of course, and they charge $15/month per gig of data usage.

That may not sound like much data, but considering that I am on wifi 95% of the time - everywhere I go, especially due to their city-wide wifi hotspot coverage- I rarely exceed 1GB a month.

Bottom line: my bill is normally $15/month, $30 on those rare occasions that I go over 1GB of data usage during my billing cycle. They also have an app that lets me see how much I've used in real time!

I was fortunate enough to get a plan back when Sprint was around that gives me unlimited data for $30/mo. It carried over to T-mobile (though who knows for how long), but it comes with limitations around hotspot and international data. But since the per-month rate is so cheap, I don't mind.

Still, with nobody having rates close to that these days (at least not that I could find), it does make it tricky if I ever wanted or needed extra features, coverage in different areas, etc.

Yes, we have cheap mobile rates in Italy... but bandwidth and connection are mostly crap :-D

Using the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot when my home broadband is down is simply horrendous...
Using the cell phone for a hotspot is extremely expensive. That is where mobile data costs the most and some carriers don't even allow for add on hotspot data without starting a new cycle entirely and therefore you lose all the remaining time you had left for data for the time that was remaining on the original cycle.

Last edited:
I have Xfinity (aka Comcast) internet, so I bundled my cell service with them. Verizon is the actual provider. It is unlimited voice and text of course, and they charge $15/month per gig of data usage.

That may not sound like much data, but considering that I am on wifi 95% of the time - everywhere I go, especially due to their city-wide wifi hotspot coverage- I rarely exceed 1GB a month.

Bottom line: my bill is normally $15/month, $30 on those rare occasions that I go over 1GB of data usage during my billing cycle. They also have an app that lets me see how much I've used in real time!
You rarely exceed the data, but Comcast exists to catch those poor suckers who go over it.
Not very long ago, I had to get internet at a new place urgently. Knowing it takes minutes to do it with comcast as the infrastructure is there and so was my old modem, I bought a new plan.
I went over data cap the next month, paid 30 bucks over, and then disconnected after.
They have a nerve calling people telling them they have better plans. There is no better with Comcast, there is only give me give me your money. They are natural predators with services set as land mines. Step n pay, step n pay.

it's true but some states do offer a free phone and free internet for those who are income dependent as well as the fed offering migrants the something similar. Someone is definitely paying for that. I wonder if other hemispheres have such social programs and ips services that scale to 8 gigabit fiber options 🤔?

Kind of like the taxpayers of the USA paying for the illegal border crossers getting gov't issued smartphones at no cost to them, only those of us that work and pay taxes.

Kind of like the taxpayers of the USA paying for the illegal border crossers getting gov't issued smartphones at no cost to them, only those of us that work and pay taxes.
Murphy's law states that anything that can go wrong will go wrong and anything that can be corrupted will be corrupted. Of course its always up to the honest tax payers to pay for it.

Pretty much all plans are unlimited in 2023, in all countries.
Bogus research.
I don't see how anyone can say this. Even so called unlimited plans always have data caps on hotspot data which must be replaced when the data runs out and some carriers make you buy into a new cycle to get new hotspot data and you lose the remaining time for calls and sms. Moreover, hotspot data is the most expensive part of your plan and the most any carrier will give is about maybe 20 gigs which is nothing to a real user.

As usual, these kinds of reports are bogus.
in my country, you can get a plan with unlimited data for 2.5$. UNLIMITED

Back