Mobo+ram help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadEC13

ok got a computer dumb question but how can you tell what kind of ram you have by just looking a it ???? i have a regular dimm card laying around and i would like to know if i can use it in my case but i have no idea what kind of ram it is......another Q if i do insert it and its not the right kind of ram will it not work or ruin my mobo or what? jus some Q's for you guys....:grinthumb

I dont think thats a dumb question at all, if not a very good one :)

I dont know how to tell what kind it is, other then the brand should be printed on the chips...

If you put the RAM into your mobo and your mobo doesnt support it, it shouldnt fry anything, just not work - ie: your system wont boot.

If the ram doesn't fit and you try to hammer it in there then yes, you've probably broken your mobo. Otherwise you're fine...yeah, like agissi said, look around for like a stick or writing on the chips or something to find a name.

k found a name AUG but haven't cheacked up on it found out by putting it in and turn on the comp and going through bios that it is a compatible type of ram such as SDram and 512MB of it ! YAY! but after i put it in my version of windows (98) would not load properly. It mostly said missing "VDAT" and i had to i guess install all the windows drivers or i guess enable them again but i took it out booted it up and it was totally fine....so im in the blue about this because i dont really have the money to get another comp but mine is so dang slow that i would really like to upgrade it. any suggestions will be nice ;)

Try to remove the memory from the first slot and replaced it with the memory you are currently talking about and let it run by itself. Check if its booting properly with the pc. Sometimes, memories of different manufacturers can't be mixed, they just disrupt a lot of things. If its not ok, the memory is faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back