Monitor is very dark, shows windows start up

By arjayem
Jun 12, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all
    Monitor shows windows start screen then goes dark I can see the images if i hold a light to the screen. so the monitor is on, just very dark.
    I have a two monitor set up and the main monitor works fine. when I switch the trouble monitor to primary it acts the same as it did as a secondary, and the monitor that is working fine still works as a secondary.
    Thanks for the help
    rj
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,383   +205

Sounds like the monitor itself is bad.
  3. arjayem

arjayem Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thats what i thought

Thanks for the reply mailpup,
    that is what I thought, but I just turned some startup stuff off in msconfig, and the monitor started working again. turned off hp something, yahoo messenger, open office however i installed open office after i began having problems with the monitor
    and probably something I can't remember. I could go back and turn everything back on one at a time to see if it has any effect but I don't want to take the chance it won't work again. Have you heard of any conflicts with duel monitor setup with some programs.
    Thanks again
    rj
  4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,383   +205

I haven't heard of any conflicts but that doesn't mean there aren't any. If you haven't already, you might want to update your graphics card driver.
  5. seanc

seanc Newcomer, in training Posts: 284

I would suspect that it's an intermittent fault with the monitor that will get worse. Probably the backlight inverter.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.