Monitor not receiving signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. So I have a fairly new system that my friend put together for me last month. It has been working fine up until this morning, when I booted it up and the monitor stayed in sleep mode. The rest of the computer seems to be running fine... as in lights, fans, etc. I opened it up and made sure everything was connected. Also tried to boot with only one stick of RAM in. Any suggestions on what this could be?

Specs:

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core Processor 2.2GHZ 4MB 95W Socket AM2+
ASUS M3A ATX AM2+ AMD 770 DDR2 PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 RAID Sound Motherboard
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB Hard Drive SATA2 7200RPM 11MS 8MB Cache 5YR MFR Warranty
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS Hard Drive 3 Year MFR Warranty
Coolermaster Real Power 750W ATX 12V V2.2 SLI Active PFC 80PLUS Power Supply 120MM Fan
And I beleive the video card, which I got from my friend, is a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS

Try booting from a Cold Boot to SAFE MODE by pressing the <F8> key once per second as soon as you press the on button.
If you get something on the screen is safe mode, the problem is likely in the Video graphics socket or the video graphics driver.
Alternately, bring in a regular known working CFT monitor to see if you have a signal there.
You know it is probably either a monitor or a video graphics card, but still there can be a memory problem or a hard drive error that will cause this problem.
Until you know more, both the nVidia GeForce 7600 GS and the monitor are suspects.

Thank for the quick reply!
Just tried those two things. Still no signal on the other monitor and pressing f8 didn't get any response. I am about to try my brothers computer with my monitor....

I forgot to mention I also have an external hard drive hooked up.. if that means anything?

This may sound silly but I had this problem once and it turned out that when I reseated the video card everything was fine. Have you tried doing that yet?

i would suggest the same. re-seat the card. also, if you have SLI try the other slot. Might also try the other output on the video card. Since the other monitor didnt get the signal id imaging its the video card itself, can you place the card in a different computer?? that would tell you if its the card or the motherboard/chipset

My friend came over tonight with his video card and the same thing happened. Does this eliminate the video card as the problem? We also tried different cables to connect to the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back