TechSpot

Monitor taking minutes to start. Is it dying? Fixable?

By Mugsy
Oct 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I use a nice old Asus VW266 27" LCD monitor that's at least 5 years old.

Recently, it suddenly started taking several minutes to finally detect a signal after turning on the computer.

When the computer is off, the power light on the monitor is orange. When I turn on my computer, it blinks blue until it detects a signal, at which point it goes solid blue. This takes about 3 minutes during which time the monitor is off (no logo, no backlight).

Once the monitor finally "warms up", it suddenly detects a signal and instantly turns on (no "fade in"). I connected it to on-board video to rule out my video card. Once it starts working, it's perfect. Runs fine for hours. No flicker, no fading, no outages.

So, is my monitor dying? What might be wrong and is there a way to fix it w/o spending a fortune? (it is very hard to find affordable 16:10 monitors nowadays, so I'm not anxious to replace it.)

Thx.

2. cafamol

cafamol TS Rookie

I think this is easy to fix ...
    Don't worry
    Just some tests must be done by a technician to know what exactly is happening

You may also try to unplug the monitor after it detects the signal and reconnect it to see what will happen ... This may make it more easy to determine what is wrong

3. Mugsy

Mugsy TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 361   +9

Great, I'll try that tomorrow morining and report back. Thx.

4. Mugsy

Okay. Started the computer this morning. Monitor took around 10 minutes for a picture to finally appear (no fade-in. Right to Windows login screen.)

Unplugged the DVI cable from the back of the computer and the monitor went black with a "Signal lost" message on screen. Plugged it back in, and image returned about two seconds later.

What's the diagnosis, Doc? :)

Addendum: Did a quick reboot and everything was normal. Monitor did not need to "warm up" again.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  5. Mugsy

Sunday, my monitor took about 2-1/2 minutes to detect a signal.

Tuesday: 6:45
    Wednesday: 8:15
    Thursday: 9:30

I'm hoping this is fixable. Once the monitor is on, it works flawlessly. I'd hate to trash it and spend $650 on a replacement if I don't have to.

Anyone?

6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Just basing it off what you have said and how random it is it sounds to me like the monitor maybe just getting on in age and starting to go bad. When it takes along time to detect a signal and randomly has a wide range of start times it sounds to me like the monitor is having an issue with its board.

Try cleaning with a can of air including the connections to see if that helps but honestly it might require physical repair depending on whats wrong. I would not worry much though otherwise because repairs tend to be a little pricey especially since this is a 5 year old monitor.

7. Mugsy

I'll try that. It certainly seems like something is dying (rapidly) with it taking an extra 90 seconds to start every day.

It's just that once it comes up, it works flawlessly, making the thought of trashing it and spending hundreds on a replacement seem impulsive.

8. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 422   +48

You have to replace the capacitors in the power regulator, especially the small ones, but preferably all of them.Beware the polarity and use good quality stuff.

9. Mugsy

Thanks for the follow-up.

If I were good with a soldering iron, I might attempt such a repair, but since I'm not and the problem seems to be aging electronics not something simple like "blowing out the dust", I guess I'm going to have to knuckle down and buy a new monitor. (I started scouting 27" or larger 16:10 monitors. Amazing how rare they've become.)

This morning, the monitor failed to start after 75 minutes before I gave up and dug my old dying 20" out of the closet. :(

Thx.

10. ralledwihric

ralledwihric TS Rookie

You have to replace the capacitors in the power regulator, especially the small ones, but preferably all of them.Beware the polarity and use good quality stuff.[​IMG]