Monitor vs. TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtr690

This is my second post. I have decided to build my own custom pc for gaming. I am new to pc gaming and I'm sick of cheap PC's. But I can't figure out what i should get for a player. Right now I have a 4 year old 20" plasma and its time to upgrade. I have a ps3 and 360 and would love to have 1 tv/moniter to save space and money. Keeping it under $1000

What I would like in a moniter:
Full 1080p
Tv Tuner
HDMI ports
40" +
Very good picture quality for pc and ps3/360

From my researching I've only found one close to any of these
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4642653&CatId=3774

Only problem is it doesn't have a tv tuner so its just a giant moniter that i cant watch tv on. If i could get this to play tv then i would be all over it.

Am I just better off getting a really nice 20" monitor and getting a big 40" t.v. later?
Or Should I go with Something that's all of the above list just small like 26". The reason why i am so concerned with size is because i have pretty bad eyesight already. And a very odd shaped room lol. Or can a TV play just as good as a monitor? Cause that would work for me too. Tell me what you guys think, I'm sure you all know best

Thx for any help

Does the $1000 include the PC and monitor or just the monitor? It is possible to include a TV card in you new PC that will allow you to watch TV and see the computer on one monitor

Does the $1000 include the PC and monitor or just the monitor? It is possible to include a TV card in you new PC that will allow you to watch TV and see the computer on one monitor
No just the monitor/tv for $1000, as long as its a monitor with everything on list.
As for the device you talking about. Do I plug it into pc? Because i just want a monitor that works like a normal tv. I don't plan on keeping my pc on 24/7

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4642653&CatId=3774
If i can use this monitor that would be awsome. What if i got a cable box and used the composite cables instead of a direct connection. Would that work?

Yes, if you had a cable box you'd be able to watch TV normally. What Tmagic was referring to is a TV tuner card you put in your PC, typically a PCI or PCIe card although USB ones are becoming pretty popular. You would need your computer on to watch TV, what you would be doing is passing a TV signal through your computer and onto your display.

I would be cautious about using a screen that big as your only display though. I can't imagine it looking good for much outside of gaming and video. Text will probably look fairly poor. How far away are you going to be sitting from it? May be worth looking at a 37-40" instead of a 47". I have a Mac Mini hooked up to a 46" and I sit about 8' away, I wouldn't like to use that as my only PC but it is fine for watching movies.

Really... well that doesn't sound great. Maybe Ill just the tv and a small monitor. Im sure i can still watch stuff with it. And it will most likely be a 40 inch

I didn't want to 100% shoot your hopes down on a larger tv as a PC monitor, I just wanted to give you my perspective and make you aware that it might be difficult to use for computing tasks other than video/gaming.

As for the deal sites. There are plenty, but one of the better formatted ones that always has a TV section is www.dealnews.com may be worth you checking out.

if you can
i would wait for led screens to get popular and ether get one of those or get an lcd b/c they will get cheaper as led rises

i have similar problem, my friend told me you can get a multi screen option HDTV that can have for instance ps3 on one side of the tv and laptop/computer on the other.

must do some research

I didn't want to 100% shoot your hopes down on a larger tv as a PC monitor, I just wanted to give you my perspective and make you aware that it might be difficult to use for computing tasks other than video/gaming.

As for the deal sites. There are plenty, but one of the better formatted ones that always has a TV section is www.dealnews.com may be worth you checking out.

I actually more wanted a pc monitor as a tv. But i thought about it and i still want a small monitor for when i just want 2 relax in a nice chair at a desk. Cause if i have a 40" monitor i don't think i should sit 2 feet from it. not a very good idea. My plan is to get a 40" tv 1080p tv for like $600 and then get a 19-22'' high quality monitor.

When i get all the money of course...

Well the main difference between monitors and tvs is
1)resolution
2)inputs(hdmi, composite, component, svideo, cable tuner)
3)built in speakers
4)Remote
smile1.gif

If you are looking for a small tv for say a college dorm you really cant beat buying a 22" LCD monitor for $130. Similar size tvs cost around $300. But if you want anything bigger than 26" im going to say buy a LCD tv. They are definitly the best bang for your buck and can still be used as a monitor, but usually not over 720p/1080p res. Hope this helps.

I think this pal just want a screen to use it as a tv&pc monitor right? they are indeed expensive but i think it's worth... personally i tried it and it's ok (at least around 20-25 inches)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back