TechSpot

Monitor won't turn on

By kora8
Jul 10, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, I plugged my monitor into my computer and it won't work. The computer light is green and seems to work fine, the monitor light is yellow as if it doesn't receive a signal. What should I do?
  2. ThomasW

ThomasW TS Rookie

First thing's first: are you plugging the monitor into a graphics card or into an on-board slot on your motherboard?

It is likely that you have either a bad monitor or a bad graphics card. It is also possible that you have dirty RAM or a dying power supply. Hopefully you can either test the monitor in another machine or test another monitor on your machine. Are any of the parts I mentioned new, or did this start on an old machine?
  3. kora8

kora8 TS Rookie Topic Starter

No this was just out of the blue, the monitor is fine, and the computer worked before. I jokingly put a windows Vista disk into the disk drive, I plugged the drive into another computer and it worked. I also never played with the graphics card so I don't think that's it, unless Windows 95 graphics cards randomly go bad.
  4. JamesP

JamesP TS Rookie Posts: 38

Its the graphic card, replace it, sometime other cards or componets prevent a signal to be sent to the monitor, good luck
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.