monitor won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i need some help. my monitor wont turn on and the computer does. im pretty sure that the computer is not booting though. i've had similar problems before, but i fixed it by simply reseating the video card. well this time i tried that and it didnt work. so i tried using the onboard video and it didnt work either. if anyone can help out i would really appreciate it. oh yeah i tried another video card.
if it matters the video card i was using first was AGP
the second onboard
and the third was PCI

if u need any more info i will gladly supply it if it solves my problem.
thanx alot.
nknftz

i already tried the monitor on my laptop and it worked fine but i dont have another monitor to use on my desktop. also i failed to mention what lead to this prob so let me explain. my western digital hard drive failed and then i had another hard drive laying around from a pc i had taken apart and it already had an o/s on it. so i plugged in the hard drive and it worked the screen came on and everything. it booted just fine. then i turned it off just to secure the hard disk into place to use it temporarily till i got my replacement for my broken hard drive. when i tried to turn on the pc again, the monitor would not turn on. it just stayed in its sleep mode. i tried switching the ram around taking one stick out leaving th other in stuff like that. i disconnected everything just hoping for a screen to say i needed boot media. nothing i tried to reset the cmos as people have suggested on other forums with this prob posted. i even left the motherboard disconnected from the power supply for a while. im out of ideas so if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it. thanx a lot.

If this monitor is an LCD flat panel model, you need to make sure you are running the video at a vertical refresh rate of 60Hz. Of course, if you can't see any image, this may be very difficult to do. This is why I always keep a CRT monitor around for troubleshooting. Have you tried reseting the motherboard's CMOS?

it is a lcd monitor and configuring the hertz will be a pain with out another monitor but if i use another pc right beside me as i do this i might be able to do it with no monitor. of course i'll only be able to use the keyboard cuz a mouse is pointless if you cant see it. but maybe instead of going through all of that i can borrow a monitor from someone or find one i could use that. i did try resetting the cmos but i have no way of knowing if it worked cuz i still can't see anything. thanx and please keep the suggestions coming.

I was hoping that the CMOS reset would bring back video for at least the booting sequence... Good luck ;) Let us know what works out with this

i most definetly will reply with what ever works. i noticed that this problem is common and no one has the answer many times. so in order to help all of us poor bastards that have this problem i am determined to find a solution. and if anyone wants to help me please feel free. and thanx for trying to help already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back