TechSpot

More HD storage

By qtech
Aug 19, 2005
  1. Hi,i have a dell demension 4550 with 40 gig HD.I have 23 gigs free space,and i would like to increase my storage.
    How should i go about doing this? thanks in advance. :knock:

2. El Presidente

El Presidente TS Rookie Posts: 40

The quickest and easiest way to get more storage space is to purchase an external hard drive that connects via USB. All you do is plug in the drive to the USB port and you have instant storage. You can easily find one at a Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart?, or at an online store such as www.newegg.com. Another, more permanent, option is to purchase an internal hard drive via the same methods listed above. Just make sure it is not a "Serial ATA" or "SCSI" drive.

If you want to clean up your existing hard drive, you can use some of the programs found here: www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdiskclean.html

Hope this is what you were looking for!

3. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 170

Hey, make more exact! What do you want, you have 23 Gb free space, it means that you want increase partition till 40Gb by merge two partitions? Or you just want to add new HDD? :cool:

4. qtech

qtech TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Char x,El Presidente told me what i needed to know
    Thx again guys. :hotouch: :chef:

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

if you format the USB External as FAT32, you can plug it into multiple systems
    with various OS and Filesystems, eg: Mac, Linux, and Win98/se (which will
    not support NTFS). Reports elsewhere complain that XP really fouls up
    partition tables and formatting, so be sure to use something like
    Partition Magic, or format it on a non-XP system first.

6. qtech

qtech TS Rookie Topic Starter

THX JoBeard for the info

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.