More than 85,000 people are playing 'Resident Evil 7' in VR (and other fun facts)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, out since January 24, takes the franchise in a completely different direction. Based on early figures, it’s a gamble that appears to be paying dividends.

Capcom recently revealed that worldwide shipments of Resident Evil 7 topped 2.5 million units in its first three days on the market, pushing cumulative sales of games in the franchise past the 75 million mark since first launching way back in 1996. As such, Capcom said Resident Evil is now its flagship game series.

Results thus far shouldn’t be all that surprising considering the game’s demo was downloaded 7.15 million times, a record for the series.

Resident Evil 7 also stands out as one of the first AAA titles to be fully playable in virtual reality.

According to Capcom’s ResidentEvil.net, more than 85,000 of the nearly 900,000 gamers that currently participate in Capcom’s opt-in stats tracking platform are playing Resident Evil 7 using Sony’s PlayStation VR headset (as you may know, Resident Evil 7 VR is a PlayStation VR exclusive for the first year). In other words, nearly one in 10 people are tackling the game via virtual reality.

In related news, Dark Side of Gaming is reporting that the latest version of anti-tamper tool Denuvo, which Capcom utilized with Resident Evil 7, has already been cracked. Considering that Bethesda, Crytek and Playdead all removed Denuvo from shipped games once they’d been cracked, it’s entirely plausible that Capcom may soon do the same with Resident Evil 7 via software update.

Permalink to story.

as you may know, Resident Evil 7 VR is a PlayStation VR exclusive for the first year
I was considering buying it, but it's garbage like this that makes me pirate things on principle. I don't even care about VR, but I hate this exclusivity garbage. How many people who already have a PC or Xbox are going to go out and buy a PS4 just to play in VR? What purpose does this serve?

as you may know, Resident Evil 7 VR is a PlayStation VR exclusive for the first year
I was considering buying it, but it's garbage like this that makes me pirate things on principle. I don't even care about VR, but I hate this exclusivity garbage. How many people who already have a PC or Xbox are going to go out and buy a PS4 just to play in VR? What purpose does this serve?

It promotes their platform at the expense of everyone else. No one is going to go out and buy a PS4 just for this game's VR but current PS4 owners might consider getting the PSVR. I don't really know though, can't say I like the idea of buying of VR headset that will only work during the limited lifespan of the PS4 with subpar hardware and motion detection. When you are talking about spending over $800 just on console hardware, you might as well just buy a PC.

-_-.

Capcom would have been paid a pretty penny for that exclusivity deal which means polish and features that are in RE7 would not have existed at all had this deal not taken place because they would not have had the money to pay for it. So if this deal did not exist, you would not be getting the game that exists now, even if you could have it on day one. What that money paid for in development, no one knows, but I can only image it would gone into the VR that critics are saying is the bees knees.

Last edited by a moderator:
-_-.

Capcom would have been paid a pretty penny for that exclusivity deal which means polish and features that are in RE7 would not have existed at all had this deal not taken place because they would not have had the money to pay for it. So if this deal did not exist, you would not be getting the game that exists now, even if you could have it on day one. What that money paid for in development, no one knows, but I can only image it would gone into the VR that critics are saying is the bees knees.
Who said that the VR exclusive even paid for anything? It's not as though they had the money from the beginning, cause they did. The exclusive deal maybe got done within the final 3-6 months before the game was out, which would mean the game was alrdy being worked on, hell maybe even almost completed.

So the only thing Sony paid for was the VR, not for the game being in development or anything. It's not a big loss for Xbox since their VR isn't even coming till Nov. and will likely have RE 7 VR version in the works come early next year since the deal will be over then.
Most PC gamers don't care about VR anyways but for the minority that do, PC will likely get it the same time the new xbox gets it, maybe even some tweaks here and there.

-_-.

If Capcom can't afford to make good games on their own then maybe they shouldn't be making games
Who said that the VR exclusive even paid for anything? It's not as though they had the money from the beginning, cause they did. The exclusive deal maybe got done within the final 3-6 months before the game was out, which would mean the game was alrdy being worked on, hell maybe even almost completed.

So the only thing Sony paid for was the VR, not for the game being in development or anything. It's not a big loss for Xbox since their VR isn't even coming till Nov. and will likely have RE 7 VR version in the works come early next year since the deal will be over then.
Most PC gamers don't care about VR anyways but for the minority that do, PC will likely get it the same time the new xbox gets it, maybe even some tweaks here and there.
I'm saying that exclusive anything makes me rage

You pirates will use any old excuse to pirate a game. This exclusivity thing isn't something new and has been going around for some time now. Grow up and deal with it for ****'s sake. Or get out and get a job that pays you so you can contribute to keeping gaming companies alive..

It is you lot that is intent on causing companies to shut down or reduce budgets on games. It's a far-flung scenario, but that does not mean it can't happen when all your favorite games cease being made or publishers shutting their doors (just look what happened to THQ) because you kept pirating their stuff.

You pirates will use any old excuse to pirate a game. This exclusivity thing isn't something new and has been going around for some time now. Grow up and deal with it for ****'s sake. Or get out and get a job that pays you so you can contribute to keeping gaming companies alive..

It is you lot that is intent on causing companies to shut down or reduce budgets on games. It's a far-flung scenario, but that does not mean it can't happen when all your favorite games cease being made or publishers shutting their doors (just look what happened to THQ) because you kept pirating their stuff.
Well I have a job and live comfortably enough. I would like to point out that we live in a world where we vote with our dollars. Companies that use exclusivity have not EARNED my dollars. As far as THQ is concerned, they went under because they were putting out garbage games.

Do you know what really pisses me off? Buying a game and having it turn out to be garbage, then I'm stuck with a $60 icon in my steam library. Everyone is crying about the poor developers who get their software pirated. Well doesn't anyone care about the customers who are getting ripped off by those same developers? Whatever happened to demos? Oh, that's right, an original game hasn't come out in over 10 years.

You can't even trust reviews anymore. All the reviewers need to keep getting games to review so they can make money from Ads so they HAVE to give the game a good review. The developers have destroyed trust between gamers, their bread and butter. They release garbage products and blame piracy when it doesn't sell well. Look at GTA V and Skyrim, great games and they sold EXTREMELY well.

I bought Civ 6 thinking it would be a great game since, you know, I've played every one since Civ2. Civ 6 is absolute garbage, the AI is broken to the point that it's near unplayable. And can I return it? NO! If I buy a TV at walmart and don't like it I can take it back. Developers have started this trend that if you buy a game and don't like it, too F***ing bad, your money is theirs now. Then people like you want to judge people for pirating a game? Oh, yeah, I'm just making excuses. I pirate games because literally hundreds of dollars has been stolen from me by developers and their shady business practices. Maybe you should get a job so you can learn what it feels like to have your hard earned cash stolen from you.

If gaming companies need to resort to shady business practices to stay afloat then they do not deserve to be in business. I also doubt that VR exclusivity for PS4 had anything to do with extra funding for "polish" as others have suggested.

I bought Civ 6 thinking it would be a great game since, you know, I've played every one since Civ2. Civ 6 is absolute garbage, the AI is broken to the point that it's near unplayable. And can I return it? NO!

Remembering how Civ5 was, you should have seen that one coming.

They ended up fixing Civ 5, but it was still playable at launch. In Civ 6 if I even attack someones city who has been attacking me everyone on the planet declares war on me. I can't defend myself without everyone attacking me. That and it seems like they only have 1/4th the civs to choose from.

It's a pity I have to wait so long to play it on the Vive, I guess it's ultimately guaranteed to be a little cheaper by then though.

(Hopefully)

They ended up fixing Civ 5, but it was still playable at launch. In Civ 6 if I even attack someones city who has been attacking me everyone on the planet declares war on me. I can't defend myself without everyone attacking me. That and it seems like they only have 1/4th the civs to choose from.
agree. Civ VI is broken right now. My friends dont understand why I dont want to plunk down another $60 for civ VI. Civ V needed multiple expansions before it was great, and even then the AI is borderline "special" and is far too predictable. VI was more of the same garbage, just like beyond earth, with none of the issues fixed. The AI was the big "wrong" thing with V and BE, and that has not been fixed. Why would I buy another civ game in the hopes that they MAY fix it?

And yeah, pirating is the only way to try a game now. I dont care if devs wine about it, if they refuse to give me demos, I refuse to buy their game for more then $5 unless I get to try it via pirating first.

But then, I've said before that I am amazed at how consumer hostile the gaming industry has become over the years. It's even more amazing HOW MANY people buy into it.

It promotes their platform at the expense of everyone else. No one is going to go out and buy a PS4 just for this game's VR but current PS4 owners might consider getting the PSVR. I don't really know though, can't say I like the idea of buying of VR headset that will only work during the limited lifespan of the PS4 with subpar hardware and motion detection. When you are talking about spending over $800 just on console hardware, you might as well just buy a PC.

You can always buy Vive or Oculus none is against that...

Back