More than half of Americans use mobile phones instead of landlines

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A recent study from the Centers for Disease Control used to track demographics of landline telephones reveals that more than half of US homes don’t have or didn’t use their land-based telephones in 2012. The evidence really isn’t all that surprising when you consider the adoption rate of mobile phones, especially among young people.

Looking at the numbers individually, the CDC discovered that roughly a third of Americans (35.8 percent, to be exact) relied solely on wireless phones for voice communication. 15.9 percent of all homes surveyed had wireless phones and landlines but handled almost all of their calls via mobile phone.

Combined, 51.7 percent of US homes either don’t have a landline or don’t use it as their primary phone, an increase of 1.8 percent year over year.

As alluded to earlier, the numbers are skewed even more with regards to younger generations. For example, 60.1 percent of people aged 25 to 29 lived in homes without any landline service. The report also shows that people who rent their homes tend to avoid landlines. In this category, 58.2 percent of respondents relied on mobile devices only.

The same holds true for families with lower incomes where 51.8 percent of adults living in poverty owned cell phones instead of landlines. Only 30.7 percent of people with higher incomes lived without home phone service, according to the survey. In the same respect, data shows that landline owners are more likely to have amenities like health insurance.

Permalink to story.

USA and Canada are wayyy behind the times in this area, most of the rest of the world haven't used landlines forever. Even the in the phillipines even poor folks don't use land lines and only cells. Land lines are a western thing. Thank goodness its slowly fading out, hate not being able to get a hold of someone.

Wow... people still use landlines for non-work purposes? I install satellites and hardly anyone in my area have hardlines to connect a receiver or phone...

I still have a landline at home, but rarely ever use it. Only reason I still have a landline is it comes bundle with my cable service and for a while it was cheaper to keep the bundle with the phone I never use. Now I think it cost me about $4 a month to keep the phone with the bundle.
I might drop it after I get a new cell phone. My current phone is old and likes to reboot on me in the middle of phone calls, so I use the landline to call out a lot recently when I'm at home.

But this trend doesn't surprise me. A lot of people I know only have a landline so they can keep their DSL service. A good chunk of the area I live it, DSL is their only option for internet (discount dial-up of course). ISP / phone companies wont hook up DSL w/o a landline in place.

As soon as cable internet and WiMax became popular around here a lot of people dropped their landlines tho.

I dropped my landline once I realized that the only people who called it were telemarketers. I only use my cell phone now, with absolutely zero regrets.

I just had twins 4 months ago so I'd imagine ill have to add a landline at my home for emergency purposes, but I wouldnt plan on using it for any other calls.

Anyone ever seen one of those phones in the middle of nowhere when they were younger? I've seen some randomly sitting on poles xD

I think there is still a payphone where my mother used to work. I used it one time to call 911 and the cop came up while my friend and I were in the woods behind the tanning shop. He came over and asked if we had called and I said that I didnt. He told me that the payphone took pictures when 911 was dialed. Scared the crap outta me, lol.

I never even knew that was possible lol. I still see payphones at some of the gas stations I've been to though. Haven't heard of anyone calling collect in a while though.

We still have a landline that comes bundled with the cable service, though we have more cell phones than we have people in the house.

I still have a landline. It's bundled with my cable Internet making the package cheaper. I still prefer using the landline for longer calls (especially when you have to be on hold), and for someone like me on a pre-paid service it's a lot cheaper to than a mobile call.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to see pay phones around just in case my mobile is low on battery someplace. They'll certainly be around in workplaces and such for a long time to come.

But this trend doesn't surprise me. A lot of people I know only have a landline so they can keep their DSL service. A good chunk of the area I live it, DSL is their only option for internet (discount dial-up of course). ISP / phone companies wont hook up DSL w/o a landline in place.

As soon as cable internet and WiMax became popular around here a lot of people dropped their landlines tho.

Well there are ISPs who offer Dry DSL. Just the big DSL service providers usually refuse it, since they know it nets them more money. Call me crazy but I think the Dry DSL, is likely to scare big name ISPs, into trying to muscle out smaller companies. Especially when it comes down to, using multiple lines in a home. They don't want to lose money, from extra phone lines usually.

My net + line is about $115 a month. I'd rather pay simply for my net, and cut the phone line I'm using. I'm on an unlimited package, which they'd rather me not have. Just caps are so low, I refuse to change otherwise. I'm seeing smaller services offering better, only problem is I'm a fair distance away.

Cable is a no go, simply because of the room location. Otherwise I'd have jumped on cable internet, said screw the phone line and been happy using voIP instead. I'm not always able to pay completely, so my bill is tacked onto each month. Simply because my plans never work, no matter how hard I really try.

Honestly who wants a big name ISP, charging pointless prices for low caps like 75GB? I'd easily use 100-150GB between YouTube watching, watching streams, etc and I've stopped torrenting early 2012. Only things via P2P really, would be when I'm saving sites bandwidth. Which they offer torrent, direct download, etc for things which are completely free. They'd rather you tack on extra bandwidth, for yet another fee per month. All simply so you can get that 15/10Mbps speeds on fibre? I'd be back to $70-75 a month, simply with tacking extra bandwidth on.

I'm all for those prices, but I want better rates instead. Canada is absolutely horrible, in terms of internet speeds and caps. Looking for better services please! =)

*end rant*

Back