More than half of Android devices are now running Jelly Bean 4.1 or higher

Justin Kahn

android jelly bean

It likely wasn't the adoption rate Google was hoping for, but it appears as though Jelly Bean seems to have finally been taken on by the majority of Android users. While it has been almost a year and a half, and it is marginally more than half of Android users, those upgrading to Jelly Bean 4.2 have increased steadily over the last few months.

Google recently published its October operating system distribution numbers straight from its OS dashboard, and we can see that 52.1% of Android owners have moved up to Jelly Bean, with 26.3% still on Gingerbread and nearly 20% on Ice Cream Sandwich.

Diving in deeper, we can see that most of the Jelly Bean users are still on the older version 4.1 at 37.3%, with 14.8% having moved up to 4.2 or higher.

Even with adoption to Jelly Bean starting to reach a significant number and upgrades to 4.2 on the rise, it all just seems to-little-to-late with Google's new Android OS already starting to reach the public. Android 4.4 Kit Kat is designed to support as many devices as possible, so its likely Jelly Bean won't remain at the top of the list for very long.

Permalink to story.

If you include ICS, which isn't really too different, it's closer to what Google wants.

I'm just shocked at the amount of GB users compared to ICS users.

They're going by what tablet owners have on their tablet when they use Play Store. But Play Store is not 100% accurate. They don't take into consideration, 1 Mobile Market, Amazon App Store. They are the other. There are still plenty of Gingerbread Tablets out there. I support a lot them still, along with Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean. Get this there are still tablet owners on Donut still.

Froyo and Honeycomb (tablet only) these two OS didn't really make heads spin. Eclair was very popular.

This is probably because Google is fast asleep when it comes to rolling out new updates for older devices. I think they'd rather have us throw away perfectly good devices in favour of us buying the latest. Now if they had their HQ close to a landfill site...

This is probably because Google is fast asleep when it comes to rolling out new updates for older devices. I think they'd rather have us throw away perfectly good devices in favour of us buying the latest. Now if they had their HQ close to a landfill site...

They don't do that as much as you think. All they're doing is adding features from Donut era to present Jelly Bean era. Just building on the same code and improving along the way. For them to fix anything never really get done to the point. All these companies do the same thing when it comes to the OS. Android is very quick OS since it base on ROM/RAM/NAND to make it move so fast without any mechanical hardware to slow it down.

I always thought that it was the phone maker's responsibility to roll out the updates specifically to each of their phones. Hence no older models do not get updates unless they root their phones and load custom roms.

I always thought that it was the phone maker's responsibility to roll out the updates specifically to each of their phones. Hence no older models do not get updates unless they root their phones and load custom roms.

Yeah you're right.

Back